• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (1 Viewer)

For the 7x35, compared to the 2017 specs, the eye relief has increased from 15mm to 16mm, but the FOV has decreased from 150m/1000m to 140m/1000m and, what's even worse, the close focus distance increased from 3m to 4m.

Hello All,

Does anyone know what sort of prism system will , or is used in these "retro" Trinovids.

Cheers.

They ate already in the Leica Store in the UK.

https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/trinovid

Prices are fairly steep, but as I am looking at some new binoculars I am tempted by the 7x35s

Allbinos still has listed the Leica 7x35, 8x40 and 10x40 Trinovids which were announced in September 2017. In fact they currently are the first 3 Leica binoculars listed by Albinos at this time. They still show the original 3 different styles that came out in 2017.

https://www.allbinos.com/42-Leica-binoculars.html

https://www.allbinos.com/1887-Leica_Trinovid_7x35-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Last edited:
According to Leica, the only place that you will be able to buy them are the Leica Stores. It appears that they will not be available anywhere else.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

According to Leica, the only place that you will be able to buy them are the Leica Stores. It appears that they will not be available anywhere else.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

If they are going to do that I expect that they will be expensive!

I ordered one of the original versions from Camera Land when they were taking orders for them and, if my memory is correct it was about $400.00 US dollars less than their current projected (US) price of $1,600.00 is. Some may remember it differently than I do, however.:smoke:

Bob

Last edited:
Paskman, post 8,
Only sold through Leica stores???????
I asked around and one thing is clear: House of Outdoor run by Jan van Daalen will immediately stop selling Leica binoculars and he will ban all Leicas from his shop, so I expect sales promotion of his complete Leica inventory soon, if Leica seriously chooses this path. Fortunately customers have a lot of choice of other bands than Leica in his shop I understand.
Gijs van Ginkel

There will be plenty of collectors who will purchase a pair or three, even if it means waiting a year or two. Aimed at that market I imagine rather than a birder or naturalist out in the field every day.

There will be plenty of collectors who will purchase a pair or three, even if it means waiting a year or two. Aimed at that market I imagine rather than a birder or naturalist out in the field every day.

And why not.........

Last edited:
In relation to the specifications, I've attached:
a) those from yesterday's announcement (see dipped's link in post #3), and
b) those from the previous 2017 announcement (from a 2017 catalogue)

Whether the differences are accurate, and what they indicate, who knows?
(simplification or refinement of the earlier design? a desire to provide greater differentiation from the Ultravid line?)

I've also attached images of the 3 models - now only offered in leatherette - perhaps reflecting market research as to likely buyer preferences

John

Attachments

• 2019 specifications.pdf
    351.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2017 specifications .jpg
    2017 specifications .jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 7x35.jpg
    7x35.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 8x40.jpg
    8x40.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 93
  • 10x40.jpg
    10x40.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
This is great news, I am surprised Leica followed through. Leica does like special more boutique
products in there lines so this seems to be one of them.

Kudos to Leica.

Jerry

Does anyone know if Leica will use Upendahl (spelling ?) prisms , or SP prisms in these binoculars ?.
The specifications only say "roof prisms".

Thanks.

Cheers.

John (post#13),

Something with the FOV specs went wrong, I think.

In the old specs, these were the numbers for the three models:
450ft, 387ft, 330ft
150m, 129m, 110m

The new specs are now:
460ft, 404ft, 341ft
140m, 123m, 104m

How can the FOV be wider in feet and smaller in meters, etc.?

Canip

Hi 42za,

The 2017 catalogue did state that Uppendahl prisms were to be used
And it it would be reasonable to suppose that this is still the case - but until it’s confirmed we just don’t know

Uppendahl prisms are used in the still produced 2nd generation Geovid rangefinders. So it's not as if lack of current expertise should be a consideration

However, Schmidt-Pechan prisms are more compact, so theoretically they could fit into the existing space
- see the image from Jan van Daalen comparing an S-P pair from a Leica BN to the Uppendahl group from an original Leitz v2 Trinovid
(from: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3670563&postcount=95 )

As a practical consideration, the choice of prisms shouldn’t matter (what works works)
However in considering the likely market, one would think that authenticity/ nostalgia/ rarity would be important considerations

- - - -
Hi Canip,

Good pick up! I only looked at the FOV in meters, so I didn’t notice the discrepancy in the 2019 table
- and I presume that the figures in meters are the correct ones, since Leica’s original measurements would be metric

As we know, FOV conversion is an angular conversion i.e. meters at 1000 meters verses feet at 1000 yards,
so the conversion factor is x 3 (or ÷ 3 for feet to meters), since there are 3 feet in a yard

However, the conversion factor used is x 3.28. That is, what should be used to convert a linear measurement - and is used for the minimum focusing distances
- so it’s a failure in proof reeding (. . . a little joke, I couldn't resist!)

John

Attachments

• Leica BN vs Leitz v2 Trinovid.jpg
    Leica BN vs Leitz v2 Trinovid.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Hello John (post 17),

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on this matter.

I have a gut feeling , (probably completely wrong o:D) , that Leica will use SP prisms and "improve" or "modernise" the old Trinovid recipe , the accountants at Leica have probably had their say ;).

I for one would like a new Trinovid that is made exactly like the old ones were , but with modern glass and coatings , we can dream can't we.

Or am I just too old for this o:D.

Cheers.

The 2017 catalogue did state that Uppendahl prisms were to be used
And it it would be reasonable to suppose that this is still the case - but until it’s confirmed we just don’t know

Uppendahl prisms are used in the still produced 2nd generation Geovid rangefinders. So it's not as if lack of current expertise should be a consideration

However, Schmidt-Pechan prisms are more compact, so theoretically they could fit into the existing space

In the new specs, all models have become 40g heavier, so perhaps that is indication that they haven't moved to the smaller/lighter SP prisms.
But unless they explicitly say otherwise, I'm assuming SP nonetheless.

As a practical consideration, the choice of prisms shouldn’t matter (what works works)

This is not correct. The choice of prisms *does* matter. SP are the worst choice among relevant roof prism designs (SP, AK and Uppendahl). Check the relevant literature, e.g. Merlitz 2019.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back