• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

alpha alpha (2 Viewers)

black crow

Nikon WX 10x50 IF and WX7x50

I don't think I've ever heard these guys mentioned when the discussion goes to the best of the best. What's wrong with them?

What makes a binocular worth around $6300?

BTW I know they are not currently available.

I don't think I've ever heard these guys mentioned when the discussion goes to the best of the best. What's wrong with them?

https://www.allbinos.com/328-binoculars_review-Nikon_WX_10x50_IF.html
Scroll down and see how its size compares to an ordinary 10x50, an instrument rarely used by birders nowadays due to its weight and size, both of which appear very modest compared to a WX. I cant see myself carrying around a binocular this size.
Re what's wrong with them? Not much else. They're arguably the finest binoculars ever made.

//L

These came out to market the 100th Anniversary of Nikon in 2017 I think, and I believe they belong on a tripod, not to be handheld while Birding, (although the image of one carrying one around birding is funny). A few folks have them primarily for astronomy but also used for terrestrial viewing but again on a tripod. On the optimistic side, perhaps some of the technology will be inserted into a more economical, new commercial binocular.

A.W.

"What makes a binocular worth around $6300?"

Possibly, an honest answer to this could get someone in trouble. :cat:

Bill

https://www.allbinos.com/328-binoculars_review-Nikon_WX_10x50_IF.html
Scroll down and see how its size compares to an ordinary 10x50, an instrument rarely used by birders nowadays due to its weight and size, both of which appear very modest compared to a WX. I cant see myself carrying around a binocular this size.
Re what's wrong with them? Not much else. They're arguably the finest binoculars ever made.

//L

LoL I think you can carry them.

First observations during daytime confirm that both binoculars may well be used in handheld mode. Standing freely and unsupported, I have no problems using them over a few minutes to scan the landscape, without any excessive fatigue of the arms.

Talk about a wide fov. Probably makes the Nikon eii look like a keyhole.

A person comparing an “ALPHA” binocular made today with an “ALPHA” binocular made 15 years ago may talk about the “wider field” without wanting to (or even noticing) the field starts getting soft the SAME DISTANCE OFF AXIS and that perhaps the only difference is in that the field stop has been opened up a bit. Most people fail (or refuse) to note that an objective lens has the ability to form an image ~155 – 170 degrees wide and that it’s only the amount of aberrations the OEM thinks will sell, or a rationally designed eyepiece will accommodate (taking the human eye into consideration) that restricts the field.

In addition, he or she may come up with any number of improvements (to their mind) without noticing that some things which might be inconsequential to them, might drive other observers nuts. And even if enough money were spent on the new product, there would still be enough physical differences to make any comparison like stacking BBs.

Talk is cheap. And while it may make a given observer ecstatic, it is doubtful any university lab in the country could quantify the difference to the “average” observer! The test case I fall back on relates to image brightness being related strictly to better AR coatings.

Comparing a binocular with magnesium fluoride coatings on all glass-to-air surfaces to the same instrument with today’s multi-coatings, an observer may experience an increase in light transmission of 13% or slightly more. But when comparing the multi-coatings of two leading manufacturers the difference is so small as to be inconsequential. Frequently, when an observer suggests one manufacturer’s coatings are “noticeably” superior to those of another brand of similar quality, the difference he or she is seeing probably relates more to baffling, prism shields, edge blackening, size and position of the field stop, knife-edge on that stop, prism type, slotted prisms (in Porro prism instruments), smoothness of surfaces, configuration of the eyepiece, and other considerations than coatings alone.

Those are just 9 examples; I’m sure there are plenty more. And then, when you throw in the differences in the individual’s physiological situation—strabismus, cataracts, early onset glaucoma, macular pucker, retinal scaring, etc.—it can make those comparison virtually useless. It’s not that advertised improvements have not been made. It’s just that tiny “improvements” made in a computer printout are essentially never “proven” AT THE EYEPIECE, which is the only place it really counts.

It is often said that “insanity” is repeatedly do the same thing and expecting difference results. Thus, considering the number of times I have approached this subject over the last couple of decades, I will be glad to accept my insanity, as I will the next time the topic comes up—a few minutes or another thread distant. Ah, but sometimes the bar is silently raised.

Twenty years ago, I was swimming against the current to say, Bushnell, Celestron, Meade, Minolta, Orion, Swift, Oberwerk, and others didn’t MAKE binoculars. Today, it’s accepted except by the newbie’s newbie. Thus, I am encouraged with the battle of the “ALPHA” comparisons. I am out of the business and have more than enough binos to do me the rest of my life without needing to buy another. I just want to ratchet up the thought glands in my interested neighbor. I’m not stamping my foot or looking down my nose at those who choose not to believe. Rather, I’m just trying to offer some cranial options. :cat:

Bill

Peter, post 15.

The 20x60S is probably the best hand held binocular one can buy, if one is looking for fine resolution.
But the user must be strong, as it is heavy and not without problems.

Are the Zeiss 20x60S and Nikon WX worth the money?
Certainly, if that is what someone wants to buy and they have the money.

They are cheaper than most cars and cheaper than the money some people waste on booze or cigarettes.

Compared to some military optics they are bargain basement price.

Of course there are much cheaper good binoculars.

We veer here very close to the nexus between 'need' and 'want.'
If we all considered what we 'need' binoculars for (generally assumed, because of the web forum's title, to be birding) we'd buy a good one that fulfilled around 80-90% of our requirements. Yeah, there will be slight failings, but there is in everything.
Perhaps we have another specific 'need' (e.g. astronomy) for which we need something completely different - again, with another set of failings, but ones we can live with.
However, sometimes you just 'want' a set of bins - perhaps the 'need' has already been fulfilled, but there is just something about this particular set that calls out to you....and yup, they'll have failings too, including perhaps the price.
At what price point 'want' has to be killed as 'need' can't be justified is down to the individual; however, at $6000 dollars, i'd have to have 'need' and 'want' in spades!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back