• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron SDL v2 eyepiece question (1 Viewer)

ChrisPB

I use an Opticron MM4 GA ED/45 scope with SDL v2 eyepiece since jun 2018 and just noticed that the zoom can't get past about 35x zoom. I never noticed this before so maybe it was like this since the day I got it. I love the scope, great image and very lightweight, but do find this odd. I always take good care of my equipment, never dropped it or anything. Is this normal for the SDL v2 eyepiece?

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 166
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 179
If it's the model with 60mm front-lens (MM4-60) the zoom should turn exactly until the 45x index. Please ask your dealer for warranty repair or a new zoom.

Manfred

Really weird. Does it simply stop there abruptly or it starts to get hard as you approach 30x? Sorry to ask this silly question but, didn't you check the full 45x the first day? (No kidding, since one buys a scope to see further, the foremost temptation is to check "how far doest it show", at least in my case ;)). I second Manfred, contact Opticron or your dealer, they should take good care of it. I had some issues with a pair of binoculars and the scope, and always had good response from the customer service.

I have the 60mm model. It just stops there abruptly. When I got it I checked max zoom by looking through the eyepiece. I didn’t check the numbers on the eyepiece. At least, I can’t remember I did.

Thanks for your replies. I’ll contact my dealer. Not looking forward to it though. It’s always a hassle and uncertainty about the duration without my scope.

Last edited:
My dealer said it would take about 3 to 4 weeks for the repair. I'm now thinking about getting the Opticron 40831 HDF T WW Eyepiece so I can still use my scope in the meantime. I'd rather have something with a little more magnification, but it will have to do.

My dealer said it would take about 3 to 4 weeks for the repair. I'm now thinking about getting the Opticron 40831 HDF T WW Eyepiece so I can still use my scope in the meantime. I'd rather have something with a little more magnification, but it will have to do.

If you can find a 40858, it is 32x. They are discontinued and not fully weatherproof (I think), but it is a beautiful 67* AFOV view. I used Google shopping to search retail shops for one. Maybe in Europe you could find them more easily than here in the US.

The 23x is also a very nice wide AFOV, 65*.

Marc

That was my first choice, but I can’t find it for sale. From the available alternatives the 40831 seems to be the best for my needs.

After all this comparing and looking for alternatives, I’m even thinking about getting the new Opticron MM4 77 GA ED. The 23x should be around 28x on it. Looks perfect to me. There goes my money ;)

That was my first choice, but I can’t find it for sale. From the available alternatives the 40831 seems to be the best for my needs.

After all this comparing and looking for alternatives, I’m even thinking about getting the new Opticron MM4 77 GA ED. The 23x should be around 28x on it. Looks perfect to me. There goes my money ;)

Yes, the test of the dutch birders sounds very good, and not seldom 'bigger is better' - so there is more seen on very cloudy days and observation until dawn. The exit pupil is bigger at the same magnification: 77/60 ~= 1.28. You'll see this in times with low light; on sunny days you'll not notice this as significant. But in the given mags there are the exit-pupils from 4.28 (18x) until 1,42mm (54x) - but at 45x the 60 has 1.33mm and the 77 a tad more than 1,7mm, that's an advantage. Also you've the more 54x.

Think, what are your preferred observations. If you like your 60, you've decided to it perhaps because of the light setup. Today I was counting waterbirds on little lakes for many hours, and there was the Zeiss 8x25 and the MM4-60/Gitzo my companions - it was a joy to use, sometimes acting the scope with three fingers for replacing. The 77 is bigger (and better), but heavier and more troubleing in windy conditions. Be care if the tripod for your 60 can handle the bulkier scope.
The 77 is available in mid-april, so say the dutch birding-center of Texel. It is a surprisingly good scope (they say), but for you it's another scope class in handling. So, if you say 'yes' to your 60, take the time for repairing the v2. And also if you cannot use your scope for some weeks, buy the other eyepiece just if you need really the big field of view - the birding season just begins.

good decision
Manfred

I’ve also just sent my SDLv2 back to Opticron for a service (there were some black flecks inside the eyepiece which were showing up in the view), and I’ll be using the 23x, which I’ve had for a few weeks, while it’s away. I really like this eyepiece on the MM4 60, and for the type of birding I do, I find the magnification just right - a good compromise between magnification and exit pupil size. Apart from the wider FOV, I like the significantly smaller size and lower weight compared to the zoom, which is designed for larger scopes and feels a little oversized on the MM4 60.

If you've the right 'birding-type' for the 60, you've done it right with the service option. And if you like the wide fields, hold the 23x. Try with the zoom the 20x for searching, if the exit-pupil is not so critical: you'll have exact the same field of view than with 15x (which is very narrow); I just need 15x if the ep is needed (4mm).

And if you think, the v2 is oversized, look for other zooms (here: Zeiss) ;-)

fine hikes with the 60
manfred

I’m very happy with the service by Opticron. My defective eyepiece was replaced by a new one only one day after I returned it to the shop. Very pleased with that!

I did get the 40831 eyepiece and also like that. It’s lighter and shorter than the zoom with good image quality. The magnification is perfectly workable for my type of birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back