• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angled or straight? (1 Viewer)

PAULBOY

United Kingdom
I am currently looking at a Swaro scope - but can't decide whether to go for the angled or straight model. The angled is better outside a hide [I am 6 feet tall], but inside the eyepiece is too high for me to comfortably see through. A friend says the answer is to swivel the scope to lower the eyepiece. This looks to be a problem because of the design of the Swaro stay on case, and also because of the difficulties of constantly having to change sides to get a 180 degree view. The downside of a straight scope is the height it needs to be for me to see through outside - and the consequent possible lack of stability on high magnification when it's windy.

Any thoughts?

PAULBOY said:
I am currently looking at a Swaro scope - but can't decide whether to go for the angled or straight model. The angled is better outside a hide [I am 6 feet tall], but inside the eyepiece is too high for me to comfortably see through. A friend says the answer is to swivel the scope to lower the eyepiece. This looks to be a problem because of the design of the Swaro stay on case, and also because of the difficulties of constantly having to change sides to get a 180 degree view. The downside of a straight scope is the height it needs to be for me to see through outside - and the consequent possible lack of stability on high magnification when it's windy.

Any thoughts?
Many tripod heads will tilt up to 90 degrees. No need to use the scope to tilt.
Angled are more difficult to find the target, straight, much easier.
I use and prefer angled!.

HTH

get to a shop and try both out and see which you prefer... it really is the only answer. Angled or straight is a very personaly choice and when your talking about spending a good chunk of money you don't want to make the wrong choice. So by all means listen to the advice and the pros and cons of each system, but only you can know which will work for you.

Personally I changed from a staright to an angled a few years ago and would not change back, I find the angled scope much more confortable to use. But like I say each to their own.

I use and prefer angled. The biggest advantage with an angled scope is that it makes it MUCH easier to share the scope among people of varying heights. With just one person using a scope, it does just seem a matter of trying them and seeing which one you like better. However, note that even though finding a target may at first seem harder with an angled scope, you quickly get used to it and it's just about as easy as with a straight one.

You are encountering the main drawback of an angled scope - those occasions when you have to see over an obstacle. I agree that swivelling the scope is a cumbersome idea, and it seems it would make it very hard to find the target, although I suppose you'd get used to that too. Any way to lower the opening in the hide?

My old scope was straight and it was perfect for hide use, and was quick to track birds with. Using it outside a hide though, the only way I could comfortably use it was by sitting or kneeling. Just over a month ago I replaced the scope and went for angled, and can use it in comfort outside hides standing up, and it's easier to attempt to digiscope with. I'm still finding tracking birds with it a little tricky, particularly if they're high up, but that's slowly improving. In a hide it's okay - if theres no one else using them, some hides have lower windows designed for wheelchair use or children and I find these easier.

So basically you need to buy two scopes, one straight for hide use, and angled for elsewhere
:-O

alternatively how much of your birding is done from a hide and how much outside?

The tripod you use does make some difference. My tripod head is a bit too much work, though it does give a steady support. The angled would be more work with my head.

Mickymouse said:
I use my angled scope in hides with no problems, other than not being able to sit on the bench at the same time.

Mick

Me too, and i use my for digiscoping too.

plus the angled makes prolonged viewing more comfotable - important to condiser if you are into wader/gulll and especially seawatching.

Good luck!

Well I'm voting for a straight model. Having said that I think you can get used to either. You don't say if this is your first scope or if you are used to one or the other. Time was when most of the quality scopes available to birders were straight models eg Hertel & Reuss, Nickel Supra, and Optolyth draw tubes and the zoom Bausch and Lomb Discoverer. Nowadays most people go for angled - here in the UK anyway, in America it's the other way round?

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
I changed from a straight to an angled and would go back to a straight if possible.

[/U]Sraight

A straight model maintains the real feel of looking at a bird closer rather than an image of one which is the case with angled. Easier to find birds at first. Easier to use in some hides and when watching from car window. Tend to see closer birds while seawatching as your head is facing forward already. More comfortable as your neck is not permanently cricked.

Angled

Can be easier to watch raptors/flying birds, treetop birds. Easier to sketch birds or use notebook (does anyone bother). One eye looking at ground/dark background. Can be more stable as you don't have to erect the tripod so high.

Another point to consider is not all straight scopes are equal as some have offset prism housings and would not quite as easy as those that appear to follow a central line from objective to eyepiece.

The old angled swaro scope could be something you want to consider as it was easier to aim along the scope because the eyepiece sat much lower on the scope than the new one and it might work better in a hide for you.

It's an interesting question and can only be solved through trying out both types at a good dealer or by asking kindly birders to let you try out their scopes in hides and elsewhere. Being well over six feet tall and with an easily upset neck, I know I simply couldn't manage with a straight scope. I started off with one but soon realised that whenever I used it, I would suffer with neck ache and headaches. The tripod needed to be much more extended, too, leading to less stability. That said, those I see with straight scopes seem to find them perfect. I should think looking up into high trees or the sky would be a problem, though?

I do agree that sighting a bird might initially be easier using a straight through but I'm sure this is something that is soon overcome. Certainly, the vast majority of scopes I see are angled and there must be a reason for this. Also, the resale value of angled scopes is undoubtedly higher - not that you're likely to be selling yours for a good few years if ever.

dipped said:
The old angled swaro scope could be something you want to consider as it was easier to aim along the scope because the eyepiece sat much lower on the scope than the new one and it might work better in a hide for you.
I agree - and the same applies IMO to the Leica Televid 77. The old AT80HDs have been for sale at almost ridiculous prices, and it is optically very, very close to the new ATS80HD.

Ilkka

ps. See the links at the bottom of the page to the "Similar threads" about "Straight or Angled"-subject :t:.

dipped said:
Angled

Easier to sketch birds or use notebook (does anyone bother)

Yes!

Angled for me every time. I find angled scopes easier to use than straight through ones, one reason being that I don't have to set the tripod up so high to look through the scope in comfort.

I'm voting straight as well.

I use angled now and would like a straight one because most of my birding is done from hides, i sometimes find the angled scope too high for viewing through with certain windows and shelf heights.

Plus I could live with a straight out side the hide and it has been suggested that a straight gets light through it quicker when digiscoping apposed to a angled.

Which goes to show that it depends on where you intend to do most of your birding. I bird mostly in rain forest, where an angled scope comes in handy. Plus, my wife is over a foot shorter than me, an angled scope is easier to use for both of us.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back