• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best long lens for about a grand for D7200 (1 Viewer)

Good to know the d7200 does not black out the border of the rectangle. The d850 blacks out going from FF to DX mode.
I used to think that I would prefer it completely blacked out, and I was quite annoyed initially when I found out it wasn't. However after using just the superimposed reduced border for a long time I seem to have consciously and subconsciously adapted to it - in fact I prefer it this way.

If I chop a wingtip or whatever it's invariably because a large raptor or something rapidly maneuvers towards me. Having the full field visible is good because especially with the Tammy I can zoom out - and that's become more of a habit over time. I know that when the Holy Grail PF 600 f5.6 becomes an option I'll be giving some of that flexibility up - which will be missed. Hopefully whatever body I'm using by then will have the ability to set a handy button up to quickly toggle between various crop modes.

Chosun :gh:

Seen a couple of negative vids about the Tammy, one where the focus (it was front focussing) was so far out that it couldn’t be tweaked to acceptable parameters in settings, etc (bad sample of lens?)

The other where a large, bald, tattooed guy was comparing it to the Nikon 200-500 and saying the Tammy had an annoying tendency to “jump” when using VR.

Keeping an open mind but veering towards the Nikon 200-500!

Seen a couple of negative vids about the Tammy, one where the focus (it was front focussing) was so far out that it couldn’t be tweaked to acceptable parameters in settings, etc (bad sample of lens?)

The other where a large, bald, tattooed guy was comparing it to the Nikon 200-500 and saying the Tammy had an annoying tendency to “jump” when using VR.

Keeping an open mind but veering towards the Nikon 200-500!
The Nikon 200-500 is a fine lens, as is the Tammy G2. They are on about a par. The thing is with this level of lens that unit to unit variability is a prospect (same goes for the Sigmas too) that could tip the IQ one way or the other. You can fine tune the Tammy throughout it's range and to your individual camera body.

The biggest difference is the extra reach of the Tammy G2 (it's a little better backed down from maximum to ~550mm - so in effect 10% more reach).
The Tammy autofocuses just a very tiny bit better which should hold true on the D7200. Obviously Pro bodies are a little better though at another price stratosphere entirely.
The Tammy can give a little 'jump' - very little - when the VC first engages, but not all the time, and once it is going it is fine. Hair_splitting in my view. If you're not bald and tattooed you should be fine.
The Niki is 14% heavier (1/7th) ..... 300grams.
The Niki is a half stop faster from 420mm to 500mm. The Tammy equal or faster prior to that.

If you get the opportunity stick both lenses on your D7200 and see which one you like the handling of the best. That's as good a way to decide as any.

Had a look at the suggestions and the Sigms 100-400 looks a contender in both price and size. Looks a bit more of a carry around lens than the Tammy (but with the obvious limitations) I presume I’ll get good results using the in-camera crop mode with this? What equivalent zoom will I get using the crop mode?

Not much gain in reach over the 70-300mm you already have.

In body crop mode doesn't gain anything that a crop later in post processing would get out of the full size file. One saves a bit of space on the memory card using in body crop, but with today's card sizes and prices that is not much of an issue.

Not that ime suggesting it but i got some good results with the sigma 100-400 and 1.4tc

Attachments

• 22096196_130478397602137_5694303271257833159_o.jpg
    22096196_130478397602137_5694303271257833159_o.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 158
Not that ime suggesting it but i got some good results with the sigma 100-400 and 1.4tc

That’s a great shot, Mike!

I’m drifting towards a more manageable length of lens ie. the Sigma or Tamron 100-400, possibly with a tc, or even busting the one-grand ceiling with the Nikon 80-400.

We’ve just booked a Wildlife Cruise to the Danube Delta next April so a longer lens is going to be a must. Lots and lots of time to change my mind over and over and...

That’s a great shot, Mike!

I’m drifting towards a more manageable length of lens ie. the Sigma or Tamron 100-400, possibly with a tc, or even busting the one-grand ceiling with the Nikon 80-400.

We’ve just booked a Wildlife Cruise to the Danube Delta next April so a longer lens is going to be a must. Lots and lots of time to change my mind over and over and...

Give serious thought before buying the Nikon, lots say its not worth the extra money.

Thanks Mike. Do you know if you can get a Nikon tc for the Tamron 100-400?

Tamron or Sigma you most likely would be better with their own, i would check though that the D7200 would be able to focus it with a converter, i was using a D500 and i think you would be OK with the center point.
The D7200 does crop well so a converter may not be needed that much.
Obviously, a 150-600 would be better if you don't mind the bulk.

Thanks Mike. Do you know if you can get a Nikon tc for the Tamron 100-400?

This can't be done. Nikon has engineered their teleconverters to only work with their own lenses. I think I've read somewhere that you can shave off some part of the teleconverter to get it to mount with third party lenses, but then you may still have issues with the electronics not working together.

