• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht - New Case? (1 Viewer)

Samolot

Was looking at the swaro catalog and start seeing pictures of the habicht with what appears to be an EL type green case.

Just ordered a 10x40 and the dealer confirmed the green case is now included. Hopefully its an upgrade over the old black and quite honestly useless case.

Cheers,

Samolot

Attachments

• 210107.P4.png
    210107.P4.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 211
Hi Samolot,

I bought, May 2019, a new Habicht WGA 10x40. It has that new green EL type bag. To me, it lacks rings for a strap. I would like, also, a set of objective covers. I use them in all my binoculars. So, I made them, very rough but useful!

Best!

PHA

Was looking at the swaro catalog and start seeing pictures of the habicht with what appears to be an EL type green case.

Just ordered a 10x40 and the dealer confirmed the green case is now included. Hopefully its an upgrade over the old black and quite honestly useless case.

Cheers,

Samolot
The new green case that comes with the 10x40 Habicht is pretty lame with no strap on it. If you can find a Tamrac 5361 case they work quite well. I use them for my Habicht 10x40 and 7x42. They have been discontinued but they show up on Ebay from time to time. They show them at Blatt World but I am not sure the place is legit.

http://blattworld.com.phtemp.com/tamrac_5361_binocular_case_i15926.html

Attachments

• tamrac-foam-padded-binocular-case_360_37c7298136c8d7a1d19bdd608012ae07.jpg
    tamrac-foam-padded-binocular-case_360_37c7298136c8d7a1d19bdd608012ae07.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I don't think it is a legitimate site, some of the glass they have for sale dates to early 2000. They have a Nikon SE 8X32 for sale under Nikon.

By the way, where is the lowest price for the 10X40 located.

Andy W.

Last edited:
I don't think it is a legitimate site, some of the glass they have for sale dates to early 2000. They have a Nikon SE 8X32 for sale under Nikon.

By the way, where is the lowest price for the 10X40 located.

Andy W.
My go to for Habicht's is usually Bushwear in the UK. They are a good seller and they have low prices. Before you pay though make sure he has stock or it will take forever to get a refund from the UK. Here is a new Habicht 10x40 W for $874.13 plus $20.66 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-...484800?hash=item4b718b0a80:g:OAsAAOSw0ileCcNQ

Last edited:
Hello!

This is what I did for objectives covers. A piece of neopreno, some drops of super glue. Done for a few cents. And offer more protección than the comercial ones.

Happy New Year!

PHA

Finally received the Habichts and had an opportunity to try them out.

In a nutshell, while the EL 8x32 may be the ideal birding binocular, I call these Habichts the "optical purist's" binocular.

Sure the eye relief is short, the eyecups are small, the eyepieces are smaller, the build is bigger than a traditional roof, but the image is impeccable. I have had some very nice binoculars in the past, all roofs, and none have been able to resemble the view so purely spot-on. The colors are all perfect. Sure they are not sharp to the edge, but the view in the center 70% is the sharpest I have ever seen. These 10x40's have met my expectations after owning and reluctantly selling the Habicht 8x30's.

In regards to the eyerelief issue, I have used these chinese winged cup accessory in the past on the Habicht's with great success (see picture), but noticed that my face would completely seal around the eyepiece and quickly fog up when the weather is cold. I have come up with a rather nice solution to extend eye relief by 1.5 mm and leave the eye piece open to air. I used a thin rubber O-ring and screwed the eyecup onto that, as pictured. This is actually working quite nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 76
And the case is quite nice! No padding, but sturdy and fits everything I need in one bag - objective covers from Opticron, rainguard and neck strap (which by the way, in my opinion is the finest one I have used; the most comfortable)

Samolot. That is the same way I feel about the Habicht's. They for the optical purist. The nice thing about the Habicht 10x40 is the glare control which is better than the Habicht 8x30 W. You will appreciate the 3D view also. It enables you to pick objects out of the backround foilage. Good idea with the o-rings.

I call these Habichts the "optical purist's" binocular ... the build is bigger than a traditional roof, but the image is impeccable.
I have very similar binoculars in terms of construction and optical scheme, although it is not waterproof and does not have the same optical quality as the Habicht Swarovski, but I think I understand what you mean by "optical purist's" binocular.
The observation with these binoculars is different from the usual roof and also the ergonomics are very different, almost more familiar.

I have come up with a rather nice solution to extend eye relief by 1.5 mm and leave the eye piece open to air.
Excellent solution! In my binoculars I have mounted the eyecups with side hood and they are perfect, although in cold and humid conditions the eyepieces tend to mist up (but it always happens).

You certainly made a great purchase!

Last edited:
Finally received the Habichts and had an opportunity to try them out.

In a nutshell, while the EL 8x32 may be the ideal birding binocular, I call these Habichts the "optical purist's" binocular.

Sure the eye relief is short, the eyecups are small, the eyepieces are smaller, the build is bigger than a traditional roof, but the image is impeccable. I have had some very nice binoculars in the past, all roofs, and none have been able to resemble the view so purely spot-on. The colors are all perfect. Sure they are not sharp to the edge, but the view in the center 70% is the sharpest I have ever seen. These 10x40's have met my expectations after owning and reluctantly selling the Habicht 8x30's.

