Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

John's Mammals 2020

Old Wednesday 20th May 2020, 08:42   #76
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

Water Shrews are showing well in Eaton, South Norwich at the moment along with water voles.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ws4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	727706  Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Vole (6).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	727707  

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th May 2020, 09:17   #77
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHows View Post
Water Shrews are showing well in Eaton, South Norwich at the moment along with water voles.

Mark
Class! Thanks for posting.

I was going to make an effort with Water Shrews this year but I've decided next year will do - Norwich is a bit far at the moment.

John
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 13:53   #78
jurek

Just to hijack the thread. I had possibly the best mammal observation in my life.
https://vimeo.com/420457219
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=390073
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 07:43   #79
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
Just to hijack the thread. I had possibly the best mammal observation in my life.
https://vimeo.com/420457219
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=390073
I'd possibly agree... and it's not a hijack, that's what this thread is for! Congratulations

John
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 21:36   #80
dantheman
Bah humbug

This doesn't compare with a big cat of course, but had a fox cub experience earlier on today which was pretty cool - no camera or even phone though.

So I was stood in a trackway when I spotted a young fox cub bimbling along further down and coming towards me, exploring the ground and smelling everything. Not sure how old it would have been but it was maybe a touch larger than the largest domestic cat you normally see out. Anyway it seemed quite young and spent a few moments worrying about a hogweed leaf blowing about in the middle of the way. I was in the middle of eating a banana at the time so I broke a few chunks off and threw them down the track about 30 feet away. It hadn't noticed me, but ate the banana when it came to it! It was only when it kept coming toward me and about 10 feet away that it saw me and legged it back without a backward glance. Saw an adult too in the vicinity wandering about a couple of times that afternoon too.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 06:34   #81
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
This doesn't compare with a big cat of course, but had a fox cub experience earlier on today which was pretty cool - no camera or even phone though.

So I was stood in a trackway when I spotted a young fox cub bimbling along further down and coming towards me, exploring the ground and smelling everything. Not sure how old it would have been but it was maybe a touch larger than the largest domestic cat you normally see out. Anyway it seemed quite young and spent a few moments worrying about a hogweed leaf blowing about in the middle of the way. I was in the middle of eating a banana at the time so I broke a few chunks off and threw them down the track about 30 feet away. It hadn't noticed me, but ate the banana when it came to it! It was only when it kept coming toward me and about 10 feet away that it saw me and legged it back without a backward glance. Saw an adult too in the vicinity wandering about a couple of times that afternoon too.
Nice one! Who doesn't like a banana? Certainly not an opportunistic omnivore like a fox.

That'll teach you to let your camera out of arms reach - clear breach of Rule 1!

Cheers

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: