• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to bird 'round Burlington, plus (1 Viewer)

birderbf

Wild, Wild West ................... ern Spindalis
The first post in this forum! Hopefully there is someone out there who knows and can recommend a place to go birding around burlington? Apparently I hear Moose Bog is the closest place to go for boreal species. What can be found at Dead Creek, besides tons of Snow Geese?

When are you going to be in the Burlington area? Ive got alot of info depending on the season and your specific hopes, i.e. shorebirds, waterfowl, warblers ect...

steveo said:
When are you going to be in the Burlington area? Ive got alot of info depending on the season and your specific hopes, i.e. shorebirds, waterfowl, warblers ect...
July is the month I'll be there. I hope to see Bicknell's Thrush (apparently good location just a few miles north of Burlington. I was also hoping for boreal species (Crossbills, summer winter finches?, gray jay, three-toed and black-backed woodpecker, yellow-bellied flycatcher, broad-winged hawk), but so far the only location I can find mentioned is Moose Bog, on the other side of the state. There must be a boreal patch cloeser to Burlington? (I have just put in an order for "Birdwatching in Vermont", which should clear this up just in case anyone can't).

Also I have friends who live in Addison by the Dead Creek WMA. I have seen the giant flock of Snow Geese, but what else is there? national Goegrpahic's (general!) Guide to the Eastern U.S. mentions Upland Sandpiper, Bobolink and Vesper Sparrow (the latter I think I've seen in their yard). Are these possible, or more than likely? Anything else of interest?

Thanks,

Great call on ordering Birdwatching in Vermont it is a great book with tons of info on all of these subjucts and more. Bicknell's thrush is on Mount Mansfield(Stowe Mountain Resort) tough to locate but if you get up there early and watch the tops of the short pines one just might find you. You can hike up one of many trails or drive up on the toal road. Bobolinks seem very common in the grass fields in stowe. Broad winged hawks nest behind the Green Mountain Inn Mansfield House above the back parking lot in the tall pines. I'll post anything good from the upcoming spring/summer here. Good luck

steveo said:
Great call on ordering Birdwatching in Vermont it is a great book with tons of info on all of these subjucts and more. Bicknell's thrush is on Mount Mansfield(Stowe Mountain Resort) tough to locate but if you get up there early and watch the tops of the short pines one just might find you. You can hike up one of many trails or drive up on the toal road. Bobolinks seem very common in the grass fields in stowe. Broad winged hawks nest behind the Green Mountain Inn Mansfield House above the back parking lot in the tall pines. I'll post anything good from the upcoming spring/summer here. Good luck

It looks like all the North American thrushes might breed at the Bicknell's spot, save Gray-cheeked. I remmeber reading somewhere that they al have different elevation preferences though; wood thrush in the lowlands, veery a little farther up, then hermit, then swainson's, then Bicknell's. Do you have any personal experience, Steveo, of this species? Any good way to separate it from other thrushes at a glance if it isn't singing. It will be singing in July, right? I really hope it will! :h?:

I just received the book. After a brief overview, I got the impression that the only chance at seeing boreal birds is either the NW Kingdom or the green mountains. Any possible sites in the Champlaign valley? Or nearby?

I've now heard that the amherst trail above 3000 feet is a good spot for bicknell's. I'm gonna search them out before july I'll give you a report.

I really figured that I would see more thread in the Vermont list, since according to an official survey of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Servive, Vermont is the no. 1 birder state.
But then I suppose that more people are actually birding then looking thru BirdForum forums, huh?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back