In regards to the eyerelief issue, I have used these chinese winged cup accessory in the past on the Habicht's with great success (see picture), but noticed that my face would completely seal around the eyepiece and quickly fog up when the weather is cold. I have come up with a rather nice solution to extend eye relief by 1.5 mm and leave the eye piece open to air. I used a thin rubber O-ring and screwed the eyecup onto that, as pictured. This is actually working quite nicely.
Another solution for the too short eye cups on the Habicht is to get the green eye cups from the GR Habicht which are bigger in diameter. If you email Swarovski they will send you a pair for free. You just unscrew the original ones and the green ones screw right on.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-04-26 a las 14.26.07.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-04-26 a las 14.26.07.png
    169 KB · Views: 58
These 10x40's have met my expectations after owning and reluctantly selling the Habicht 8x30's.
I also had (and sold, and now regret it :D) a 8x30 Habicht. Since you have experience with both. How would you specifically compare the performance of the 10x40 against the 8x30? I remember sharpness and brightness of the 8x30 as simply surreal, oneiric, dreamlike, but also had trouble with the eyepieces (the green ones from the rubber armored version did improve the experience, as has already been mentioned).

I owned the 8x30 Habicht a little over a year ago so pardon my memory, but when I think about what it was like owning the 8x30 and comparing it to the 10x40, there are a couple things I have noticed.

Size: Obviously the 10x40 is bigger, but it is bigger in the right places. The objectives being larger and farther from the main body made it easier to accomodate objective covers from opticron, as mentioned above. It simply work perfectly. Another thing is that with the longer objectives, there is more space between them to stuff the strap, making it really easy to fit into the supplied case. I found with the short stubby objectives on the 8x30, it was hard to find a nice looking objective cover and to fit it all in a case with the strap. Also, with the 10x40 being longer, it sits perfectly flat on your chest while walking around while the 8x30 tended to tip into your body, which can be annoying if youre out in a mist and have a wet jacket. These are all very minor points, but points nonetheless that favor the 10x40.

The 8x30, being lighter and having less magnification, together with a wide-set body, had the most stable view of any binocular i have ever tried. Everytime I brought it to my face, it felt like it was on a tripod. It was much easier to notice the magical and sharp view. The 10x40 undoubtably has more shakes, but when you realize you're holding a 10x40, and it really only weighs 24 oz, you come away impressed with the image stability as well. The view on the 10x40? What else is there to say, its a Habicht. Cristal clear, very bright, sharp as a tac. With the rubber chinese eyecups attached, I can't say that it has less glare than the 8x30 as these accessory eyecups managed to do a fantastic job limiting glare in both the 8x30 and 10x40 (Swaro should really pay attention to this accessory as it has made viewing through the Habicht so much nicer, and it looks very neat and tidy).

Where the 8x30 takes off is field of view. 324 ft vs 408 ft is a noticeable difference. Panning with the 8x30 in the woods was much more "wow" for me as everything was captured. The 10x40 was more of a point and shoot kind of binocular. The extra magnification on the 10x however coupled with the dead-on sharpness certainly does a much better job yielding more detail.

Lastly, like Roger Vine, I am a fan of stargazing, and am always on the lookout for a binocular that can do both. I haven't had many clear nights, but compared to the 8x30, the 10x40 blew them out of the water. The larger exit pupil, with large objectives, and high magnification really brought start clusters to life. The Pleiades have never looked so magical. Obviously a bit more shaky, but something remarkable nonetheless. I did order a Nikon SE tripod adapter to use with the Habicht for the night sky which will hopefully add another dimension to my viewing experience.

Overall, very pleased with my purchase. Learned my lesson after selling the 8x30, that I will NOT be selling the 10x40. Will I go back and buy the 8x30 again? I don't know yet. I feel like if I were to go 8x30, it would have to be a pocket binocular, which the habicht simply isn't.

Moral of the story; there is no ONE perfect binocular. Trying to find that binocular is a disease not curable, but certainly treatable with each subsequent purchase.

Moral of the story; there is no ONE perfect binocular. Trying to find that binocular is a disease not curable, but certainly treatable with each subsequent purchase.
Hahahaha, I like your medicine ;) I'll take one every 8 hours.

Thank you very much for the thorough comparison, really useful. I had the 8x30 and can relate to a lot of what you say. I think (together with the 7x42 FL) those are the binoculars that have given me the biggest wow (mind you I haven't tried any of the current top of the line like EL-SV, SF, UVHDPLUS, EDG). I am really curious about the 10x40, below 700 g and with the "Habicht look". I'm also a casual stargazer, and a 10x that can go a bit deeper is always interesting. So I'll keep an eye on these. Thanks again!

Quick update: I have been playing around with the eyecups in an effort to make it more comfortable. As mentioned before, the winged eyecups work great but it causes the eyepieces to fog up. The O-ring idea was neat, but the problem is that the outer diameter of the original eyecups is too small so it sinks into my eye sockets and creates contact with my eyelashes (if this isn't a definition for "first world problems" then I don't know what is ;)).

Alas, I tried something new. A 3$ package arrived from China a few days ago. Essentially it works the same way as the winged eyecup, but without the "wing part". These new eyecups were designed for a microscope. This solution extends eye-relief by 1-2 mm, increases the diameter of the eyecup to prevent sinking in. I can see the view perfectly easy, I don't touch the eyepieces themselves, and the eyepieces don't fog up. This essentially looks like Dennis' green-eyecup solution, but I wanted an all-black set-up.

The outer diameter is ~43 mm. Does anyone who has either the EL 32 or 42 or SLC 42 know what the outer diameter of their eyecups are? I would like to purchase a swarovski rainguard for this, but want to make sure it fits.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 6Z3A3926.jpeg
    6Z3A3926.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 6Z3A3927.jpeg
    6Z3A3927.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back