• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Piping Plovers banded in Canada RFI (1 Viewer)

Mark B Bartosik

Hi All,

As I only have interest in Piping Plovers during last few years I lost hope that I ever find one banded in Canada. According to published paper they banded pipers from 2002 to 2006 using black and white flags. I could not find any in Texas despite that birds from Canada, again according to the paper, are wintering in Texas in large numbers. I assume that they stopped banding those birds in Canada?

So if the last piper was banded there in 2006 it means that in 2017 one banded as chick in 2006 would be 11 years old (12 cy) and one banded in 2002 as adult would be at least 16 years old (17 cy or older).

As I found several old pipers (one 11cy+, one 11cy, three 9cy+ and two 9cy) in last few years it still was bothering me why all Canadian birds are already gone.

Finally I think I found one with black flag. I am waiting for bander confirmation.

In mean time I would like to hear from you if any Canadian pipers were seen in recent years. When did you see last one? They banded large number of pipers so I hope some might still be alive.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Best regards,

Mark

It seems that Piping Plovers do not get much attention from people here - I never got responses when I asked question about them.

So just shortly - this Canadian fellow is just a couple days shy of being 12 years and 5 months old (13 cy) - banded as chick in 2005. Not a worldwide record for longevity but still close in the top and a record for me as my two oldest pipers were: one at least 11cy (banded as adult so maybe older but we will never know) and one 11cy. It seem that he went under the radar for last 10 years, BTW lost one color band so I was right trying to get a metal number - quite a lot of effort as the band was quite corroded.

Looks like this is going to be a real great year - I also got my 8th Great Lakes PIPL lately; only a very few were found in Texas before.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back