This can't be done. Nikon has engineered their teleconverters to only work with their own lenses. I think I've read somewhere that you can shave off some part of the teleconverter to get it to mount with third party lenses, but then you may still have issues with the electronics not working together.

Sorry, I meant a Nikon fit tc. Just a question of do Tamron do one for the lens?

All the video reviews I see say that it’s a full frame lens but I assume it will work on DX bodies like my D7200?

What the ! Why on earth would you want to put a TC on an f6.3 lens ? It's no substitute for a natively longer lens. AF if it works at all (Centre point only) is likely to be glacial. It's a bit like the blonde leading the blind ! Far better to jump into one camp or the other with both feet ...

What the ! Why on earth would you want to put a TC on an f6.3 lens ? It's no substitute for a natively longer lens. AF if it works at all (Centre point only) is likely to be glacial. It's a bit like the blonde leading the blind ! Far better to jump into one camp or the other with both feet ...

Kindly climb out of my throat and draw a breath! You are an expert, I am not. Read the previous post, I meant a Tamron tc with a Nikon fit (I just didn’t express it very well).

I thought that a 100-400 comparatively small lens with a 1.4tc could be a more palatable (and economic) alternative to a much bigger lens like the Nikon 200-500. If the science doesn’t work like that then I’ve got more knowledgeable people, like you, to disabuse me of the notion.

Kindly climb out of my throat and draw a breath! You are an expert, I am not. Read the previous post, I meant a Tamron tc with a Nikon fit (I just didn’t express it very well).

I thought that a 100-400 comparatively small lens with a 1.4tc could be a more palatable (and economic) alternative to a much bigger lens like the Nikon 200-500. If the science doesn’t work like that then I’ve got more knowledgeable people, like you, to disabuse me of the notion.
Lol - only if you draw two ! :)
Such things are 'possible', but hardly desirable. Even f6.3 can chug away in low light.
People have just been repeating themselves and each other on this thread but the answers remain the same - there really is no magic bullet to your quandary. There are pretty much just 5 choices worth considering in your budget (in the order I would choose):
Tamron G2 150-600 f6.3 , 2010g , 258mm long , 2.2m min.focus , £1129 {See post#28 - Musoman's still available for £695}
Nikon 200-500 f5.6 , 2300g , 268mm long , 2.2m min.focus , £1019
Sigma C 150-600 f6.3 , 1940g , 260mm long , 2.8m min.focus , £779
Sigma 100-400 f6.3 , 1160g , 182mm long , 1.6m min.focus , £689
Tamron 100-400 f6.3 , 1135g , 199mm long , 1.5m min.focus , £659

You can paranalyse yourself round the bend - best bet is to at least get these in the hand (preferably on the D7200) to see how they handle /shoot, and what they are like to carry. Throw a blanket (large picnic style) over the performance of all of them. Costs are also within a ballpark (depending on deals). It will come down to which one you prefer to handle /operate, and/or get a deal on. The end. Practice with any of them will serve you better than wondering if another choice will be better (as it does for all of us :).

No doubt you will get better bird photos with any of these than you do now, and also no doubt you will run into limitations in certain circumstances where you will want more reach (you can sometimes dodgy that a bit with a 1.4xTC though not without compromises - IQ, AF, and mostly needing very good light, more co-operative subjects, with tripod and/or timer assistance. Use whatever brand lens you get matching TC), and more speed (only available for $$$$). Good luck!

Last edited:
There are 3rd party 1.4x TCs that will work, such as one that Tamron sells. But, the TC is a magnifier and it will magnify all the imperfections of a lens. It also cuts out 1/2 the light! So an f/6.3 becomes an f/9. Apart from high-end lenses, I do not use a TC -- I find cropping gives better results.

I agree with the list Chosun just posted and I agree with the ordering.

I understand that you said you saw some reviews that don't recommend the G2, but I have to disagree. It's a great lens for the price and size. Maybe the reviewers got a bad sample, that does happen.

The only way to get lighter or longer is to (1) spend way more money, or (2) go micro-4/3 (which will be more expensive too).

The 80-400 AF-S VR is a big, expensive, heavy lens. For birding, I think a 150-600 is better suited for that amount of money and weight.

Marc

Thanks to all contributors for your welcome advice. It’s a bit difficult to get access to lenses to try out, but not impossible.

I’ll keep on with the 70-300 to get used to the camera modes and different settings and try to get a look at some of the lenses mentioned.

Still keeping an open mind, so expect more many more musings and questions before money and glass change hands!

Went to Jessops to have a look at the Nikon 200-500 and the Tammy 150-600. They had both lenses but not a “trial body” to put them on as it was out on loan and guess who hadn’t taken his camera body along?

Both are hefty lumps and I guess a look through them will have to wait a couple of days until I go back with my camera body.

Couldn’t judge anything from hefting them apart from the fact the Nikon is a bit heavier.

What’s the “VR jump” that some people report with the Tammy?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back