• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding Lesser-spotted Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

I was really lucky on this bird. I was spinning for pike on the Royal military canal in Hythe and heard 1 tapping away. It was about 12 feet above my head, i took a pic with a not so good camera and you can just about make it out. I was surprized just how small it looked. Right place right time. Doesnt happen often

Old Sulehay

A pair have been performing very well this week in the early morning at Old Sulehay Forest on the Northants/Cambs border. The circled area on the link is best, which is at a fork in the paths where there is a large number of Sycamores. Park on the road at the east end of the wood near Wansford village. Take one of the small paths off to the left from the central east/west track.
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=52.574&lon=-0.4297&scale=25000&icon=x

Try round Fritham Pond if you're going to the New Forest. LSW drumming there over the Easter Weekend, opposite side of the pond to the car park. Firecrests there too.

Anyone looking for a site in Surrey then Nonsuch Park in Cheam had a female once in February (the 4th to be precise), but I do not know if this is a regular site or a one off.

Fluke LSW

I am new to birding, the bird forum and digiscoping. I recently treated myself to my first scope and was trying to get some shots of Tree Sparrows on one of the feeders in my garden when I spotted this little beauty out of the corner of my eye. With trembling hands I managed to get the attached shots (The camera was hand held onto the eyepiece so I knew I would be lucky to get anything printable)

The previous week I had driven 250 miles in the hope of seeing a LSW and one pops up in my garden, pure fluke.

I watch the feeders more closely now, in the hope of a return visit.

Bryan

Fluke LSW

As I said new to the site and I screwed up the attachments

Novices!!!

Bryan

Attachments

• LSW1.jpg
    LSW1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 152
  • LSW2.jpg
    LSW2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 138
Oh you are so lucky - in your garden grr

I've yet to see one in the UK

D

Hi Bryan,

Just realised you've not had an official greeting yet so a warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

Nice pics :t: LSW in the garden. Jealous - me - never:-C

I finally got one the other week and I wasn't even looking. I was walking up a footpath quite near my house, which crosses a river and goes into some pretty mature woodland (I'm not good on trees but there were large f***-off oaks). I was scanning the water for dippers (I'm sure I'll see one here one day...) and I saw a bird dart across from near the water into the woods which looked just like a GSW but tiny. A briefi glimpse, but definitely a LSW! This was about 6pm in the evening.

I've also seen both other species fairly nearby as well.

I'm going to get myself there at 6am one morning and have a proper look.

I was in Savernake Forest near Marlborough at the weekend and had amazing views of a couple of Lesser spots. There were at least 4 birds calling like mad late morning near the Saddle Oaks. I think these were on Long Harry track at c.SU206676, at the NW (Marlborough) end not too far from the FC carpark at Postern Hill.

Should be a good bet for anyone who wants to see this species.

Lesser or Greater

Not sure which one it is, but I've seen the l/g spotted woodpecker the last 3 times I've been on a walk up the Hart to Haswell walkway. Not seen it popping in/out of any holes but there's a large dead tree truck full of Holes and it's never to far away from it. Also seen a tree creeper as well as many other birds that a novice like me can ID yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back