• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth ID help, Cornwall, UK (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

Here a few moths that I'm struggling to ID in my guides, Hoping someone could help. I've had a go at most of them, but not confident.

1 - Udea prunalis?

2 - Heart and Dart (the size difference is puzzling me! Making me think one, both or neither are)

3 - Dwarf Cream Wave? I was hoping for Isle of Wight Wave, but the guide says former resident - presumed extinct... It has a very distinctive dark streak on the leading edge though not just at the base, so I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgeable.

4 - No idea on this one, thumbed every page in micro/macro guides, probably flicked past it a few times!

5 - Really struggling with this, I think I've convinced myself it's every Beauty in the guide at some stage, but now I'm going with Mottled or Great Oak Beauty.

Any help would be great,

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_8945.jpg
    IMG_8945.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8917.jpg
    IMG_8917.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010617.JPG
    P1010617.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010748.JPG
    P1010748.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020509_1200x1200.jpg
    P1020509_1200x1200.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 121
Yes I did think that at one point, as I have had many of them in my trap, this one just looked a bit different to the others. I’ll leave it in the “unidentified” file for meantime along with the rest!

Thanks Rosaria.

Some more from the last week

Hi,

I could do with some help on these please - if anyone can. My guesses so far -

1) Is this a Clay or White-point, or something else?

2) Common Rustic?

3) Knot Grass?

4) Wormwood Pug?

5) Ingrailed Clay?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Attachments

• Clay Whitepoint.jpg
    Clay Whitepoint.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Common Rustic.JPG
    Common Rustic.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Knot Grass.JPG
    Knot Grass.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Wormwood.JPG
    Wormwood.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P1020450.jpg
    P1020450.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Andy, I was fortunate enough to bump into a county moth recorder today who helped ID them, he said 1 was a Clay, and all the others were correct other than the Common Rustic which would need dissection for confirmation.

Thanks

Thanks Andy, I was fortunate enough to bump into a county moth recorder today who helped ID them, he said 1 was a Clay, and all the others were correct other than the Common Rustic which would need dissection for confirmation.

Thanks

If you have a clear pot, put the Clay in it so youi can see it's underparts, the greatest % of my catch are females which have a diagnostic, dark chevron on the belly.

A

Andy

It is males that have the black band on the belly and it is shown by White-point as well so it is not a distinct nguishing feature.

All the best

Day flyer ID

If you have a clear pot, put the Clay in it so youi can see it's underparts, the greatest % of my catch are females which have a diagnostic, dark chevron on the belly.

A

Thanks, I've just ordered some clear pots which should make things easier. Is this Lempke's Gold Spot or Gold Spot? I can't decide. The colour points towards Lempke's, or is that not enough for positive ID? In that case in the unidentifiable folder it goes with the rest!

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• P1030223.JPG
    P1030223.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 22
A

As Paul has said, it's the males that have the black mark. It is actually the moth's hair pencils, used to distribute pheromones. The underside of the hindwing is also covered in reflective (shiny) gold or silver scales. Both features of the subgenus Hyphilare.

Thanks, I've just ordered some clear pots which should make things easier. Is this Lempke's Gold Spot or Gold Spot? I can't decide. The colour points towards Lempke's, or is that not enough for positive ID? In that case in the unidentifiable folder it goes with the rest!
Cheers,
Tom

The distinguishing feature is the length and shape of the lower white/silver mark on the forewing apex. Not clear enough (for me) in this photo.
Martin

Help again please

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with this one? Just finished a night shift and found this in the trap. I thought “this looks interesting, I’ll stay awake a little longer, should be able to ID it straight away” An hour later I’m still sat here....

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• 72C87311-BDD6-4738-B423-7E814B4DBFEA.jpg
    72C87311-BDD6-4738-B423-7E814B4DBFEA.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back