• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

buyjng new scopes (1 Viewer)

It is impossible to buy a scope purely from recommendation. Everyone on here will vere towards their own chosen scopes.

Recently I was in the lucky position where an insurance policy had paid out. I was able to choose a new scope from the whole range. I read all the reports on here and in magazines, before I went looking.

I am fortunate enough to live close to both InFocus and FocalPoint. I visited both and looked through lots of scopes. I initially set my heart on an opticron. Then looked through a Nikon 82. Wow the difference was apparent to me straight away. The problem was I could not get on with the different focusing wheel of the Nikon. I quickly dismissed the Leica.

I looked again, this time at the Swaro 80 HD and the Zeiss85. The swaro was the most expensive of the bunch and I assumed the best. Unfortunatly with my eyes (I do not have the best eyesight in the world!) I found the Swarovski much duller than I had expected. It was probably the best made of all I saw! Then I looked into the Zeiss and hey presto it was bright, wide field of view, clear as crystal and suited me to the ground. I could even cope with the two wheel focusing. It was perfect for me and I bought it, and have not regretted it since.

The Zeiss in a recent magazine review came out a poor third or forth. But to my eyes it far outstrips all the rivals.

I cannot say it is a better or worse scope that any other. No one can. All it is possible to say is that it is the best for me. It probably will not be better for you or lots of others. It is a personal choice. I love it, others will probably hate it. Thats life.

What I am trying to say is go to a retailer or fair that has all the brands for veiwing. Obviously your budget rules the choices, but look very carefully through all the options in your price bracket. Do not just choose the most expensive cause you can afford it, cause that may not be the right choice for you. Buy the combination that lets you do all that you want. Choose wisely my friend otherwise you may well be posting here again next year looking for a part exchange.......

Last edited:
I agree with your comments Mick, we are all individuals, with our own perspectives, and i feel that i have chosen wisely, and now both myself and my wife look forward to some enlightening experiences with our first scope. I agree with Scampo, it certainly has been a revelation for us, and realise now how much we have been missing, just using binoculars. Regards Phil.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back