• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the time of Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

Good stuff - nice one on the eagles!

Just wondering - how are you going about seeing your Mum? ie are you in minimal other contact with others (eg when doing essential food shopping/other members of your family seeing other relatives), and are you observing all the social distancing recommendations when with her?

Good question. The Government has made available a form which has to be filled out stating the nature of your business, i.e. why you are outside and/or outside your council of residence.

The valid reasons are: shopping for essentials, health reasons, work (although a lot less people go to work now - even banks are open every other day), returning to your place of residence if you were somewhere else, and "necessary trips" which include those to assist vulnerable/elderly family members.

You can also exercise outdoors by yourself or with members of your household, always keeping your distance, but it has to be real exercise, not a stroll chatting with a friend. For this you don't need the declaration.

I have been stopped only once and that was coming back from my mum's upon entering the (small) town where I live; the policeman knew me and knew that my mum lives somewhere else so I didn't need to show him the declaration. So I am not really sure that my piece of paper will pass scrutiny but I hope so, as letting her do her own shopping would be infinitely more dangerous than me visiting her twice a week.

I am in minimal contact with others when shopping in the local supermarket (shopping must be in the outlet closest to where you live), but they let in only a limited number of people at a time (the others queue outside, rain or shine), which must keep a distance of at least one metre from each other when inside (and this is enforced, but we are becoming accustomed to keeping our distance from others). Oh and when you get in you have to use the antiseptic gel they provide and use disposable gloves. I also wear a surgical mask, although that is not compulsory (and they are sold out everywhere, we had a few at home from when we renovated). At check-out cashiers are protected by a large plexiglas screen and only one person at a time is allowed through and until they have finished bagging their stuff you are not allowed to go ahead.

When I visit her I wear a mask and disposable gloves, don't touch anything, always keep my distance and stay as little as possible, leave the shopping, chat for 10 minutes and leave.

The problem is that each morning, apart from when I go, she goes down to the newsagent to buy the paper. I have offered to buy her an online subscription (she has an iPad) but she says she wants the real thing. She wears a mask and gloves when she goes and only one customer at a time is allowed inside the tiny newsagents'. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! Andrà tutto bene!

Good question. The Government has made available a form which has to be filled out stating the nature of your business, i.e. why you are outside and/or outside your council of residence.

The problem is that each morning, apart from when I go, she goes down to the newsagent to buy the paper. I have offered to buy her an online subscription (she has an iPad) but she says she wants the real thing. She wears a mask and gloves when she goes and only one customer at a time is allowed inside the tiny newsagents'. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! Andrà tutto bene!

Thanks for the detailed insight. Sounds pretty rigorous, until the information reached in the final paragraph ... ;)

(Which is probably ok, but there will always/usually be some weak link in the chain)

Here in Spain we are in total lock down. You can only leave your house for absolute essentials. People are being told off for stepping outside to smoke a cigarette. You can take ONE dog outside for a pee etc. then you have to go back in. Fortunately we don't live in town and have a hectare of land we can walk around on. Only one person per car is allowed to travel to the shops. One of us will have to go soon as we are running out of wine!!!!!
A bit of birding can be done from the terrace. Vultures, kestrels, booted eagle and the garden birds, goldfinch, blackcap, sardinian warbler and stonechat.
We are in for a long lean period.

Here in Spain we are in total lock down. You can only leave your house for absolute essentials. People are being told off for stepping outside to smoke a cigarette. ....
Brings up the old one . . . Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? . . . who is being out to do the telling off, and how are they avoiding the virus while being out??

Another quiet day today. I heard a Green Woodpecker from the balcony and also saw a Black Redstart singing from the rooftop opposite. At the back the usual Siskins (down to a dozen from about 60-80), Coal, Marsh, Blue and Great Tits, Chaffinches, still a couple of Brambling (presumably passing), Blackbird, Tree Sparrow, Collared Dove, and Chiffchaff (heard only). Plus the Co(r)vids of course ;) !

Another quiet day today. I heard a Green Woodpecker from the balcony and also saw a Black Redstart singing from the rooftop opposite. At the back the usual Siskins (down to a dozen from about 60-80), Coal, Marsh, Blue and Great Tits, Chaffinches, still a couple of Brambling (presumably passing), Blackbird, Tree Sparrow, Collared Dove, and Chiffchaff (heard only). Plus the Co(r)vids of course ;) !

Can I ask you where roughly you live? The variety of birds you see is, well, already bigger than any of my experience in Italy ever :) I guess you are somewhere in a hilly area?

Can I ask you where roughly you live? The variety of birds you see is, well, already bigger than any of my experience in Italy ever :) I guess you are somewhere in a hilly area?

Southern Tuscany, Mount Amiata. Halfway up the mountain at 850 metres. ;) . You are right, Italy is certainly not a prime birding destination, but it can have its moments. You need to know when and where to go. Anytime between June 15 and the end of September will be pretty dead almost anywhere, with a few notable exceptions. Also wildlife is very shy because it's used to be shot at :-C . Also, it's a crowded country with a poor tradition of enjoying the outdoors (apart from beaches that is). Most of the birders we met through Birdingpal enjoyed their time here, but you do need a bit of luck and local knowledge.

