• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (2 Viewers)

nepp

Norma P; Northern Ireland
A thread for Northern Ireland birders to share their favourite sites and the birds they see. You are welcome to post your messages here.

Lough Neagh at Oxford Island
Last Sunday our bird group visited the reserve on the South side of Lough Neagh near Lurgan....shallow freshwater and good for ducks. It was cool, windy and overcast. The lough is rather exposed so you need to wear lots of layers. There is mixed woodland on the reserve so plenty of opportunity to see smaller birds.

Here's a list of our spottings:
little grebe
great crested grebe
Cormorant
grey heron
mute swan
gadwall
teal
mallard
tufted duck
pochard
goldeneye
ruddy duck
common buzzard
moorhen
coot
golden plover
lapwing
curlew
black headed gull
common gull
lesser black backed gull
great black backed gull
collared dove
meadow pipit
pied wagtail
wren
robin
dunnock
blackbird
goldcrest
long tailed tit
great tit
jay
magpie
jackdaw
rook
hooded crow
starling
chaffinch
goldfinch
bullfinch

Last edited:
good list!
any highlights or lifers for you?
how many hours to see this lot?
how many members in your group?
how many more questions can i ask?

Lough Neagh

ampersand said:
good list!
any highlights or lifers for you?
how many hours to see this lot?
how many members in your group?
how many more questions can i ask?

I am coming back to birdwatching after a long time away so these outings are refreshing my memory. I was never very good at ducks but hopefully the next time I see the list above I'll remember what they are.
We didn't see any male goldeneye and decided they could be in eclipse and were too far away to identify easily.
I always love to see goldfinch and bullfinch. The bullfinch are so hard to spot..you have to be quick.
There are about 13 members in the group and we spent about 5 hours at Oxford Island.
Have you been anywhere yourself recently?

Norma

Hi Norma,

while not strictly Northern Ireland, I was at Burt, County Donegal last weekend, looking for wildfowl, and in the fields between Burt chapel and Burnfoot I saw the following:

Whooper Swan 800+ including 100+ juvs
Bewick's Swan 4
Greylag Goose 300+
White-fronted Goose 30
Barnacle Goose 7
Canada Goose 90-120

I also had a nice view of a Sparrowhawk chasing but missing a Meadow Pipit and of a Buzzard being mobbed by Rooks, Jackdaws and Magpies as it fed on carrion in a field.

Rgds Roger

Roger&out said:
Hi Norma,

while not strictly Northern Ireland, I was at Burt, County Donegal last weekend, looking for wildfowl, and in the fields between Burt chapel and Burnfoot I saw the following:

Whooper Swan 800+ including 100+ juvs
Bewick's Swan 4
Greylag Goose 300+
White-fronted Goose 30
Barnacle Goose 7
Canada Goose 90-120

I also had a nice view of a Sparrowhawk chasing but missing a Meadow Pipit and of a Buzzard being mobbed by Rooks, Jackdaws and Magpies as it fed on carrion in a field.

Rgds Roger

Hi Roger

It is interestng to have the numbers. How on earth do you count them?
Where is Burt? I am interested in the White-fronted goose. Have you seen them there before? Are the numbers steady or decreasing compared with last year ?

Now that's 4 questions I have asked you!!

Norma

nepp said:
Hi Roger

It is interestng to have the numbers. How on earth do you count them?
Where is Burt? I am interested in the White-fronted goose. Have you seen them there before? Are the numbers steady or decreasing compared with last year ?

Now that's 4 questions I have asked you!!

Norma
Hi Norma,

the answers in the order asked:
1. I guestimate by counting 20 or so and then multiplying across the rest, allowing for fluctuations in density, it gives an approxiamation.
2. Go from Derry towards Buncrana, but at Bridgend, where all the petrol stations are, turn towards Letterkenny and after a couple of miles you will come to Burt chapel, a very distinctive round building. You see over the fields that hold the wildfowl, down to your right.
3. The Whitefronts are there every year but you also get them on the East shore of Lough Foyle, nearer to you. The RSPB are having an open day at their Lough Foyle Reserve on Saturday 13th November, you should be able to see them there.
4. I am not sure about the number trends simply because the birds are spread out over a number of fields and while I tend to count what I see, I am not systematic in trying to cover all the flocks in the area. My impression is that the number are fairly stable allowing for annual fluctuations.

