• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM4 77mm (1 Viewer)

Gavia

Harpia

MM4 77

Attachments

• Gavia 30x.jpg
    Gavia 30x.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 490
  • Harpia 30x.jpg
    Harpia 30x.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 465
  • Opticron 30x.jpg
    Opticron 30x.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 470
One of my better phonescoped pics taken with the MM4 77 and Iphone X.

Attachments

• cardinal.jpg
    cardinal.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 471
Thanks for the review FrankD. Very Nice to see some samples. Can you tell something about the image quality of the MM4 77 GA ED in comparison with the MM4 60 GA ED? If it’s on par with the MM4 60 GA ED I’m sure to buy one.

Chris,

These were just comments/experiences so far. I will write something more extensive up when I have time.

To answer your question, it is certainly on par with the 60 mm version with the usual caveats when one is comparing a 60 mm with a 77 mm (higher magnification range and subsequent shallower depth of field, etc...). I think it is a worthy addition to the MM lineup.

I do plan on doing some further comparisons with an 82 mm scope I have on hand. I will post more pics/comments later this week.

I have an MM4 60 ED and must compare the MM4 77 ED with it when I get a chance (maybe next week). I wonder, though, if anyone has had a chance to compare the MM4 77 ED to the ES 80 ED? Does the MM4 77 ED with its shorter focal length have as crisp an image as the ES 80 ED or does the weight saving come at the cost of some optical quality?

I have an MM4 60 ED and must compare the MM4 77 ED with it when I get a chance (maybe next week).

I had the opportunity to compare the MM4 60 ED side by side with the MM4 77 ED earlier this week on a birding trip to Norfolk. The MM4 77 has a bigger brighter image and obviously a further reach than the MM4 60. However, to my eyes, the colour in the MM4 60 looked more intense and vivid (is the technical term saturated?). I have to say that this was just an impression on a quick look through both scopes and was in no way a rigorous technical comparison. It was based on one sample of each model although the colour intensity of the MM4 60 demo model did remind me of my own MM4 60.

I am not an expert optics analyst so I would be interested to know what other people think.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back