• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The best insurance (1 Viewer)

psilo

After my recent accident where my photographic equiptment got damaged and i wasnt insured I have decided to look for better insurance. IM not sure where the best place is for this and couldnt find the thread that was already discussing this so please forgive any repetition.
I am buying the canon 500mml f4 and need cover for accidental damage and theft in and away from the home. The best price I have been quoted is £400. Does anyone know where to get the best insurance for this purpose?
Many thanks.

Hi Psilo

Just a thought - have you tried adding them to your Household insurance policy as named items. Usually a much cheaper way to go.

D

Thankyou Delia. This is what I did do, hence the total above. :)

It would seem that it is cheaper to insure my car than my lens and my car is worth more! ?

I was sorry to hear of you unfortunate incident with the camera - I know how it feels having written off a camera earlier in the year. Luckily for me I had mine covered as a named item on my home insurance, covered me for accidental damage and theft both at home and when out in the field. So I'd recommend contacting your home insurer and seeing what it would cost to add the camera to your existing policy - I add my camera and lens (total value of £3000) and there was no additional charge.

There is a new section on the forum about insurance, which is proably why you couldn't find the threads (they've been moved) - http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=478

Hi Postcard
Thanks for that. IT got me to thinking that I had got the wrong end of the stick and so I rang my home insurance company and it seems that actually my insurance is only £50 extra to what i am already paying. So that is a great relief!
Now when i get my lens I will be covered for accidental damage and theft in the home and away.Now I will be able to photograph those snipe with out jumping the wier ;)

psilo said:
Now when i get my lens I will be covered for accidental damage and theft in the home and away.Now I will be able to photograph those snipe with out jumping the wier ;)

Glad to hear it.

Hope you get your new kit soon - we're looking forward to seeing lots of excellent photos.

psilo said:
Thankyou Delia. This is what I did do, hence the total above. :)

It would seem that it is cheaper to insure my car than my lens and my car is worth more! ?

Golly gosh - that's a rip off. Like Postie don't think it cost me any extra to add my Laptop, digi camera and Leica scope or maybe just a little. I'll see if I can find the details later.

D

Edit: Ah! see you got it sorted. What a relief for you.

Last edited:
Yes delia, seeing that postie didnt pay any extra got me thinking i must have got it wrong. A relief indeed!!

Thanks postie, heres hoping for some decent photo too lol

psilo said:
Yes delia, seeing that postie didnt pay any extra got me thinking i must have got it wrong. A relief indeed!!

Thanks postie, heres hoping for some decent photo too lol

Well you will go diving into duck ponds! Heehee best staying on dry land it saves all the insurance red tape!

Just a thing it might be worth checking on, a few years ago when we visited the Abenethy Forest, Scottish Highlands. Our locked, alarmed car was broken into and a camera bag with about £800 worth of cameras and equipment were taken.

On checking our Car insurance policy we were only insured for £150 approx of contents so we just claimed for the repairs to the damage that they had done to the door and lock. Luckily Ian pays into an insurance scheme at work which cover for travel etc on checking this we were covered for the items in the vehicle.

It is best checking the limit of the contents coverage on you car and of course that if you have paid extra on your house insurance that it does cover you whilst it is locked in the vehicle.

We made enquiries soon after and now have it as part of our household insurance and it is covered home, away and in transit.

jdbirdman said:
Well you will go diving into duck ponds! Heehee best staying on dry land it saves all the insurance red tape!

Well you know me John I never take the easy route ;)

Thanks for that Marmot. In fact the house insurance now covers equiptment for theft and accidental damage away from and in the home for any items up to £750 unitemised.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back