• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest box question! (1 Viewer)

TwoCrows

I been maintaining a nest box for Juniper Titmice for several years now. This is their 3 season of using it and have raised successful broods
2 years in a row. Earlier this week they finished building the nest and the female has begun laying her eggs.

Here is my question...I have peeked inside the box 3 times this week checking/counting eggs. I am gentle and replace the fur cap she keeps over the eggs. While I am not manhandling the nest, I am moving it around a bit. I only did this when she and her mate were not around. I have now stopped because I am worried she knows and will become worried about predators. I don't think she is incubating yet. Did I scare her off, does she know something was messing with her eggs?

Thank you for any info or peace of mind you can give me! :)

Last edited:
As I stated in my welcome message, the only safe way to know what is going on in a nest box is to use a camera that has been placed in the box prior to the birds using it. I don’t know if you scared them off or not, it is best to not go into the nest until after the incubation period has past by a while.

I know the Purple Martin Conservation Assn. encourages checking on a regular basis, but I'm uncomfortable doing that. I'd rather just keep my fingers crossed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back