• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

Sadly it seems my first birding travel plans for April will have to be cancelled. I was so looking forward to it. Is October a good time to visit? Keep well everyone over there.

Hi John, so sorry to hear that. Many of us have been affected by cancellations. I know how us birders look forward to the next experience, full of enthusiasm and anticipation, only to be left disappointed.
October is an excellent time to come to Mallorca, migration still underway with some great raptor movements and other scarce and rare birds.
I hope you will make it here and that the situation will be largely behind us by then.
No news today.
Mike

Thought about a May visit but "c'est la vie". I was hoping to be in England over Easter visiting Leighton Moss but even that's on hold. At least I can get out so the local patch will be well covered (54 and counting). Trust you are out before migration really kicks in.

Hi Stew, lockdown list is pretty poor, just 13 species. All the Black redstarts seem to have moved on and no sign of any Common Swift yet, I have always seen them by now.
I could always buy a copy of the book from Albufera and post it to you, I’m getting a few for other people but the problem is of course that I can’t go out and the reserve is closed.
Unsurprisingly, no news today.
Only 13 more days to go then..
Mike

That´s better than my lockdown so far 8 species.

We are having a garden bird watch from 14.00 to 18.00 (CET) today inspired by La Gola. Join us and put your list plus any photos on the forum. This is open to all wherever you are. Have fun and Keep Safe.

Attachments

• D9C014CF-972E-4665-A713-A3872D159878.jpeg
    D9C014CF-972E-4665-A713-A3872D159878.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 32
  • C8B69943-C836-4DF4-8C3E-720C0DD83FFE.jpeg
    C8B69943-C836-4DF4-8C3E-720C0DD83FFE.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 46
  • B01D3315-3A7E-48ED-8E1E-4B66109AE952.jpeg
    B01D3315-3A7E-48ED-8E1E-4B66109AE952.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 04FCD91E-72BE-47AC-8810-A516B1E63E94.jpeg
    04FCD91E-72BE-47AC-8810-A516B1E63E94.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I will have a go Mike but I’m guessing I will get single figures.
If I do a seawatch, I will at least get the highest number of birds, hundreds go past at that time.
Good luck to all who enter.
Mike

Lockdown birding 14.00 - 16.00 from my house in Palma

Wood pigeon 1 (new sp. house list)
Hoopoe 1 heard but not seen (new sp. to house list)
Collared Dove
House sparrow
Yellow legged gull
Blackbird 1
Sardinian warbler 1
Kestrel heard but not seen
Domestic pigeon

Attached photo of my view

Attachments

• Palma view .jpg
    Palma view .jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Several of us from Mallorca, UK and Switzerland had a fun afternoon with the Bird Locked Down Garden Challenge.
Birds seen across the three countries included:
Alpine Choughs, Black Kites, Red Kites, Booted Eagles, Kestrals, Common Buzzards, Balearic and Scopolis Shearwaters, White Storks, Pheasants, Dunnocks, Black Redstarts, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, and for me the star..Bullfinch.

Many thanks to all, especially Geordie Dave for the great contributions and the photos.

Attachments

• 055DC796-E55A-4ED2-8B3D-D9F562FB872C.jpeg
    055DC796-E55A-4ED2-8B3D-D9F562FB872C.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 49
  • 5D3D593E-07BD-4F67-A817-36C915089882.jpeg
    5D3D593E-07BD-4F67-A817-36C915089882.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DF113D80-1B88-4C5B-8A04-70BD4FCB35EF.jpeg
    DF113D80-1B88-4C5B-8A04-70BD4FCB35EF.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 52
Hi everyone, unfortunately I missed the Locked Down Garden Challenge, but I have tried to catch up and am happy to say I have spotted an interesting selection including stonechat, linnet, Thekla's lark, robin, little egret, kestrel, booted eagle, house sparrow, Sardinian warbler, various pigeons I didn't bother to identify more closely because I don't like them much, red kite, blackbird, hoopoe. Unfortunately I shall have to forgo the joys of my Mallorcan back yard for a while though because we have booked up to return to Germany because of our concern for Anne's very elderly parents and the worry we might not be able to get out if we delay any longer. So we leave on Sunday with any luck. Apparently flights are still going out. And it only remains to wish you all the very best, stay healthy and I hope to see you fit and well again in the not too distant future.