Hope these answers are helpful, don't be afraid to ask more,and I will try to answer them.

Rgds Roger

Strangford Lough NE and NW

I'm just back from an 3 hour exploration - intermittent drizzle which cleared. Mild.

Island Hill between Newtownards and Comber
Tide was well in but the Brent geese were feeding voraciously on the edge of the shore .
Driving inland back to the main road I stopped between fallow potato fields and hedges.
Greenfinch 3
Goldfinch 20
House sparrow 50
Tree sparrow 20
Curlew 2
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Starling

At Kiltonga freshwater lakes outside Newtownards on Old Belfast Rd
Gadwall 40
Mallard 50
Shoveler 3
Pochard 2
Coot
Moorhen

At The Maltings - (from Newtownards go 2 miles towards Portaferry)
Brent goose 2000
shelduck 10
Mallard 5
Pintail 200
Eider 100

The Brent geese were so close to me I could have photographed them without any extra magnification ...but needless to say...no camera with me.

Norma

Strangford Lough SW and W

Quoile pondage reserve outside Downpatrick on Sunday 31st October I saw
pochard 2
wigeon 200
little grebe 6
shoveller 4
goldeneye 4
greylag (feral?)
lapwing
heron
cormorant
mute swan
whooper swan
teal
mallard
gadwall

Crossed over on the Strangford ferry to Portaferry and drove up the beautiful, quiet, minor coast road which has little traffic. The lough comes in to the shore near the road in many places and each spot presents a different view.
Oystercatcher
shag
Gt black backed gull
robin
meadow pipit
goldfinch
starling
jackdaw
rook

snipe 10
curlew
golden plover
turnstone
redshank
lapwing
Black headed gull

Ballyreagh (The Maltings)
pale bellied brent goose 1000
shelduck - raft
pintail

i too visited island hill (between comber and n'ards) today. i had 15mins. i saw:

brent geese 200+
oystercatchers 20+
curlews about a dozen
cormorant
little grebe
great crested grebe
redshank 5
black headed gulls loads
lesser black backed gull (i think? - not very good with gulls)
pied wagtail
rook
hooded crows
jackdaws
magpies

and a very nice wee spot it was too!

@

Carrickfergus & Strangford Lough

On Sunday last our bird group went off to Carrickfergus Golf Club because the grapevine had told us about Waxwings. Sure enough, whilst standing on the first tee, we spotted about 100 in the poplar trees making forays down to the cotoneaster bushes below to gorge on the berries. We were so busy looking through the scopes at their beautiful markings and crests that we didn't realise we were holding up the fourballs!! Apologetically we shifted sideways..and heard the golfers muttering "what are they looking at...sure those are only starlings?". So we were delighted to let the waxwings hold up play while the golfers peered into the telepscopes.

Then to Fisherman's Quay in Carrickfergus where there were already a few people out with scopes studying the water.
Close to our cars were turnstone, redwing, oystercatcher, rock pipit, meadow pipit,
Out in the water but not too far away were eider duck (10), great crested grebe, merganser, black guillemot (1), and best of all a male Long Tailed duck! We had a long look - not very far from the quay. Tail fully up - heading west at a leisurely pace. The sea was fairly smooth so there was no problem in spotting him. A first for me.

Next stop to Whitehouse Lagoon - tide was semi out. Black tailed godwit (6), redshank, Shelduck, mallard, curlew 4, red breasted merganser 4, lapwing - many; turnstone; greater Black Backed gull, lesser BB gull, jackdaw.

Then to Strangford Lough East coast - just outside Newtownards at Ballyreagh car park.Dunlin; knot; shelduck 500+; brent goose (pale bellied 1000+; pintail 200+; lapwing; golden plover 1000+; hooded crow.
Watching the pintail so closely was rather special. It's hard to believe we have such beautiful birds on our own shores.

Further on down the coast - just past Greyabbey and then on to Kircubbin we saw
heron; kestrel; greenshank 1; dunlin; knot; gulls of the ordinary sort; guillemot 1; razorbill 1; speciality of the area - 8 Slavonian grebe. Did you know that they have a white speculum against a black wing? Easy to see when they stretch out on the water.

