Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is there a "bird safe" weed killer?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 10:06   #1
BarryH

Is there a "bird safe" weed killer?

I feed my garden birds on paving slabs that are set in pebbles, now the seed that gets around the slabs is starting to grow.

I've been weeding the area for the last month or so but now the weeds are growing quicker and it would be a full time job pulling them out.

Does anyone know if there is a "bird safe" weed killer I could put on to the weeds that are growing to keep them under control?
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 12:18   #2
Quercus
homo sarkensis

I think any of the non persistant glyphosate based (Round -up etc)weedkillers are fine.... from memory they say that they are safe for animals and children when dry. Ask at a good garden centre... read the instructions.. if in doubt don't use.. if you do it on a warm dry day and scare off the birds until it dries off.

Otherwise garden centres (or internet suppliers) sell blow torches for burning off weeds.. they don't get down to the roots.. but they're fun to use and burn the tops off!
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 12:23   #3
BarryH

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look in my local garden centre.

A blow torch might be fun though

Last edited by BarryH : Tuesday 27th April 2010 at 12:25.
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 16:14   #4
Quercus
homo sarkensis

Toys for boys.. and pyramaniac girls!

http://www.hirecentres.com/index.php...product&id=166
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: