• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Diamondback format for my use (1 Viewer)

Kingston

Hi folks,

I am back from a trip to Costa Rica where my guide used a Vortex Diamondback 8x42 - this triggered my interest in birding and in a first binocular purchase and I would be interested to have your recommendations on that.

What I want to use binos for:
- Hiking and travel
- Casual birding
- Safari planned for next year

I have read about several brands and models and it seems like the Vortex Diamondback (HD - 2016) would be a good choice for mid-range quality/price. I am open to other models suggestions however.

I have some hesitation in terms of format:
- Between 8 and 10: seems like 8 is to be preferred to avoid handshake but would it provide enough magnification for a safari or would 10 be better?
- Between 32 and 42: I would have a preference for a more compact model even if it compromises slightly with low-light performance (reason: easy to carry + small hands) - however from what I could read on this forum and elsewhere there are some concerns with the overall quality of 8x32 and 10x32 Diamondback (i.e., something odd with the view). I would not want to purchase a sub-par model compared to the 42.

Price is not a decisive factor - I simply would not want to invest over 300$ as I am just a beginner and expect my use to be casual at first.

As you know, the Diamondback come in different models: 8x32, 10x32, 8x42, 10x42...
It is difficult to find reviews online comparing all of these different models.

Would greatly appreciate your input on which model you believe would best fit my uses.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I had the 8x42 for a bit and is a good first binocular whereas the 8x32 just didn't work for me. For an 8x32 with your budget the Opticron traveller 8x32 is a good choice. If you can't get one of these the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 is a nice small pair. For Safari 8x is plenty. You benefit from the wider field of view meaning it's easier to scan a wider area.

I purchased a Vortex 8x42 Diamond Back when it was first introduced quite a while ago. It was a surprisingly good binocular for its price then; very well constructed! Its price, as I recall, was under $250.00. I understand it has had some upgrading since then. I keep it by the kitchen window for casual use and I still like using it. If I had to I would have no problem taking it with me on a birding vacation.

It is this one--the 1st version:

https://www.allbinos.com/824-Vortex_Diamondback_8x42-binoculars_specifications.html

I think it was upgraded once: https://www.allbinos.com/1756-Vortex_Diamondback_8x42-binoculars_specifications.html
It has a couple of reviews.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back