• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three new London ticks (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I've seen my first ever London nightingale, red kite and pheasant today. This lockdown is doing great things for my London list (which now stands at 109) because I keep going out on my bicycle. I've added oystercatcher, sand martin and sky lark over the previous weeks.

I've seen my first ever London nightingale, red kite and pheasant today. This lockdown is doing great things for my London list (which now stands at 109) because I keep going out on my bicycle. I've added oystercatcher, sand martin and sky lark over the previous weeks.

Excellent!
Keeping well, Robert?

Here's a list of London birds that I still need:

Redpoll
Little Owl
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Bullfinch
Collared Dove
Red-legged Partridge
Meadow Pipit
Great Black-backed Gull
Yellowhammer
Sedge Warbler
Grasshopper Warbler
Greenshank
Dunlin
Yellow Wagtail
Turnstone
Ringed Plover
Stonechat
Whinchat
Coal Tit

I shall try to get some of them over the remainder of the lockdown. I can cycle just about anywhere in north London for exercise. Coal Tit and Collared Dove are a bit embarrassing not to have seen, but then I don't normally do much birding in London. I think there are Sedge Warblers in Regent's Park at the moment so they should be quite gettable.

You've obviously been to Gutteridge Wood today. 2 singing Nightingales at the moment. Not aware of any records from there until just over a week ago. Red Kites are numerous in the area & see them almost daily over the garden not too far away.

Sedge Warbler & Bullfinch were seen there today. Collared Dove fairly common around nearby gardens.

Richmond Park has breeding Stonechats + with luck you may find Coal tit.

Last edited:
Yes I went to Gutteridge Wood last Sunday. The Red Kite was a bit closer in, over Rectory Park. I got Collared Dove today. Maybe Richmond Park should be my target next week.

Got Stonechat today in Richmond Park (a family of them). Also a Reed Bunting, although that wasn't a new one for the list. Couldn't find Little Owl - there are so many trees they might be in and the park is so big. If someone can tell me an exact tree to look in I might consider going back.

Iberian Chiffchaff today and two Red-legged Partridges near the M25, just inside the London boundary.

Also a very un-red kite near Enfield got me thinking about the recent reports of Black Kite in London. But it did show a bit of red on the tail and contrast on the upperwings, so I think it was probably a juvenile Red Kite.

Ringed Plover at Brent Reservoir today. Thanks to Andrew Self on London Birders for posting that it was there.

You might get good birds at St James Park or Hampstead Heath.

Hampstead Heath is better but if I'm looking for something new then really I have to be quite specific about where I look.

My London lockdown list is now up to 81 species with Black Redstart and Peregrine on Fleet Street yesterday.

Little Owl in Richmond Park today and Meadow Pipit in Bushy Park. Couldn't find the Whinchats that have been there though.

Could you tell me where you found the pheasant? That would be great.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back