Has anyone else been out this week? I have seen lots of reports of fieldfare in England....none have come my way yet. Has anyone seen them in Ireland this season?

Watch this space for next Sunday's outing!

Norma

waxwings, ring billed gull and other rarities

Antrim Yesterday saw 11 of us driving in 3 cars to Antrim to track down the new flock of waxwings reported there. Eventually found them at the entrance to the Antrim Forum in the large trees by the entrance. Flock of about 50 with plenty of cotoneaster and other berries to feed on. They are such beautiful birds aren't they?

Ballynure by the river we saw a grey wagtail down in the river by the rocks and 2 goldfinch tirelessly working the trees.

Carrickfergus Fisherman's Quay brought long tailed ducks; turnstone, redshank, oystercatcher, dunlin, ringed plover, eider.

The harbour at Carrickfergus has an American Ring Billed Gull. Hard for a beginner to spot amongst the Common gulls. The bright yellow eye is one difference and a smaller white horseshoe shape on the tertials. If you can examine the bright yellow bill you'll see it is much larger than the bill on the similar Common gull. Top marks for the spotless public toilets at the harbour!

RSPB Reserve Belfast lough
Ruff x 2, curlew, bartailed godwit, shelduck, teal, wigeon, snipe, golden plover, lapwing, heron, mediterranean gull (2nd winter), redshank, greylag goose (from Victoria Pk), moorhen.

the river by the sewage works at the Tillysburn end of Heron Road on the Harbour Industrial Estate.
Goosander x 1, stonechat x 3, ringed plover, sparrow hawk, redshank, oystercatcher, pied wagtail, gulls, little grebe.

By the time we'd finished the light was fading and the wind getting up. The warmth of the car was a welcome relief from the afternoon chill.

Has anyone else been out? Where have you been and what did you see?

Norma

nepp said:
Has anyone else been out this week? I have seen lots of reports of fieldfare in England....none have come my way yet. Has anyone seen them in Ireland this season?

Watch this space for next Sunday's outing!

Norma

Hi Norma
I was out this weekend along the East Shore of Lough Foyle and, although the tide was not favourable, saw in excess of 200 Whoopers and 400 Brent Geese plus lots of the usual waders, gulls and ducks. The only other notables were 20 Bar-tailed Godwits and 4 Scaup.

In reply to the question about fieldfare, yes a few have arrived up here, but not yet in any numbers. The most I've seen so far was a group of 5 near Donnybrewer levels (on the banks of the Foyle).

Could you please have a word with the waxwings to head in this direction, as they seem to be everywhere in Northern Ireland except the northwest.

Regards Roger

waxwings

Roger&out said:
Hi Norma
I was out this weekend along the East Shore of Lough Foyle and, although the tide was not favourable, saw in excess of 200 Whoopers and 400 Brent Geese plus lots of the usual waders, gulls and ducks. The only other notables were 20 Bar-tailed Godwits and 4 Scaup.

In reply to the question about fieldfare, yes a few have arrived up here, but not yet in any numbers. The most I've seen so far was a group of 5 near Donnybrewer levels (on the banks of the Foyle).

Could you please have a word with the waxwings to head in this direction, as they seem to be everywhere in Northern Ireland except the northwest.

Regards Roger
Hi Roger
I spoke to the waxwings for you and they are now up in your part of the world! Ring Flightline 02890 467408...the message this evening states:

The waxwings are in Ballykelly on Station Road although flying about quite a bit as far as I understand. I hear there is a red throated diver off Myroe.

I'll have to get up to the Foyle..never seen a scaup and I want to see, and hear, all those whoopers. What about white fronted geese?

Norma

North Strangford Lough

Yesterday the forecast was gloomy but nevertheless Carol and I went out to see what we could see. She had spotted whooper swans the day before and I was itching to see them.
We started at Island Hill and couldn't believe how mild and windless it was. There were hundreds of little birds in the hedges next to the car park.

Lots of house sparrows, greenfinch and a good sized flock of linnets were what we saw first. Then spotted a reed bunting hiding in the middle of a thorn bush. Obligingly the linnets flew onto the telephone wire so that we had a better view. A meadow pipit sat on the line with them for comparison of size and shape.

