• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to remove eyecups on Swift HHS (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I have a pair of Swift HHS/828 8.5 x 44 roof prism binoculars. They are the original version with the diopter adjustment on the right hand eyepiece rather than on the focusing wheel as on the revised version.

I haven't used them for several years but they are in good condition and the optics are still excellent. Unfortunately this version of the binoculars has pull up and push down eyecups, rather than the twist adjustment on the mark two, and there is a problem with them. When I pull them out they are extremely loose and wobble about. The detent position no longer works and the eyecups drop straight down as soon as I let go of them.

I have attempted to remove the eyecups to find out what the problem is to see if I can fix them. Unfortunately, I can't work out how to remove them. I have tried pulling and twisting them but they won't budge. Does anybody have any advice on how to get them out or what the problem might be with them?

I have the same design of eyecups on my Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN. The only difference is that they still work perfectly many years later but the Swift ones don't!

Ron

I have a pair of Swift HHS/828 8.5 x 44 roof prism binoculars. They are the original version with the diopter adjustment on the right hand eyepiece rather than on the focusing wheel as on the revised version.

I haven't used them for several years but they are in good condition and the optics are still excellent. Unfortunately this version of the binoculars has pull up and push down eyecups, rather than the twist adjustment on the mark two, and there is a problem with them. When I pull them out they are extremely loose and wobble about. The detent position no longer works and the eyecups drop straight down as soon as I let go of them.

I have attempted to remove the eyecups to find out what the problem is to see if I can fix them. Unfortunately, I can't work out how to remove them. I have tried pulling and twisting them but they won't budge. Does anybody have any advice on how to get them out or what the problem might be with them?

I have the same design of eyecups on my Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN. The only difference is that they still work perfectly many years later but the Swift ones don't!

Ron

I have the later model with the twist-up eye cups and I enjoy using it. I would like a wider FOV but I will give Humphrey H. Swift, the late owner of Swift Binoculars, who purportedly designed the Swift 828 binocular, credit for knowing what he was doing. It is a very easy binocular to use with its generous eye relief.:t:

Unfortunately I can't help you in fixing your problem.:-C

I suggest that you try using rubber bands wrapped around the tubes to hold the binocular's eye cups in the up position when you use it. At least that won't cause any damage.

I'm not sure that Swift is still in business. The link below has USA phone numbers, an address for Swift in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA and an e-mail address for the company. Note that the website copyright is 2016. If you can contact them perhaps they can suggest a binocular technician near you who can fix it?

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/binoculars.html

Bob

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply Bob. I have been using the binoculars by holding the eyecups up with a strong elastic band in a figure of eight around the tubes. It works reasonably well but is very crude and not an ideal solution. I might see if I can find some large O Rings which will fit over the tubes to hold them up.

I agree that the binoculars are pleasant to use and my only real complaints are the narrow field of view and the stiffish and slow focusing wheel action.

I don't want to spend any money to get them fixed as I only use them in the summer house to look at birds in the garden. My Trinovid 8x32 BN and new Swarovski EL 8x32 FP take care of everything else.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back