Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nesting Common Ringed Plovers

Old Monday 11th May 2020, 16:16   #1
andreadawn
BF Supporter 2020

Nesting Common Ringed Plovers

My daily exercise at the moment takes me along a sandy beach with a few "scars" of pebbles.

On one of the scars a pair of Common Ringed Plovers (Charadrius hiaticula) are nesting. A pair always nests in this particular spot but I don't normally observe them as often as I am doing this year.

I haven't been close enough to check for eggs but based on the bird's behaviour I think they have had eggs for about two weeks now.

They have to put up with several dog walkers and runners passing by just a few metres away every day, not to mention the odd person who stops to watch them through binoculars for a couple of minutes each day, albeit from a much greater distance.

Last week's very high tides brought the sea to within a couple of metres of the nest but still they sit there. On my return today the sitting bird had to contend with a severe sand storm at ground level but was still sat facing into the strong northerly wind and blowing sand. It looked particularly unpleasant.

I don't really know if they have much success as the young are ready to go soon after hatching. I have seen young on the mudflats once but Common Ringed Plover's nests seem to be particularly prone to failure and I've no idea how successful or otherwise the birds that nest here actually are.

It all feels a bit stressful really wondering if they'll be successful but not really knowing. Perhaps it would be better if I didn't know they were there. But I'll still be looking out for them again tomorrow.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th May 2020, 17:35   #2
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Fingers crossed, let us know how it goes!

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: