• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

It all becomes clearer now John ;) . It seems the ransom for getting the Park to allow the road to be upgraded was to then stop anybody from using it.

Sounds about right.

Unfortunately in the case of both roads there is a choice between restricting access, either through regulation or ensuring that the road is almost unusable, or having a heavily used road. Roads for ornithologists only simply do not come on the provincial agenda.
In both cases the interests of ecologists and local landowners are pretty much aligned, quite independently of whether La Janda should be restored or not, which hopefully means we will continue to get a choice of a crap road or no vehicular access.

Last edited:
Unfortunately in the case of both roads there is a choice between restricting access, either through regulation or ensuring that the road is almost unusable, or having a heavily used road. Roads for ornithologists only simply do not come on the provincial agenda.
In both cases the interests of ecologists and local landowners are pretty much aligned, quite independently of whether La Janda should be restored or not, which hopefully means you will continue to get a choice of a crap road or no vehicular access.

I'm sorry to disagree with you again. Even when the Ojen valley road was in (relatively) good condition it's not been heavily used. Not many want to drive between Los Barrios and Facinas and it's still a lot quicker to get to Tarifa or Vejer via the major existing roads. Whether or not 'roads for ornithologists' come high on the political agenda or not the fact is that the track has been improved and then birdwatchers banned which is very peculiar given the long-term access they've enjoyed hitherto. It's doubly odd when Cadiz province is about to take a major initiative to encouraging birdwatching tourism and some infrastructure/information was put in place recently to encourage the use of the route. I cannot agree that the "interests of ecologists and local landowners are pretty much aligned, quite independently of whether La Janda should be restored or not, which hopefully means you will continue to get a choice of a crap road or no vehicular access." Local ecologists want to restore the status quo ante and part of that depends on developing birdwatching tourism which means keeping the attraction of the area to the fore whereas landowners want to continue the status quo and see restoration as a threat. The way in which a presentation on restoring La Janda was mysteriously pulled from a recent conference on wetlands in Jerez is evidence of this.

Good news for a change! According to the official Tarifa FB page https://www.facebook.com/ayuntamien...5430234262545/684958424976392/?type=3&theater - the following measures have been taken regarding kite surfing etc at Playa de los Lances
A special device monitors the practice of water sports in unauthorized areas
Members of the local police, the civil guard, the police and agents of autonomous environment launched the periodic inspection today
The device activated from today Monday, aims to prevent the practice of water sports in the coastal areas of the unauthorized expressly for this purpose. This is to give answers to the regulations of the plan of management of the natural resources of the coastal Algeciras-rate, and the master plan of use and management of the p. n. the strait. The specific monitoring comes to complete a campaign that has appealed to the awareness of the kitesurfistas by respect for protected areas.
Agents of the local police, the civil guard, the police and autonomous environment have maintained today a first meeting of coordination after which have led to the specific deployment for particularly sensitive areas. In the case of the coastal lagoon of the throw. A section of the floodplain coastline with the cycles of high tide which hosts an important area of reproduction and rest of protected species.
The checks will be carried out on a regular basis and surprising way to discourage those who repeatedly ignore the signs coming into different parts of the coastline.
All the forces and security forces have committed to human resources to make possible the activation of the device. The idea is to persuade the users of the coastline on the need to stick to the relevant legislation that establishes the prohibition of sail in an ecosystem of high ecological value, listed as natural park, special area of conservation (SAC) and special protection area of (Spas).
Inspections on foot of coastline also continue an information campaign has tried to raise awareness about the practice of water sports in the appropriate spaces. On social networks and through the media has been sought specific awareness of the users of the coastline.

I'm posting some photos here that Stewart has kindly sent me of the gates & signs at the western end of the road (he's having problems doing so himself). Evidently similar ones have been put up at the other end.

Attachments

• Ojen6.png
    Ojen6.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 66
I took a chance and drove the length of the road last month, during one of my occasional visits to the area. Excellent condition to be sure. Closure to motor vehicles need not be seen as a blow. You can park at either end of the closed sections and have a pleasant and peaceful walk for as far as you feel inclined. With the aid of a picnic it has the makings of an excellent day out. I strongly suspect you will see many more birds, especially the woodland species, than would be encountered on a drive-through with a few stops.

I took a chance and drove the length of the road last month, during one of my occasional visits to the area. Excellent condition to be sure. Closure to motor vehicles need not be seen as a blow. You can park at either end of the closed sections and have a pleasant and peaceful walk for as far as you feel inclined. With the aid of a picnic it has the makings of an excellent day out. I strongly suspect you will see many more birds, especially the woodland species, than would be encountered on a drive-through with a few stops.

Good point, Ernest, but not everyone is able to walk too far ....

Productive day at Tarifa today, with morning thunderstorms. c 50 Sandwich and c20 Little Terns Los Lances, with a few RR Swallows and large numbers of Swallows/ Swifts passing. Booted Eagle and Short-toed Eagle low N presumably after crossing the strait. This aft at Barbate - 85 + Curlew Sandpipers ( a good number? Some stunning summer plumages) and 20 + Little Stints with Dunlin and Sanderling, 120 + Greater Flamingo, GW Egret and Spoonbill ...... Migrant flock of 25 Bee-Eaters feeding at Zerzuela..... And a close subadult Imperial Eagle at La Janda, also 5 Spoonbills, ad Purple Heron, the usual Glossy Ibis, and an Avocet with the BW Stilts. Nice to be woken by a Nightingale with Hoopoe as the supporting cast........better weather tomorrow for raptors to cross the strait?

At La Janda this afternoon 1-2 Bonellis Eagles, 20+ Black Kites some resting on fence posts near farm, 11 Booted Eagle, 1 Marsh Harrier, 4 ST Eagle all late afternoon all passing Northwards. At pond at T junction 15 Purple Galinules and a mega for me a male Penduline Tit made my day.

Hopefully try La Janda again before we return home. Today at Alcornocales NP - 2 ST Eagles, 3 Booted Eagles, 4 Black Kites moving N also 13 White Storks. Big passage of Swifts continues....... Also 2 flocks of Bee-Eaters totalling c30 birds, total of c10 Red-rumped Swallows and an Alpine Swift. Several singing Bonelli's Warblers at Alcornocales. Sunny and little wind today.

The policing of Los Lances was non existent at 16.00hrs with 2 young men in the water near hide operating a large very fast radio controlled model boat.

Very little migration at Punta Comorro this morning despite a gathering of hopeful Brits, wind was ESE but very few birds. Where are they all?

At least 3 pairs of Tawny Pipits in valley just off the CA 2214 road just to North of our Hostal this evening along with displaying Calandra Larks and Stonechats feeding fledged young.

So I guess that the Greater Flamingo in front of the hide the last 2 days isn't there any more........ At La Janda early this morning, highlights included 12 Spoonbills, 70+ Glossy Ibis, Purple Heron, imm Night Heron, 30+ Black-winged Stilts, purring Turtle Dove, and 3 singing Great Reed Warblers. A handful of Booted Eagles and Black Kites over Betis road early afternoon.

Punta Comorro late morning in a SW wind, total of 124 Black Kites included single large group of 58, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Booted Eagles, 39 Griffon Vultures and a single flock of 38 Black Storks.

Barbate Salinas mid afternoon held a lot of waders with close up views, highlights 101 Little Stint, 178 Curlew Sandpiper (many in summer plumage) could have been more but birds very flighty making counts difficult! 500+ Dunlin, 170+ Ringed Plover, 6 Avocet, 18 Kentish Plover, 46 Ruff, 56 Sanderling33 Spoonbill, @100 Greater Flamingo, 5 species of Lark, 200+ Collared Pratincole many displaying. 2 Stone Curlew

CWPBirder I will be at Punta Comorro tomorrow morning from 10.30ish then La Janda in the afternoon if your in the in the vicinity and want to meet up.

Visited La Janda this afternoon; highlights were:-
Great Reed Warbler
Whitethroat
Roller (one on overhead cables)
Glossy Ibis (approx. 200)
Turtle Dove (one calling)
Quail (two,possibly three calling)

Roller present at La Janda yesterday till at least late afternoon, photos on Andalucia BS FB page and my Swiss birding neighbours have some good photos I was unable to find it mid afternoon. Bit of an influx of Common Sandpipers and Quail at La Janda yesterday and at least 4 singing Great Reed Warblers.

Last edited:
Roller present at La Janda yesterday till at least late afternoon, photos on Andalucia BS FB page and my Swiss birding neighbours have some good photos I was unable to find it mid afternoon. Bit of an influx of Common Sandpipers and Quail at La Janda yesterday and at least 4 singing Great Reed Warblers.
Your mate Des put me onto the roller yesterday. I'd driven straight past it,saw something brownish crouched on the wires and I just wrote it off as another turtle dove. Now if it had been pointing its blue bits towards me I might have stopped.

Four honeys came in when I was at Trafico this afternoon over the course of a couple of hours. There were a few black kites also, at about 1.30 - 2.00. Apart from that it was dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back