Southern Tuscany, Mount Amiata. Halfway up the mountain at 850 metres. ;) . You are right, Italy is certainly not a prime birding destination, but it can have its moments. You need to know when and where to go. Anytime between June 15 and the end of September will be pretty dead almost anywhere, with a few notable exceptions. Also wildlife is very shy because it's used to be shot at :-C . Also, it's a crowded country with a poor tradition of enjoying the outdoors (apart from beaches that is). Most of the birders we met through Birdingpal enjoyed their time here, but you do need a bit of luck and local knowledge.

Ha! I somehow always thought Tuscany is much more in the north, silly me! I googled your mountain and the landscape is really nice. If we ever come back to normal, I will probably resume my work trips to Bologna and now I have a nice idea of a side trip, as this is not far by the fast trains nowadays.

No "active" birding for me, I haven't done much anyway for a year or more. But the onset of the Dawn Chorus wakes me every morning and it's fantastic to hear the birds at 5am, doing what they do and oblivious to the anxieties of humans. The local buzzards are full-on as well, but I haven't heard our local GSW drumming for a few weeks.

Ha! I somehow always thought Tuscany is much more in the north, silly me! I googled your mountain and the landscape is really nice. If we ever come back to normal, I will probably resume my work trips to Bologna and now I have a nice idea of a side trip, as this is not far by the fast trains nowadays.

Fingers crossed for the landscape. They are chopping down our woods at an alarming pace. There are also plans to build another geothermal power plant (it would be the third in the area)... :C

If you go to Bologna, especially in the first half of May then by all means go to the Po Delta NP. Of course depends on what species you are after!

Things are getting slower every day at the feeders: only three species of Tits and a few Siskins, but I still got a couple of good sightings when i went for a brisk walk/run (it won't be long before it won't be allowed any longer). By a derelict pond/artificial lake that was part of the old mercury mine I saw a Moorhen and then a Grey Wagtail. Soon after, there were at least 6 male Blackbirds engaged in a territorial dispute in the middle of the football pitch and a pair of smart Black Redstarts on the fence of the athletics track. Also two Wood Pigeons and the usual Corvids. When I got back I went to refill the feeders (which had been raided since I had last looked before lunch - unfortunately we don't see them from our windows) and going back and forth between the two tubes and the nearby trees were three pairs of Tits: 2 Marsh, 2 Blue and 2 Coal. two or three Siskins also put in an appearance, while a few Chaffinches were flying between the Pine trees further away.

Another slow day. Usual Tits and Siskins at the feeders, Blackbirds, Chaffinches and Tree Sparrows about and Black Redstart singing from the rooftop opposite. G thinks he may have seen a Swallow. From tomorrow stricter measures will be in place which mean we'll only be able to exercise close to home....
Attached below a couple of pics from yesterday which I had forgotten to post.

Attachments

• farfalla.jpg
    farfalla.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 38
  • ladybird.jpg
    ladybird.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 30
Large Tortoiseshell, nice indeed! That species always classifies the day as a good one in my book :)

Thanks Jos, I knew I could count on you for ID (too lazy to look it up in the butterfly book)! it was in the local park, around the athletics track (see photo in earlier post), which has now been shut as with all parks in the country. :-C

Another drive to my mother's provided some good sightings and a much needed break from staying indoors. This time I was also stopped at a checkpoint and asked to produce my paperwork which was deemed in order.

On the way out I had a brief glimpse of a Green Woodpecker crossing the road in front of me and soon afterwards a nice Buzzard sitting atop a tree. The usual Chaffinches and then my first Swallow of the year over a field. In a ditch, soon after that a Great White Egret, a tick for my C-19 checklist, and also a couple of Little Egrets. Crossing a small town several House Martins were zooming in and out of last year's nests.

Coming back, a Kestrel soaring just out of town (a c-19 tick as well, I had seen several before starting this thread and they are usually one of the commonest species). Approaching the town where I had seen the House Martins I saw a Short-toed Eagle and immediately afterwards a Red Kite. About a dozen Cattle Egret were grazing in a vineyard and then I heard Chiffchaff and Zitting Cisticola. Another Kestrel flew over as I was getting closer to home.

Other species included: Wood Pigeon, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaws, Serin and Stonechat.

The final surprise came in the afternoon as I was playing volleyball (well she was playing, I was trying and failing badly ;) ) with the offspring at the back: 2-3 Long-tailed Tits in the Hazelnut tree by the feeders, not a C-19 tick as I had seen one on the 14th, but I had forgotten to write it in the checklist and here, although it was in my notes.

Finally, here's a picture of my mum's tiny triangular balcony, that I had mentioned a few days ago. You can just see the fat balls hanging from the clothesline and the "bird bath" in the corner.

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 60
It may be small, but I love your mum's balcony! Keep up the good work, I am thoroughly enjoying your posts!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back