• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Passerine at Flamborough Head. (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
The bird described below was present at Flamborough Head on 19 September 1998. Thought at first possibly to be a Sunbird because of the decurved bill, it didn't seem to fit anything. This was before most people had cameras, so it wasn't photographed. At the time I asked a friend to put my description on UK Birdnet (I didn't have a computer then), but received no useful replies. Possibly some sort of South American earth-creeper, but again didn't seem to fit. Obviously an escapee, but I would like to know the ID. Hope someone can help.

Seen several times perched on a post and in flight.

Size of Meadow Pipit or larger. Slim, with longish tail, which seemed fairly straight-ended (i.e. not graduated), but rounded at corners.

Blackish bill about head length, fairly deep-based and noticeably decurved, especially towards tip. Legs and feet blackish.

Upperparts (including head down to lower edge of ear-coverts) brown-grey, paler and a little sandy on rump and uppertaill-coverts. Wings a little darker than mantle and back. Tail similarly a little darker, and also browner, with pale outer edges and tip, the pale edges also noticeable in flight. Underparts whitish.

Flight undulating. Call, repeated throughout flight, a soft “chip chip” or “yip yip”, like a soft, but slightly explosive juvenile Linnet.

Brett

Wasn't there a sunbird species seen in North Norfolk that year? I'll have a look at some old bird reports though I doubt it would have survived and found it's way up North.

My thoughts were first some sort of thrasher and then an Australian honeyeater, but I find it hard to visualise the bird at all with such relatively simple features (no bands, bars and spots to help!) and in the absence of a field sketch.

Stella's sea eagle?

This is pretty pointless without any further information or insight...

There is what I thought would be adequate information in my description if you bother to read it properly. All the suggestions so far can be eliminated, but keep them coming. Someone must have seen one somewhere.

Brett

Judging a bird and accurately identifying it from a brief description is a nightmare in any circumstance usually, so kudos to those coming up with half decent suggestions, even if they can be still be eliminated from the equation fairly easily!

(Someone may hit the jackpot).

Presumably a leucistic commoner bird with a deformed bill can also be eliminated?!

How did it behave? Did it land on ground or on tree branches? Did it try to feed? Some of the offered birds are ground birds while others are canopy birds.

Flicking through Ridgley and Tudor 2009, how about:

Thrush-like Wren (unspotted forms) - probably not sat on a post though!
Great Rufous Woodcreeper (too large?) - more likely on the side of the post
Earthcreepers - perhaps Plain-breasted the best fit
Slender-billed Miner - never seen one on a post but can imagine it

cheers, alan

this is a real head-scratcher :smoke: I'd have thought the long tail would rule out the miners (leaving earthcreepers the best bet among furnariids) and eg the groundpecker, the description of the call and undulating flight rule out the wrens, the whitish underparts rule out most things (were they seen clearly enough to tell they were unmarked Brett?), and the (small) size rule out many of the suggestions, and most babbler and thrasher options. Was it seen moving on the ground/low vegetation, and if so how? That could be a great help.

I guess a few honeyeaters might match the description?? Deep bill base (and large size for nearly all )would presumably rule out the sunbirds. totally stumped :smoke: :smoke:

I've been doing a bit of head scratching too, nearest I can get is Olive Sunbird though I feel it's most likely to be of an eastern origin. Perhaps an immature or female of a more brightly coloured bird? Stumped.

How did it behave? Did it land on ground or on tree branches? Did it try to feed? Some of the offered birds are ground birds while others are canopy birds.

It flew from the post onto a field, a stubble field if I remember correctly. It appeared ti be a ground feeder.

Flicking through Ridgley and Tudor 2009, how about:

Thrush-like Wren (unspotted forms) - probably not sat on a post though!
Great Rufous Woodcreeper (too large?) - more likely on the side of the post
Earthcreepers - perhaps Plain-breasted the best fit
Slender-billed Miner - never seen one on a post but can imagine it

cheers, alan

Plain-breasted Earthcreeper was the best I could come up with Alan, but it isn't quite right. My bird didn't have a supercilium, had plain whitish underparts and pale edges & tip to the tail. I looked at Earthcreepers at the time, but could dismiss them all. Like Dave J, I am stumped. I hoped someone could un-stump me, but I guess not.

Cheers

Brett

Have you looked through all the bulbuls? Quite common cagebirds at the time, behaviour sounds about right, and quite a few plumages of various species are mostly plain brown with longish pale-tipped tail. The bill can also be/look variously decurved. There's a large number of species, plumages, possibilities...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back