• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Scope, 2015 Manufacture Date? (1 Viewer)

jgp84

Hi everyone,
After a lifetime of lusting, this week I finally purchased my first Swaro scope, the 85mm ATX. I ordered from B&H. As of now only the objective lens has arrived.

I noticed during unboxing that the unit is dated September of 2015. Is it normal to receive a lens of this age when buying new? Have the scopes improved or changed in any way in the past 5 years?

What’s more, the interior cardboard holding the scope was torn, and there’s a very tiny, but can’t-unsee-once-seen blemish in the finish near the 30X focal length numeral- see photo.

I’m sure after some time in the field this superficial blemish will be but one of many, like those on my 15yr old ELs. On its own I would probably not stress about it...but in combination with the old date and the damaged box...it’s left me considering a return for another unit.

Am I overreacting? Has anyone experienced something similar? I’m waiting for the eyepiece to arrive on Monday before making a decision but wanted to field thoughts here. Hopefully the performance will be outstanding and assuage any concern for the cardboard box...
Thanks!

Attachments

• 42DA57A6-B790-44D5-A510-666B47B9E092.jpeg
    42DA57A6-B790-44D5-A510-666B47B9E092.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 101
Hi,

well, these things don't get bad with age... I would at least wait until the EP is there and give it a proper test (read up on star testing during the waiting time) and decide then.

Was it on a special sale or just normal price?

Joachim, who has seen too many not so great alpha scopes... and will gladly buy an old cherry with cosmetic problems any day over a shiny new alpha which turns out to be not so great...

Last edited:
Thanks. That’s true, I won’t mind the age if there haven’t been any refinements in newer production runs - I’m coming from a photography background where such is not uncommon, so I thought it could be worth asking. This was a normal, full-priced purchase.

Thanks. That’s true, I won’t mind the age if there haven’t been any refinements in newer production runs - I’m coming from a photography background where such is not uncommon, so I thought it could be worth asking. This was a normal, full-priced purchase.

Well, not nice as this one was obviously taken out of the box, but still wait for the EP unit and test it. If it's a keeper, it's a keeper regardless of the minor cosmetic problem, if not, you can return...

Joachim

Optically they are the same. The foot may be different on the objective lens. If the foot has AS on it, it is the current model.

Optically they are the same. The foot may be different on the objective lens. If the foot has AS on it, it is the current model.

Thanks, that’s good to know. “AS” was indeed printed on the foot, but in the end, I was really bothered by the blemish staring back at me every time I glanced at the zoom range...so I am awaiting an exchange unit.

I would send it back 'What’s more, the interior cardboard holding the scope was torn, and there’s a very tiny, but can’t-unsee-once-seen blemish in the finish near the 30X focal length numeral- see photo.

I doubt seriously if Swaro would send out a box with torn part...sounds like someone purchased, used...carefully put back etc. Probably nothing wrong with it, but frankly for that amount of money, I even would want a 'perfect' box!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back