• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling Behaviour (1 Viewer)

John Ivory

Has anyone else in the UK noticed that some starlings now appear to be feeding on the wing, just like swallows, but without their agility of course?
Sitting in my garden, I noticed starlings constantly circling in the air, and their sudden wing flapping and turns suggest they are catching insects while in flight.

Hi John and welcome to BirdForum. Over the last few days they’ve been doing it over the field next to the house. They look like enormous flycatchers. Somebody I follow on Twitter mentioned the same. I assumed there’s been a hatch of a particular insect species.

Rich

Flying ants often are the prey items, happening over the garden midday today. Gulls also, particularly Hlack headed often do this, especially over organic farmland, as Rich mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back