• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our Backyard List (1 Viewer)

Azzy

I've noticed, that our backyard seems to play host to a fairly large number of species, despite it's size. We live in a small town, so I attribute the diversity of the species that visit our garden due to the surrounding conservation parks and things. Our backyard consists of a small patch of lawn, surrounded by rose bushes and horrible candle pines, a single gum tree, and then on the other side, a small native rockery garden that I've created around a fish pond. What surprises me most about the number of species though, is the fact that we don't have a feeder. Now, of course I don't see most of these birds every day, let along every week or month. Some of them come through seasonally.... but they've still used our garden :) Do other people in somewhat rural areas get as many species?

In order of what I remembered :p

1. Australian magpie
2. Grey shrike-thrush
3. Red wattlebird
4. Litte wattlebird
5. Magpie lark
6. Willy wagtail
7. Mistletoe bird
8. New holland honeyeater
9. Adelaide rosella
10. Musk lorikeet
11. Rainbow lorikeet
12. Galah (fly very low that they dodge around the cubby house and shed)
13. Striated pardalote
14. Yellow-rumped thornbill
15. Red-browed finch
16. White-plumed honeyeater
17. Noisy miner
18. Welcome swallow
19. Silvereye
20. Crested pigeon

Also, the birds that fly somewhat higher and aren't really using the yard
21. Short-billed corella
22. Rainbow bee eater
23. Sulphur-crested cockatoo
24. Grey currawong

We also get these introduced species (who doesn't :p)
House sparrow
Blackbird
Starling
European goldfich
Spotted turtledove

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back