• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BAER'S POCHARD at Bueng Borophet (1 Viewer)

I visited Bueng Borophet this morning and managed to see THREE Baer's Pochards!

We had an extremely low level of rainfall during the last wet season and Thailand's central plains are now gasping for water. I have heard from a couple of other expat birders that there are plans to drain water from Bueng Borophet to keep the farmers happy, and this will make the lake inaccessible by boat during February, so if anybody is planning to visit Thailand and wants to see these birds you'd better get here fast!

Attachments

• DSC_1854.jpg
    DSC_1854.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 60
Discussions that have taken place since my visit to Bueng Borophet in mid-January are now suggesting that the drakes and possibly also the female are actually HYBRIDS! Images have been submitted today to a number of people with extensive experience of Baer's Pochard and potentially confusing hybrids, so it remains to be seen exactly what they are.

However images have been posted this evening of what appears to be a pure drake Baer's Pochard at Chiang Saen. Seen this afternoon from the non-hunting area.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back