Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 11th June 2019, 18:43   #676
Mike Montier

Some figures for the spring migration at the tower, Albercutx.
Bee-eaters aside, 411 went through, the most common raptor was Marsh Harrier with a total of 148 birds.
Next came Black Kite with 82 then the fabulous Honey buzzards with 68 being logged.
29 Common Kestrels went through on migration.
23 Hobby.
17 Booted eagles.
15 Red Kite.
A very good total of 14 Sparrowhawk were counted and 11 Common Buzzard.
3 Montagu’s harriers.
3 Black stork.
The highlight would have been the possible Goshawk that was seen on the 24th March but it was not positively identified.
Many thanks to Lalo and all the members of GORA for these details.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Wednesday 12th June 2019 at 16:14.
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 09:00   #677
Factor
Neil Randon

I have put up a post on my blog about my recent holiday on the island – an excellent visit! http://www.randonsramblings.com/2019...h-birding.html
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 11:23   #678
Mike Montier

Hi Neil.
A very enjoyable read, thanks for sharing it.
I have had a number of enquiries for a site for Nightjar in the north so I was wondering if you could give some details and whether other birders would be able to visit the site unless it’s on private land.
Many thanks, Mike
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 14:45   #679
honeym

Yes, a nice report, and one that reminds me of similar experiences I had years ago when staying in villas in the March valley. A nice-looking villa, too.
Martin
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 20:24   #680
Ben Nevis

Lovely report Neil.
Shall be visiting the Island again next month and looking forward to seeing the special birds that call Mallorca home,again.
Old Thursday 13th June 2019, 10:17   #681
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Egyptian Vulture

Hello!
One Egyptian Vulture was seen by Pedro around the cliffs of Cala Sant Vicenç this last weekend.
Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Thursday 13th June 2019, 10:56   #682
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratincol View Post
Stopping off in Majorca[ capital city] on a cruise in August.
Any handy places on bus routes out of the capital to go for a walk for birdwatching or scenic areas.Don't mind long strenous walks
Is the bird reserve near Pollensa on a bus route?
Thanks
Hello,
It depends on the time you'll have it's a worth or not take de bus to Pollença or Alcúdia.
The bus 340 goes to Port de Pollença and it takes at least an hour to arrive. If you stop in Llenaire, then, walking, s'Albufereta Reserve is not far from there. If not, from Port de Pollença the bus 352 stops in s'Albufereta and Albufera Natural Park.
The bus 351 goes from Palma to Platja de Muro, which is closer to the main entrance of s'Albufera Natural Park, but I'm not sure which is the stop for the Park.

If you stay in Palma, you can walk part of the bay to the south and see some birds on the coast of Es Portitxol, Es Molinar, Ciutat Jardí and in an area called Es Carnatge. But that area is quite busy now.

Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Friday 14th June 2019, 18:09   #683
pratincol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGola View Post
Hello,
It depends on the time you'll have it's a worth or not take de bus to Pollença or Alcúdia.
The bus 340 goes to Port de Pollença and it takes at least an hour to arrive. If you stop in Llenaire, then, walking, s'Albufereta Reserve is not far from there. If not, from Port de Pollença the bus 352 stops in s'Albufereta and Albufera Natural Park.
The bus 351 goes from Palma to Platja de Muro, which is closer to the main entrance of s'Albufera Natural Park, but I'm not sure which is the stop for the Park.

If you stay in Palma, you can walk part of the bay to the south and see some birds on the coast of Es Portitxol, Es Molinar, Ciutat Jardí and in an area called Es Carnatge. But that area is quite busy now.

Regards,
Cristina.
Thanks- very helpful
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 19:36   #684
Factor
Neil Randon

Hi Mike - I think it was on private land just along the road from where the villa was. Heard one churring on three consecutive evenings - but not for long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightjar area bigger.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	697735

Name:	Nightjar area.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	697736
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 19:45   #685
Mike Montier

Thanks Neil.

