• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Northern Virginia (1 Viewer)

JerryP

Hello to all.
When I met my wife's mother 46 years ago in Colorado, she looked at me sadly and said with pity, "oh, your a city boy".
Regardless I was raised in a "city" of 5000 and spent my childhood summers in the woods and lakes of Northern Wisconsin.
My mother-in-law was very happy with the 2 children we had in Florida where we lived for 10 years and visited her in Oak Harbor Washington.
Fast forward to the last 22 years my wife and I lived in New York City.
My son has this past year graciously accepted me into his home where I am now "semi-retired". Semi because my kids have a brother-sister business that they "let" me help with.
So now I'm rural and living "the simple life". It's often not realized just how busy and how much work is involved to live that simple life.
We are outside the city limits of Front Royal, Virginia with a view of the south fork of the Shenandoah River and with the sun rising over Blue Ridge Mountains every morning.
A few weeks ago a robin built a nest on my window sill so here I am. |:p|

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

BTW, I was a 7th generation New Yorker before I moved down to Myrtle Beach ;)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Sounds like John Denver country where you live. Lovely!

Thank you Kits and others.

fyi you have amusingly mentioned one of my son's humorous complaints - John Denver. If you look closely at a map of Virginia you will see that there is far more Shenandoah River and Blue Mountains than West Virginia. So my son objects to the song. He thinks Virginia is more correctly "almost heaven". He grumbles (with an underlying chuckle) when he hears the song.

I'm somewhat more forgiving of John Denver.

Not that I could write a song but I write haiku's for my wife and my anniversaries (just celebrated 46) and I can appreciate that Denver has to deal with syllabic and rhyming challenges. He HAD to have that "west" syllable there and if he'd have said "North Virginia" it might not have been recognized.

So I am in John Denver country, almost heaven, Virginia o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back