• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (5 Viewers)

Mexican Chickadee in Miller Canyon? My understanding is that there are no records of this species in Arizona away from the Chiricahuas?

Mexican Chickadee in Miller Canyon? My understanding is that there are no records of this species in Arizona away from the Chiricahuas?

Thanks Morgan. After checking vids on t'web for an hour or so - the bird I saw was a totally different grey, dirtier looking and not so 'cold', had a smaller bib and a proportionally heavier bill so was probably a Mountain. Don't know how I missed the supercillium. Off to the Chiricahua's later so, with a bit of luck, I'll get a 'real' one. :t:

After the scrubbing of Mexican Chickadee from my list yesterdays addition of both LeConte's Thrasher andBotteri's Sparrow at Salome Hwy., Tombstone cheered me up no end. :t:

My last 3 days in Arizona netted me Elegant Trogon, at Madera Canyon and California Condor and Juniper Titmouse at the Grand Canyon. I knew Arizona was special, but I don't think any other state could have provided so many 'lifers' as I've had here.

This doesn't happen very often.... but four lifers added to my list last week! Had a trip to Norway and Finland for some client meetings.

In Norway, I managed an hour at Fetsund, just east of Oslo, on the way back to the airport, and added:

438. Lesser spotted woodpecker

Than, the next day, I was in Finland and got up early and headed to Viikki Nature Reserve, north-east of Helsinki, and was amazed to add three lifers:

439. Garganey (an embarassing omission to far!)
440. Lesser whitethroat (ditto!)
441. Caspian tern

Two lifers on the Magee Marsh boardwalk this past Tuesday. A very out of place Henslow's Sparrow (one of my major targets this summer that I wasn't expecting to pick up here!) and a somewhat more expected Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, completing my ABA Empidonax list. Was hoping for a Connecticut Warbler, but none made an appearance near Magee Marsh during the few days I was there.

I haven't really been out looking much but during a holiday in North Norfolk last week I saw two Temminck's Stints at Cley Marshes, though very distant and if it hadn't been for the people with scopes who pointed them out I'd not have had a clue what they were (many of the waders just look the same to me!). I think they're supposed to be fairly rare as quite a bit of talk about them so it was kinda nice to see them but they were very distant so it was hard to work up much enthusiasm - I was far more taken with watching the antics of the Little Ringed Plovers, which were a delight, and the Avocets.

Had a similar experience when was on holiday there a few years ago and someone pointed out a Pectoral Sandpiper - it was just a heat-hazy little backlit blob! Admittedly amazing that people can ID birds like that in those conditions and great that they share their findings with other people (interesting to know such birds are there), but given the choice I'd rather have a decent view of a common bird showing some nice behaviour, like the Redshanks which were causing a ruckus on Friday at Cley.

Last edited:
and...

it's been a while...

But I put up a bird feeder and was inundated by Pine Siskins. I am ashamed to say that I have gone through both the National Geographic and Sibley's guides and never noticed this specie, but was always distracted by high profile goldfinch featured so close by.

So a common bird that was unknown to me.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back