A Ruddy shelduck at the depuradora, Albufera today.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 16:17   #686
StewB

We arrived in Puerto Pollenca around lunchtime today (red kite on the drive up from the airport). After lunch I had a quick dash around the Albufereta and Ca’n Cuarassa, although the heat of the afternoon wasn’t the most productive time to visit. A stone curlew at the Albufereta and a woodchat at Ca’n Cuarassa were the bird highlights, but butterflies rather stole the show, with lots of clouded yellows, Cleopatras and swallowtails.

Very unexpectedly I had a Monarch - it was battering against a chain-link fence at the Albufereta, before working out that it could fly over it. It then flew off over a field of umbellifers and was lost to view. Is this a species that occurs regularly?

I stopped on the seafront on my way back. There were 6+ Audouin’s gulls and 10+ shags on the offshore breakwaters (I always feel a bit shifty standing on a tourist beach with binoculars in hand!).

Stew
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 20:20   #687
stuartg

I saw the Ruddy Shelduck with Cristina on Saturday. Can I ask what the locals view on the provenance of this bird is please?
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 21:16   #688
Mike Montier

Hi Stew, welcome to Mallorca.
Nice record of a Monarch, my favourite butterfly. I’m not sure of the status as I remember records of a very similar species but I’m sure Martin or Mike Swiss will know.
See you tomorrow, hopefully some good birds and butterflies await!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 05:04.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 21:18   #689
Mike Montier

Hi Stuartg. Ruddy shelduck is a national rarity as far as I’m aware.
A pair were seen last year and were accepted as such but again, I’m sure Pep or others will comment.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 05:03.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 23:22   #690
kevinh

I reported seeing a Monarch a few years ago and was corrected by Martin. Apparently they are Plain Tigers which are very similar. If I remember correctly the Mallorcan government are trying to eradicate them by removing their foodplants.
I'm sure Martin will supply more detailed information.
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 05:19   #691
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
I reported seeing a Monarch a few years ago and was corrected by Martin. Apparently they are Plain Tigers which are very similar. If I remember correctly the Mallorcan government are trying to eradicate them by removing their foodplants.
I'm sure Martin will supply more detailed information.
Thanks Kevin - that makes sense, although I wonder what the problem could be that requires their eradication!?

Stew
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 08:46   #692
honeym

Hi Stew
As others have mentioned, it might have been a Plain Tiger Danaus chrysippus (which lacks the black outlining the wing veins). Despite the work done to eradicate one of its foodplants (Gomphocarpus fruticosus - an alien invader - hence the attempt to eradicate it as the islands have enough invaders that are out-competing the native flora) it seems to be having a good year - with several recent records from both Mallorca and Menorca. In fact a friend is monitoring them so I'll pass on your record.
Martin
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 09:41   #693
Maties Rebassa

Hi. Ruddy Shelducks are seen now and then in Mallorca. Some birds are probably escapes, but others arrive from their breeding sites. Many of the sightings occur in juny-july, so probably these are wild birds.

Butterflies: as Martin said, Plain Tiger is seen regularly in Mallorca, but lately some Monarchs have been seen too. First sight was in 2008, if I'm not wrong (Martin knows much better thant me!). In Ibiza has been seen too, in 2017. In Andalucía (south Spain) this butterfly seems to be well established.

Changing again to birds, sorry. On sunday at least 50 mediterranean Storm Petrels were seen 20 miles south of Mallorca, and 1 very unseasonal Black Tern too, flying north. In Puerto de Palma 3 Common Terns feeding amongst the boats, a strange place for them.

Best wishes

Last edited by Maties Rebassa : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 11:09.
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 14:25   #694
StewB

Not exactly a bird-filled day, but spent in the company of Mike M it was (of course) immensely enjoyable.

There were bee eaters (8+) along the road at Son Bosc, with booted eagle and thekla larks for good measure. At the Depuradora we spent quite a long time in the hope of ruddy shelduck (no luck, sadly), but two marbled duck, a female pochard (accompanied by a solitary chick) and a green sandpiper kept us occupied until two flamingoes arrived for a fly around. Eventually they decided not to land and flew off north.

