Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

African Reed Warbler

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 11:42   #51
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lowther View Post
P.s. getting DNA sequence from a faecal sample should be easy,
Or not, depending on how deep the water and mud are that the reeds with the pooh on, are growing in
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 12:05   #52
James Lowther

I didn’t say getting the sample was easy.

James
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 12:27   #53
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
http://www.magornitho.org/files/2016...ed-warbler.pdf

Bottom line is this is a very difficult taxon to identify in the field, and in the WP at least the confusion species occurs as non-breeders in the same area.

So in the absence of “unambiguus” evidence of breeding behaviour in Iberia or Morocco as nutcracker suggests you need to weigh up how happy you are to tick something on the balance of probability

James

P.s. getting DNA sequence from a faecal sample should be easy, opisska’s friends may just not be experienced with those types of samples
Oh yeah, I asked them again and it was a misunderstanding. We first talked about observing the number of chromosomes - because on paper it sounds easier. However that can't really be done from poop, because you need multiplying cells for that and those are not well extracted from poop. Then they explained me the procedures and it turned out that DNA sequencing is actually easier end-to-end, but I got somehow stuck on the idea of poop not being good, but that pertains only to chromosome counting.

So I am now discussing with them how I am gonna bring them some poop of Reed Warblers in two weeks from Spain :) The only question is how does one go around collecting that from a specific bird?
Birds: world 1970, WP 556 (#1 Czech WP birder!*)
Mammals: 236
* and my wife is #3
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 13:08   #54
andyadcock

Quote:
http://www.magornitho.org/files/2016...ed-warbler.pdf

Bottom line is this is a very difficult taxon to identify in the field, and in the WP at least the confusion species occurs as non-breeders in the same area.

So in the absence of “unambiguus” evidence of breeding behaviour in Iberia or Morocco as nutcracker suggests you need to weigh up how happy you are to tick something on the balance of probability

James

P.s. getting DNA sequence from a faecal sample should be easy, opisska’s friends may just not be experienced with those types of samples
I'm curious as to the wing length difference as stated in LBJ's, (post 29) you'd think that would be possible to see?
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 17:01   #55
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I'm curious as to the wing length difference as stated in LBJ's, (post 29) you'd think that would be possible to see?
Not by eye, but it might be possible from a set of good quality photos. The photos would need to be very good though, not the options like this usually available
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 09:46   #56
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
The ID guide by NVD mentions a primary projection of c60% for what I assume are proper baeticatus (he mentions breeding in Libya but as already mentioned his book pre-dates the ambiguus situation) as opposed to 70-100% for scirpaceus. The difference should be discernible.

Steve
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 12:25   #57
rollie_nl
Roland from Holland

These links to papers may be worthwhile to mention:
- http://www.magornitho.org/files/2016...ed-warbler.pdf (also mentioned by James Lowther I just noted)
- https://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal/..._1.pdf#page=33
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 15:02   #58
Ian Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Kangaroo View Post
Please let me know the distinguishing features of the African Reed warbler please as i would not like to tick a bird with no effort.
My understanding is that it has an emarginated 5th primary, which might be visible in a very good photo.

Saw an 'Ambiguous' Reed Warbler singing in Algeria on my recent 'nuthatch twitch', looked a bit shorter winged but sounded the same as Eurasian Reed Warbler.

Ian
Old Thursday 13th June 2019, 09:20   #59
opisska
Jan Ebr

So, while the greater minds of BF were improving the theoretical understanding of the issue, I went down to Andalusia to bring some practical material to the table. I heard a plenty of Reed Warbler song at two sites: Gudalhorce estuary and Humedal de Padul, but only managed to take reasonable photos of two birds at the second site. KenM was so nice to have a look at those, because at first, I wasn't even sure those are Reed Warblers and he concluded that those fit better as Eurasian - see https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=377695

If this is indeed the case, then even seeing a Reed Warbler in June in Spain isn't really safe for African, so I am probably gonna remove this short-lived entry to my WP list.

edit: I have added another specimen to that thread, which looks better, but I still really don't know. Also, collecting any poop seems really less easy than I thought, now that I have given it a thought while on location, looking into the impossible reeds ...
Birds: world 1970, WP 556 (#1 Czech WP birder!*)
Mammals: 236
* and my wife is #3

Last edited by opisska : Thursday 13th June 2019 at 18:15.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: