• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B.3 8X30 (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Greetings...
A couple of weeks ago I had the good fortune to get to do a day of birding in St Kitts. WONDERFUL place to bird. I was VERY happy and excited watching banaquits, brown boobys, and Antillean Bullfinches et al for a day! We did a LOT of walking...Ashlee with the 35mm DSLR/telephoto lens and me with the backpack and two pairs of binoculars....SV 8X32 and Leica Trinovid 8X32....along with water....field guides, rain jackets....you get the picture. The pack started getting HEAVY. So I figured a good excuse to try some new binoculars would be to try to get the binoculars with the most performance and the least weight....enter the Maven B.3 8X30.

I looked around quite a bit and the B.3s seemed to best fit the mould I was looking for....LIGHT with little to no optical compromise. I think they fit that bill. I emailed Cade with Maven a few times with very quick responses from him. I ordered the B.3s and they were on the way the same afternoon. Quick.

When they arrived I have to admit I was a little bit excited. I mean you know what to expect when UPS shows up with some EL Swarovision binoculars but this was truly going to be something new. I couldn't have opened the box fast enough and immediately went to the back door, turned in the eyecups, and focused on some house finches up the hill. I first thought was....WOW! What a great image! Focus was a little firm but easy to find the perfect setting. From the second I lifted them from the box my thought was "quality." I was very pleased with my purchase and I couldn't wait until my next off day..

My off day was yesterday and of course I went birding. I took the new B.3s and my SV 10X42s. My goal today was to use the Maven's with the SV for longer distance if necessary. I won't say the view thru the B.3 is incredible but it's DANG good for a $500 binocular. The adjustable eyecups are at LEAST as good as my Zeiss HTs, probably better. The first bird I saw was a red tail hawk perched in the top of a pine tree. I didn't have to reach for the SVs and the image was crystal clear. I'd say the image was flat except to about the last 30% or so....maybe more so. I REALLY like these binoculars except...as much as I hate it...I'm going to have to return them.

Eye relief.... Wow...it's ALMOST there. But it's not. With me, my Ray-Ban eyeglasses, and the B.3 8X30s I'm unable to see the complete FOV. And I was TRYING. Even pushing the Maven's into my glasses a little I just couldn't get there. I KNEW it was going to be close. So as much as I HATE to I'm going to have to return them.

Customer service.... I have a retail business so I know about customer service. Much easier to smile as the product goes out the door than when it is brought back. The key is to treat folks like you want to be treated. That's the way Cade treated me. Return? No problem and no worries. Sooo...

9X45.... I was so impressed with Cade, Maven, and the B.3 that I ordered a B.2 9X45 that I don't really even need. But I kinda feel like I'd be missing out without giving them a try. 2.2mm more of eye relief should be just the ticket. I wonder how these will compare to the SV 8.5X42?

I only used the Maven 8X30 for one day, true. I do believe they are well worth their $500 asking price especially compared to some of it's competition. Even with this short time I'd recommend the B.3 8X30s PROVIDED you don't wear eyeglasses. They may work for some that do but IMO I won't recommended them for eyeglass wearers.

Attachments

• DSC_0520.JPG
    DSC_0520.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 603
Greetings...
A couple of weeks ago I had the good fortune to get to do a day of birding in St Kitts. WONDERFUL place to bird. I was VERY happy and excited watching banaquits, brown boobys, and Antillean Bullfinches et al for a day! We did a LOT of walking...Ashlee with the 35mm DSLR/telephoto lens and me with the backpack and two pairs of binoculars....SV 8X32 and Leica Trinovid 8X32....along with water....field guides, rain jackets....you get the picture. The pack started getting HEAVY. So I figured a good excuse to try some new binoculars would be to try to get the binoculars with the most performance and the least weight....enter the Maven B.3 8X30.

I looked around quite a bit and the B.3s seemed to best fit the mould I was looking for....LIGHT with little to no optical compromise. I think they fit that bill. I emailed Cade with Maven a few times with very quick responses from him. I ordered the B.3s and they were on the way the same afternoon. Quick.

When they arrived I have to admit I was a little bit excited. I mean you know what to expect when UPS shows up with some EL Swarovision binoculars but this was truly going to be something new. I couldn't have opened the box fast enough and immediately went to the back door, turned in the eyecups, and focused on some house finches up the hill. I first thought was....WOW! What a great image! Focus was a little firm but easy to find the perfect setting. From the second I lifted them from the box my thought was "quality." I was very pleased with my purchase and I couldn't wait until my next off day..

My off day was yesterday and of course I went birding. I took the new B.3s and my SV 10X42s. My goal today was to use the Maven's with the SV for longer distance if necessary. I won't say the view thru the B.3 is incredible but it's DANG good for a $500 binocular. The adjustable eyecups are at LEAST as good as my Zeiss HTs, probably better. The first bird I saw was a red tail hawk perched in the top of a pine tree. I didn't have to reach for the SVs and the image was crystal clear. I'd say the image was flat except to about the last 30% or so....maybe more so. I REALLY like these binoculars except...as much as I hate it...I'm going to have to return them.

Eye relief.... Wow...it's ALMOST there. But it's not. With me, my Ray-Ban eyeglasses, and the B.3 8X30s I'm unable to see the complete FOV. And I was TRYING. Even pushing the Maven's into my glasses a little I just couldn't get there. I KNEW it was going to be close. So as much as I HATE to I'm going to have to return them.

Customer service.... I have a retail business so I know about customer service. Much easier to smile as the product goes out the door than when it is brought back. The key is to treat folks like you want to be treated. That's the way Cade treated me. Return? No problem and no worries. Sooo...

9X45.... I was so impressed with Cade, Maven, and the B.3 that I ordered a B.2 9X45 that I don't really even need. But I kinda feel like I'd be missing out without giving them a try. 2.2mm more of eye relief should be just the ticket. I wonder how these will compare to the SV 8.5X42?

I only used the Maven 8X30 for one day, true. I do believe they are well worth their $500 asking price especially compared to some of it's competition. Even with this short time I'd recommend the B.3 8X30s PROVIDED you don't wear eyeglasses. They may work for some that do but IMO I won't recommended them for eyeglass wearers.
Nice review. I can tell you enjoy birding and good optics. Too bad the eye relief wasn't quite enough for you with the B.3's. I wonder if there are smaller eye cups available for the B.3? Let us know how the Maven B.2 9x45's compare to your SV 8.5 x42. That should be a real match up. I am interested in how those B.2's perform. The AFOV is really outstanding on them.

Last edited:
Nice review. I can tell you enjoy birding and good optics. Too bad the eye relief wasn't quite enough for you with the B.3's. I wonder if there are smaller eye cups available for the B.3? Let us know how the Maven B.2 9x45's compare to your SV 8.5 x42. That should be a real match up. I am interested in how those B.2's perform. The AFOV is really outstanding on them.

Thanks Dennis, appreciate it. I hate it about the eye relief as well because I really liked these binoculars otherwise. I'm looking forward to getting the 9x45 B.2s.

Of the eight Maven built bins only three would likely have sufficient eye relief for me. Since these are not retailed in the UK, my point is a bit moot, but I would need to check out the one with the next shortest before purchasing.

I have not checked lately but, if my memory serves, Leica is worse - I don't know about Zeiss. Many less expensive binocular makers do not discard the visually impaired, and I suspect do well as a result.

Last edited:
How do the B3's stack up against the 8x32 Euro HD's?

A little explanation...
Over the last three weeks or so I've been hitting the birds pretty hard and have been almost exclusively using a Leica UV HD + 8X42 OR a SV 8X32 so you know what I've been used to using. So my goal was to pick up the B.3 without back to back comparison, just from memory. So optically, I felt like they were excellent and I could have used them all day. A really nice clear, crisp, bright image. Really good color.

But to answer your question....the little bit of direct comparison to the Euro HD....not quite to that level....but you'd never know it without back to back comparison. Optically, I can't imagine someone NOT being satisfied with the B.3.

Of the eight Maven built bins only three would likely have sufficient eye relief for me. Since these are not retailed in the UK, my point is a bit moot, but I would need to check out the one with the next highest before purchasing.

I have not checked lately but, if my memory serves, Leica is worse - I don't know about Zeiss. Many less expensive binocular makers do not discard the visually impaired, and I suspect do well as a result.

I was actually basing the eye relief on the Leica's I have. Eye relief is a strange measurement and it seems it's not measured the same company to company or even within companies.

Haves:(listed ER is of course company supplied)
Leica UV HD + 8X42 15.5mm
Trinovid 10X42 16.0mm
Trinovid 8X42 15.5mm
Maven B.3 8X30 15.5mm

I thought the Mavens would work because the UV HD + works at 15.5mm. But even to me....the Trinovid 10X42 seem to have LESS eye relief than the UV HD + which is just fine. The Trinovid 10X42 are VERY borderline useable with glasses. I have no problem with the Trinovid 8X42s....go figure.:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back