Turning round to the shore the tide was well out but out amongst the cormorants we saw goldeneye, shelduck, brent geese and tufted duck on the water. Oystercatcher, redwing and dunlin in the mud.

Next stop Castle Espie
At the carpark we saw a flock of goldfinch. We sat in the little stone hide which must have been built a long time ago. It was so cold it felt like a coffin and once again the tide was against us. Have you ever tried eating your lunch in a coffin? .............brrr!
About 2 miles back towards Comber the river and the road are closer together. It's difficult to park but we found a wee space in a side road. From there we were looking down on the river and saw the whoopers in a field opposite - about 200 of them. Walking closer to the river through a little copse we could see loads of wigeon and teal, 4 more whoopers in the river bank...and best of all a greenshank whose white undercarriage stood out clearly.
North end of Strangford Lough near the head ...actually it's a bus stop layby beside a petrol station.
Light was fading but we had gone to ID some knot and compare them with dunlin. Bar tailed and black tailed godwit were working the mud aong with the knot, redshank, 100's of lapwing and were soon joined by about 2000 golden plover. What a thrilling sight to see them turn in symphony.

Homewards in the gathering gloom we spotted a buzzard along the side of the road. It was a great day despite the weather forecast!

Norma

Last edited:
Dundrum Bay, Newcastle Harbour & Killough

Today was overcast and mild (10C). Two of us made a tour of coastal County Down starting at Dundrum Bay with the tide well out.. A quick glance showed only a few birds but once the binoculars were focussed we saw that the mud was simply alive with waders.
Redshank, greenshank (1) , curlew, oystercatcher, turnstone, dunlin, ringed plover, golden plover, lapwing, heron, hooded crow, mallard, wigeon, shelduck (3), mute swan.
That was a good start to the day so we moved South to Newcastle beside the Slieve Donard hotel.
Red breasted Merganser (2) scoter (30), hodded crow, brent geese (100), dunlin, robin, pied wagtail.

Bloody Bridge razorbill, shag, cormorant, rook, oystercatcher.

Killough Harbour The tide was coming in rapidly here but we spotted the brents coming in to roost, rock and meadow pipits, pied wagtail (20), grey wagtail (1), curlew, gt BB gull, and best of all 4 twite - feeding on the ground. That's a first for me.

Norma

lost messages

Hi NI BF members,
It seems we have lost our messages posted since the beginning of December.
We'll just have to post twice as many to catch up again. I am off today to look for yellowhammers.

Norma

snowbuntings

Hi
I didn't manage to find the yellowhammers because the driving rain sent us the to the shelter of the hide at the harbour. We saw 2 juvenile and 1 adult Iceland gull and got one brief glimpse of a glaucous gull.
Moved back to the infill extension past the ferry terminal on Dargan Rd to see the snow buntings. They have been here for abot 6 weeks now and they actually came hopping towards the car!! One even went under the car...Birders have been feeding them so they are used to visitors.
I took the pictures below with my little digital camera at 3x zoom from the car window.

Attachments

• snowbunts3.jpg
    snowbunts3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 506
  • snowbunts1.jpg
    snowbunts1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 458
  • snowbunts2jpg.jpg
    snowbunts2jpg.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 414
Hello Norma! We are back in business!
You're photos of the Snow Buntings are much better than mine.Well Done.
I do think a box of trill might do the trick.
I will post later and tell you all about how we missed the Lesser Scaup and ended up frantically trying to find some Gulls!
I do think this thread does not look the same without a Gull photo so here is one especially for you!
All the best
Derek

Attachments

• ice whi.jpg
    ice whi.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 433
Hello Norma.We made an early start and set off for Enniskillen.We found Lough Barry no problem and sure enough the Lesser Scaup was present.He was on the far shore with the Tufted Ducks,but it was so cold and windy that it was impossible to get any sort of decent photo.A continental Cormarant was also present !
After this we went to Oxford Island and where able to compare Common Scaup.They are much larger with different head shape!
Of course no weekend would be complete without some gulls.7Iceland and 2 Glaucous at the Northforeshore tip and 7Iceland and 1 Glaucous at the RSPB reserve1 Ruff was also seen but the main attraction with the reserve was the warmth!
All the best
Derek

Attachments

• l scuap.jpg
    l scuap.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 457
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back