• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

Just got back from a trip to Northern Peru where I managed to get around 277 lifers out of trip list of nearly 600. Favourites included Maranon and Elegant Crescentchests, Lulu's Tody-Tyrant, Black Necked Woodpecker, White Tailed Jay, Marvellous Spatuletail, Kopecke's Screech Owl, Many Coloured Rush Tyrant, Pearl Kite, Black Collared Hawk, Black Faced Ibis. The last tick of the trip however was the best Inca Tern probably the best looking tern around.

Last edited:
Four today around the Kedron Brook/Nudgee area of Brisbane, with Golden-headed Cisticola, Red-necked Avocet (very nice!), Mangrove Honeyeater and Striped Honeyeater. A very good day!

Caspian Gull, at RSPB Minsmere on Friday 13th.

Every time I see another of the less common gulls, I tell myself I don't "do" gulls and I'm never going to do this again. Yet somehow there always seems to be one more that decides to show well, somewhere near me, offering a tick in exchange for learning yet more obscure plumage details. Time to admit that I have a problem. Is there a gull-aholics anonymous that I can contact?

Returned home today after a several-day birding trip through southern Arizona with some friends. I saw 7 lifers over the course of the trip, with one of them being my milestone #500. They were as follows:

November 23
495. Sinaloa Wren (long-staying rarity)
496. Bridled Titmouse
497. Mexican Jay
498. Arizona Woodpecker (preceding 4 all in Huachuca Canyon)
499. Magnificent Hummingbird (Ramsey Canyon Preserve)
500. Yellow-eyed Junco (Miller Canyon)

November 25 (today)
501. Crissal Thrasher (Yuma West Wetlands)

Two around New Zealand's Marlborough Sounds today with the endemic Rough-faced Shag along with Yellow-crowned Parakeet, and yesterday Southern Royal Albatross off Kaikoura!

Every time I see another of the less common gulls, I tell myself I don't "do" gulls and I'm never going to do this again. Yet somehow there always seems to be one more that decides to show well, somewhere near me, offering a tick in exchange for learning yet more obscure plumage details. Time to admit that I have a problem. Is there a gull-aholics anonymous that I can contact?

Now that's more like it - grey phalarope yesterday, feeding right next to the causeway at Farmoor and completely unconcerned by the assembled photographers.

My recent trip to Botswana was not a dedicated birding trip, but I did record over 200 species.... The pick of the bunch were:
Southern Carmine Bee-eater
Schalow's Turaco
Rock Pratincole
and Pel's Fishing Owl
The last lifer (of about 60) was a lone Cape Teal.

Ringed Teal: m and f at Costanera Sur in Buenos Aires, the last of 109 new birds during a great southern Argentina tour. #4725.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back