Birding in Pollença with Bruc

Good evening,

Thanks to Bruc, my 3 year old border collie, I am allowed to go for a walk and as always we go out 3 times a day. This morning I was very happy to spot my first Common redstart, a beautiful male, in a small public garden in Pollença town itself.

It is amazing the amount of birds that one can see around Pollença town. A few days ago there were 5 Black vultures (I see 1 or 2 more or less every other day from my top terrace). They were together with 3 Booted eagles (2 of them displaying), 5 Ravens and 1 Kesteel mobbing them all. All flying together around the northern side of Puig de Maria.

Obviously all my tours for March and April are cancelled, but being positive this gives me more time for birding from home.

Hope everybody is well despite the current terrible situation. Stay safe.
Saludos from an isolated Mallorca

Thanks Pere.
There is a big garden watch taking place today with local birders covering much of the Island.
So far, good numbers of Marsh Harrier have been logged and one Common Buzzard.
Nobody knows where they are coming into the Island but with these strong easterlies I would assume somewhere near me.
I have only seen migrant Barn Swallows and House Martins though.
More to come I hope.
Mike

A total of 30 Marsh harrier was recorded.
Also the Common Buzzard mentioned above, 3 Alpine Swift, Common Swift and House Martin.
Lots of resident species seen too with a record of a Common redstart and a Nightingale.
More tomorrow hopefully although rain is forecast.
Mike

I had 2 Black Redstarts up to 2 days ago, none yesterday but replaced by a female Common Redstart. No Nightingale yet. I still have a Robin. Meadow Pipit and White Wagtail 2 days ago, Song thrushes seem to have left.
Here are some photos taken during the Lockdown.

Attachments

• Blackcap_6363.jpg
    Blackcap_6363.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Blackcap_6436.jpg
    Blackcap_6436.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Robin_6357.jpg
    Robin_6357.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Sardinian Warbler_6384.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler_6384.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Wood Pigeon_6633.jpg
    Wood Pigeon_6633.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 29
Scops

Hi,
Almost everyday this week I heard 3 different Scops owls in Pollença, 1 single in the town center and two more singing in a duet at the slopes of Puig de Maria. Also many Stone-curlews singing and a Barn owl passing by home twice.
I have the impression that because of the lockdown birds are more active or at least more detectable (can you say that?) than usually due to very little noise.

Stay safe.

Hi Pere
That’s great news about the Scops owls. I get many enquiries every year about where to find them, especially as the reliable one at the back of an hotel in Pollença is no longer present.
I know what you mean about the birds, it all seems a bit strange out there but I cant quite say why.
I have spent most of the day watching from the balcony and I have seen many more Booted eagles than normal so I wonder if any of them were migrants.
Lots of Marsh Harrier seen moving through today, Alpine Swift and Common Swift too.
I believe a Common Buzzard was seen too but I will have all sightings later.
I saw a distant falcon coming from the coast, dark, sleek and with a long tail. When I saw white around the cheeks, my thoughts were confirmed. A Hobby. A bit early but that’s what it was. It brightened up an otherwise quiet day for me, the other birders further west and central were having a much better time.
Still, I bet they haven’t seen a Scopoli’s shearwater.
Mike

Managed to photograph the Common Redstart today, also male and female Black Redstart were present.

Attachments

• Common Redstart_6855.jpg
    Common Redstart_6855.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Common Redstart_6860.jpg
    Common Redstart_6860.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Black Redstart_6749.jpg
    Black Redstart_6749.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 43
Totals for today with kind permission from the Albercutx team and other observers.
37 Marsh Harrier
I Osprey
2 Common Buzzard.
1 Sparrowhawk
1 Red-rumped swallow
4 Alpine Swift
Many House Martins and some common Swift’s too.
I saw an Osprey later in the day here in Portopetro and two Stone curlews flew by.
A very good day overall.
We are locked in here and unable to go out so I feel very happy that I have such an absorbing hobby, goodness knows what I would be doing without it.
I reckon us birders are very fortunate people indeed.
See what tomorrow brings.
All the best to everyone, Mike

It’s been a great morning so far from the Big Garden Birdwatch team, now covering much of the Island.
3 or four Common buzzards have been seen, several Marsh Harrier and a Bonelli’s Eagle.
I have seen more Booted eagles than normal so my guess is that some of them were migrants.
The biggest surprise of them all was a sighting by Steve of a small group of Bee-eaters! Super-early and maybe a few more surprises are in store.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back