• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sylivia inornata iberiae (1 Viewer)

The idea remains that despite 'inornata' as a name being incorrect, the birds in NW Africa do in fact look different - cf Sylvia Warblers Shirihai et and Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds Vol1 Shirihai & Svensson. Both describe birds from this region (a 'presumably resident' population) as having plumage differences.

http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/subalpine13/inornata Subalp Mor0306b.JPG - male

I understand that the paper is saying simply that inornata cannot apply to the NW Africa population, but should there be a new name for them? Or not?

Or am I missing something?

Brian

I hope this isn't breaking any protocols, apologies if it is, I'll remove if so advised.

A quote from the paper, no idea if anyone can glean anything from this, most of this way over my head.

Clade 3: western subalpine warbler

At the high end of genetic divergence, clade 3 is isolated from all other lineages in both mitochondrial and nuclear markers. Mitochondrial distances from the other clades are high (3.3–4.1 and 4.4–5.2% for Cytb and COI genes, respectively) and comparable to those observed between full species (Helbig et al., 1995; Hebert et al., 2004; Pons et al., 2016). The substantial lack of shared nuclear alleles is evident in the single intron and in the multilocus networks, and the inferred lack of gene flow with the other lineages supports the recognition of clade 3 as a full species-level group

Genetic analyses of our small North African sample size (one breeding bird from Tunisia and five breeding birds from Morocco) suggest that the populations from the entire Maghreb belong to the same lineage, which is closely related to western European populations from Portugal, Spain, France and north-west Italy. Gene flow between European and North African populations probably followed a western route acrossthe Strait of Gibraltar rather than the Strait of Sicily.This interesting result would need to be confirmedusing more individuals.

Many species belonging to diverse zoological groups occur on both sides of theStrait of Gibraltar, whereas Italian–North African endemics shared across the Strait of Sicily are muchrarer (Husemann et al., 2014). Considering birds,the biogeographical importance of the Strait ofGibraltar as a link between Europe and North Africa has been pointed out by several studies dealing with different species [e.g. Galerida cristata (Linnaeus,1758), Guillaumet et al., 2008; Muscicapa striata(Pallas, 1764), Pons et al., 2016].

Unlike the European population, we did not detect any sign of population expansion for the North African population. Such a difference suggests that these populations do not share the same demographic history. From a biogeographical perspective, it would be interesting to test whether the Maghreb could have played a role as a glacial refugium for the western subalpine warbler.

Having looked at the figures in the paper, I'm amazed the authors stuck with Moltoni's being monotypic. The mtDNA divergence between the island population and Italian mainland population is comparable to that seen between the two Eastern subspecies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back