• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 bugs and a nymph...help please (1 Viewer)

gillian

Can anyone help ID these for me please? The green sided fly was on Mull the other two were in Norfolk.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5118 bug.jpg
    IMG_5118 bug.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6310 bug.jpg
    IMG_6310 bug.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6296 nymph.jpg
    IMG_6296 nymph.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 45
First is a species of sawfly (Hymenopteran not a true fly), then Dark Bush-cricket nymph + finally a hawker dragonfly nymph.

The abdomen pattern is most important for Rhogogaster species, so it is very lucky that you found it with missing wings (not so lucky for the sawfly, mind you). Certainly viridis is one of the few species with a black central abdomen, and it occurs throughout. It may be the only UK species like this.

I'm no expert but from what I understand, the green pterostigma are more likely to make it a Rhogogaster (correct spelling) than a Tenthredo - but please correct me if that's not the case.
Martin

I'm no expert but from what I understand, the green pterostigma are more likely to make it a Rhogogaster (correct spelling) than a Tenthredo - but please correct me if that's not the case.
Martin

More likely yes but that is because the green "Tenthredo" with black pterostigma (mesomelas) is common and widespread while its close congeners with green pterostigma are scarce and predominantly northern.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back