Very little seemed to be happening at S’Amarador, but with little else to do we persevered from the tower, eventually seeing purple heron and a lovely male little bittern. Dragonflies here included black-tailed skimmer, red-veined darter and a single Norfolk hawker. Following my record from yesterday, we had another plain tiger fly along the muddy bank below us (“plain” is an apt description as Martin pointed out, with no black veins). As we walked back to the car we had a black pennant dragonfly perched-up on a tall stick.

We couldn’t find any waxbills at the southern end of the Cami des Polls, but we had a territorial male keeled skimmer at the sluices. We checked out the orchards further along the road for waxbills (again, unsuccessful), but we had another black pennant perched up on a fence - hopefully the attached photo shows the diagnostic “equals sign” pterostigma.

Stew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0D402062-976D-4911-85CD-0A90422BEC43.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	697942  Click image for larger version

Name:	D68CF008-A44D-41C8-9512-00F7DF6DDE4A.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	697943  Click image for larger version

Name:	AF7A516C-DC5B-4BCB-9B2C-3968746ACC93.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	697944  Click image for larger version

Name:	A3337154-2A7B-47DA-B6BF-383BFE00620F.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	697946  
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 16:10   #695
Mike Montier

Thanks for posting Stew.
It was a great day as always.
Thanks also for teaching me about the dragonflies, I’m hooked!
Plain tiger was a new species of butterfly for me.
Mike
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 16:45   #696
stuartg

Just returned from a week in Puerto Pollensa - I had thought that this would be not such a good week given migration has finished, but it was really enjoyable. Bird highlights included Ruddy Shelduck, Spotless Starling, Woodchat Shrikes and Cirl Buntings feeding young, Purple Heron, Tawny Pipit, Bee-eaters, Blue Rock Thrush and many Eleanora's Falcon. I was very grateful to the Cristina of Balears Wildlife who expertly guided me and showed me places like Son Bosc, Son Real and Depuadora that I have read about on this forum. It was also fantastic to see all of the butterflies including Two-tailed Pasha, Plain Tiger, Cleopatra and Clouded Yellow. Add to these seeing Pine Marten and Mediterranean Tortoise made it a great week.
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 20:46   #697
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maties Rebassa View Post
Hi. Butterflies: as Martin said, Plain Tiger is seen regularly in Mallorca, but lately some Monarchs have been seen too. First sight was in 2008, if I'm not wrong (Martin knows much better thant me!). In Ibiza has been seen too, in 2017. In Andalucía (south Spain) this butterfly seems to be well established. Best wishes
Hi Maties

From my knowledge most, if not all, of the Monarch sightings on the Balearic Islands relate to adult butterflies that are ceremonially released at weddings and funerals. A strange practise and one that I've written about in a joint paper. It seems to happen all over the place but I personally wish it didn't as it makes recording 'real' specimens impossible. It is, however, as you say, established in parts of mainland Spain.
Best wishes
Martin
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 20:48   #698
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartg View Post
Plain Tiger
Hi Stuart
Where abouts was your Plain Tiger sighting (and date, if possible).
Thanks
Martin
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 20:53   #699
Mike Montier

Hi Martin
There were two sightings of Plain Tiger in two different places.
One seen by Stewb yesterday and one seen by us both today at s’Amarrador.
Stew will give details of his sighting yesterday.
Mike
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 21:22   #700
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Today evening we have been up the Puig of Teix, and found 3 males of spectacled warbler and 1 male of rock thrush up the rocks.
Also severals tawny pipits and 1 o 2 weather.
It is always hard to walk up there but it worth a visit to enjoy this scarce birds of the high majorcan mountain.
We loved the picture of the spectacled warbler with the Estepa joana (hypericum balearicum) one kind of shrub you can find only in the Balearics islands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	123 Passera.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	697971  Click image for larger version

Name:	193 BusqueretTrencamates.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	697972  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread