• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blue tit catastrophe (1 Viewer)

Hello everone,
Up until Friday 8th May ,my blue tits were progressing quite well and falling in with all the characteristics that i have learnt about them. However on said day what i can only describe as a catastrophe occurred .Having spent considerable time over the last 2 weeks or more rummaging around the base of the nest cup widening the bottom for the hatchlings,as iv'e since found out, it has resulted in a complete collapse of the nest.
As i took a late afternoon look i was met by the sight of some of the 10 day old chicks crawling on the top layer, some in what was left of the cup and some underneath the nest. Wanted so much to help them but in the true tradition of "let nature its course",left them to it.
I'm glad to say that another 2 days later all the chicks are still going strong , although they are still strewn all around the nest.
I wondered if this is something that happens occasionally. I'm sure in hindsight that the over zealousness of her over digging and leaving no support was the reason for the collapse.Maybe she is a inexperienced nest builder. Any ideas. One last thing,I know that the chicks are born blind but i have been unable to find out how long this lasts .

Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I’m sorry I can’t help with your questions, hopefully someone from your side of the pond will be along that can help.

Hi again Pete

I've moved your post to the Garden Bird forum, as there will be people in there who are more used to observing Blue Tits nesting behaviour. I think you've probably done the right thing in letting nature take it's course, as there's really little you can do to help very young nestlings.

I'm not sure, but I think their eyes begin to open as they start to develop feathers.

I've subscribed you to this thread so that you can find it easily by clicking on the link supllied in the email that you'll receive with any replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back