• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pernis apivorus or hybrid ? North West greece May 24, 2020 (1 Viewer)

bairakta

Pernis apivorus female but rather long P6, gives the impression of broad wings and has a defined "gorget", is there any chance that this is a hybrid?

Attachments

• 1-24-Mai-2020.jpg
    1-24-Mai-2020.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2-24-Mai-2020.jpg
    2-24-Mai-2020.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 3-24-Mai-2020.jpg
    3-24-Mai-2020.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 149
I tend to shy away from hybrid theories. I'm not at all sure that it's not just an odd European Honey Buzzards but the wings do look broad so can a female Oriental Honey Buzzard (not a species with which I'm very familiar) be entirely discounted?

I tend to shy away from hybrid theories. I'm not at all sure that it's not just an odd European Honey Buzzards but the wings do look broad so can a female Oriental Honey Buzzard (not a species with which I'm very familiar) be entirely discounted?

Me too, are they known to hybridise and if so, with what?

Me too, are they known to hybridise and if so, with what?

in Dick Forsman’s latest ‘Flight Identification’ guide there is a whole chapter called ‘Identification of hybrid Honey-buzzards’. They seem to be common where both EHB and OHB meet (same for GSE LSE hybrids, common as well).

It’s interesting (both birds in image 2 and 3 appear to be on the same plane) no doubt a frame or two apart and yet the wing shape differs to my eye, being more compact (looking shorter winged) in image 2. and longer winged in 3?

Cheers

It’s interesting (both birds in image 2 and 3 appear to be on the same plane) no doubt a frame or two apart and yet the wing shape differs to my eye, being more compact (looking shorter winged) in image 2. and longer winged in 3?

Cheers

I agree Ken, OHB and EHB have very different wingshape, hybrids are in between but here wingshape is different in every pic

Cheers

in image 3 the bird approaches and in image 2 the bird is turning looking(there are 12 frames apart during the second circle of the birds flight it was moving circular above me ) at the camera probably the difference at the wing shape is due to the angle of the flight. the image i post here it is vertical above me

Attachments

• x 24 may 2020.jpg
    x 24 may 2020.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 63
I agree Ken, OHB and EHB have very different wingshape, hybrids are in between but here wingshape is different in every pic

it was moving circular s the angle is different between pics i just posted a fram ethat is above me

Attachments

• x 24 may 2020.jpg
    x 24 may 2020.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 59
interesting bird, my guess would be still EHB with P5 as long as it it could get, the smudgy gorget is a bit disturbing though. Send it to Dick Forsman and tell us what he thinks about it (www.dickforsman.com)

Dick Forsman's reply :
To me this looks like a normal European Honey-buzzard (EHB), an adult
female. The underwing and tail barring, the wing shape, the wing-formula
and the dark carpal patch all comply nicely with a normal adult female
EHB, and to my eyes there is nothing suggesting influence from any other
species in this bird. If someone has made a point about the slightly
protruding 6th finger, the shape and length of this primary is still
perfectly within the variation found in EHB. The 6th finger (=p5) shows
no distinct emargination along its outer web (which can be clearly seen
in the backlit images) as there should be in Oriental Honey-buzzard, in
which the feather is both longer and more clearly fingered than here.

Dick Forsman's reply :
To me this looks like a normal European Honey-buzzard (EHB), an adult
female. The underwing and tail barring, the wing shape, the wing-formula
and the dark carpal patch all comply nicely with a normal adult female
EHB, and to my eyes there is nothing suggesting influence from any other
species in this bird. If someone has made a point about the slightly
protruding 6th finger, the shape and length of this primary is still
perfectly within the variation found in EHB. The 6th finger (=p5) shows
no distinct emargination along its outer web (which can be clearly seen
in the backlit images) as there should be in Oriental Honey-buzzard, in
which the feather is both longer and more clearly fingered than here.

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back