• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

John,

Duck numbers were more or less as yesterday but Cormorant numbers were building steadily and several hundred large gulls were moving SE to NW.

Alan

cheers for that Al, its important and interesting that we monitor any migration/hard weather movement, to gauge the importance of the site.
B :)John

John,

Duck numbers were more or less as yesterday but Cormorant numbers were building steadily and several hundred large gulls were moving SE to NW.

Alan

Cheers Alan - think this is the first record of Cormorant this month; any ideas on numbers?

Woodcock and Nuthatch over the weekend take the year list to 85. Think both Middleton Lakes and Belvide are on 99. Even Grimley is on 87!

Last edited:
Cheers Alan - think this is the first record of Cormorant this month; any ideas on numbers?

Woodcock and Nuthatch over the weekend take the year list to 85. Think both Middleton Lakes and Belvide are on 99. Even Grimley is on 87!

Maybe even though the Flashes is relatively quiet most winters, 6 weeks in-action at the beginning of the year (due to no hide) does make a difference.
B :) we'll be back.

I've seen several flyover Cormorants this month including at least 2 over the weekend - forgot to put them in the book (Oops!)

Suppression?!

Dave - given the increasing size of the Greylag flock, you had ask on Saturday what the record occurrence was. It was 34 on the 19th December 2010 on ice at the Sailing Pool.

Maybe even though the Flashes is relatively quiet most winters, 6 weeks in-action at the beginning of the year (due to no hide) does make a difference.
B :) we'll be back.

Last year the reserve's year list stood at 97 by the end of February. At bit of catching up to do. Now where's that Smew??

I've no idea what the total number of different birders would be that visit Upton in an average winter week but bet it's considerably more than Grimley which is no more than five.

Brian

Just shows what Grimley could turn up if it had greater coverage and somewhere to get out of the rain. What you need is a hide; I know where one is going cheap ;)

Phil,

There were 9 or 10 when I left including a white headed individual. Will check my photo's to see if gular pouch indicates sinensis sub-species.

Alan

Talk of relative species counts (vs last year) just makes one wonder how many have slipped through the net during the enforced Flashes fiasco.

Talk of relative species counts (vs last year) just makes one wonder how many have slipped through the net during the enforced Flashes fiasco.

This has certainly got to be a factor if you look at what we havent recorded so far this year:

Goldeneye (usually on the Moors), Barnacle Goose (where ever the geese flock is), any owl species (probably the Flashes has more sightings), Stonechat (often in the Flashes reedbeds), Dunlin / Redshank / Oystercatcher (cold weather movements, best at the Flashes), Red Kite (no pattern), Bittern (Moors Pool), Cetti's Warbler (more frequent at the Moors Pool)

new hide

I understand that the builders expect to finish the new UW hide on wednesday and the trust does not expect any problems with getting it approved. certainly they say this on their facebook page.B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back