• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hedge cutting UK (1 Viewer)

One of my neighbours is having his hedge cut, quite a long stretch around his garden. I thought it was illegal to cut hedges at this time of the year due to disturbance of nesting birds. Can anyone advise wether this is legal or not.
Jackie

It is legal to cut hedges at any time of the year. It is however also illegal to intentionally destroy a nest whist in use or to destroy eggs. The key point here is "intentionally", you must know the nest was there and intentionally destroy it. For some rarer birds the broader term "recklessly" is used, see the list of "schedule one" birds here, https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...e-law/wildlife-and-countryside-act/schedules/

Some farmers may be in receipt of certain grants that restrict them from cutting hedges during the breeding season but this is unlikely to the case for a garden.

I would suggest a quiet word might be better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back