• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Spain Birding Research (1 Viewer)

Leebeewvu

Providing access to private land in Sierra Las Nie
Hi all,

I’m looking to get a picture and understanding of what people look for when going on bird watching holidays and day trips in South Spain.

Do you dedicate whole trips to birding or just choose the odd day trip whilst away?

Do you look for birding experts or someone that can just guide you through the land and sites?

Would you mix bird watching and another activities in a day trip? (For example, 4x4/walking tour in the mountains and a meal in a log cabin in the mountains)

Do you look to mix birdwatching and other nature related experiences?

Do you just stick to public spots or access to private land appeal to you?

Thank you for your time and for responding. We have a unique spot the Sierra las Nieves, South Spain, we are thinking of opening some other activities along-side the tours and experiences we offer and we feel providing a service to bird watching enthusiasts would be good for us as well as creating some unique opportunities to those that value the wildlife like we do.

Enjoy your day
Lee

There is no simple answer, birders come in many different guises.
As a New York birder, I'd be visiting Spain largely for the culture and the birds, but would be delighted to add in other creatures, Miura bulls, lynxes, butterflies, plants etc. I think the overall experience is very much a consideration, so a memorable excursion or a nice evening in a special setting really add value.
Full time guide is essential for me, because of language constraints, so no day trips. Obviously the balance will be different for European visitors, who live next door.
Private land access is not a factor, unless it offers some unique aspect, whether monastery, castle or nature such as eagles, bustards, rollers, etc.

Most birders from UK would want to see as many birds as possible - simple as that.
Usually on a day trip to cut down costs.

Longer tours are already offered by many Companies but mainly cater for pensioners with more disposable income who want to go at an easier pace with a mix of culture, wine and food, and easy birding. I'm not implying pensioners have lots of disposable income, but those who do have every right to spend it how they want of course, and enjoy the good life they have earnt.

My own preference is as Nick outlines; cram as much into one day as possible. A couple of years ago I had a day out in Portugal along those lines, and it enabled me to pretty much scratch my birding itch in one go so as not to impinge too much on the whole family holiday vibe.

I have been on an dedicated birding trip to Spain.
Organised by one of the participants who put together a people carrier full of friends and an 5 day itinerary around Extremadura.

I've also done one day "blasts" during family holidays and arranged for the whole family to go "out for a walk" around a wildlife rich area.

Also birders like me exist. I do not take guides nor "activities", I go to a place with nice nature and maybe (mostly if it's in WP) I prepare some site using a book or the internet for specific species. I look for birds and mammals if possible - I won't say no to a nice hike during the trip, but mostly if there is a chance to see wildlife during it. A private area only interests me if I can go there and be left alone to myself walking around it - in that case, I am willing to even chip in some reasonable fee (say 10 euro per day max) for that experience, if the private area offers wildlife or habitats that are not easily accessible otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back