• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF (1 Viewer)

None really ..... The third change is switching the armor from black to gray and I think the surface feel is also a little different and it may feel thicker. I do not look at this as an improvement but as a styling change. I prerfer the gray because it has a noticeably cooler surface temperature out here in the AZ desert during a summer afternoon. It works for me because I am dumb enough to sometimes wonder about at that time of the year. The gray is more likely to show dirt than the black but I have not found it to be a problem.

The gray sold out on clearance for as much as $1,300 below the new black model. Other than the color, the gray could be udpdated to be the same as the black for free. I do remember coming across a person who was considering an SF saying they did not like the gray color and would not buy it on clearance even with that kind of savings. My thought was how short sighted since it probably could have been sent to Zeiss for new black armor even if it cost say $100 or so. Oh well .....
Good post all round Bruce :t:

At stupid extremes of temperature, solar radiation and heat soak, that has got to pay off optically - though by then most 'sensible' people would be in air-conditioned comfort having a cold beverage! B :)

Those that picked up the gray model on clearance did well - that's a more sensible price for a binocular :cat:

Chosun :gh:

And I thought someone had proclaimed the 'Alpha' to be dead... funny how the winds of change howl through this forum...;-)

From my standpoint, it was never born. It was created for folks to know some people were aficionados.

Bill

Lee,
And that is the one thing I love with people like Jerry who have heaps of experience vs us young ones. They stuff the political “niceties”. They just get straight to the point. So that allows one self to spend more time birding, discussing the best bino, watching Sir David Attenbrough or what ever tickle ones fancy.

SBB
The talent to say a lot in a few words, to be succinct, is a great one and when it is backed up by a wealth of field experience it adds greatly to the Forum. When this degenerates into a 'I tell it like it is, and couldn't care less about anyone elses experience or feelings' then it isn't welcome in our Bird Forum community. Most people here do care about other members and there is a terrific will to help others and give advice and information. This is one reason why the Forum has over 250,000 registered members and is the biggest of its kind in the world.

Lee

Bruce:

You have summed up the Zeiss SF very well, it is at the top of class.

That is why I get a little miffed with some who like to just criticize without
much positive to say about it. :smoke: Appreciating a quality binocular is not
hard, just takes some time.

I should not get so thin skinned, but sometimes, I can't help myself.

Jerry

Jerry

It is indeed irritating when what you consider to be important attributes of a bino get dismissed or go unmentioned by someone who appears to have spent hardly any time with it. But we all have different priorities and tastes and sometimes folks don't get the opportunity to try binos out in decent circumstances. Even the British Bird Fair doesn't always provide good conditions for trialling binos especially on the busiest days when folks are crowding around you while you try to hold a new model of binos steady.

And there is nothing wrong with being thin-skinned if it motivates you to post how your experience and assessment of a bino differs from someone else's, all it takes is to always assume that folks have the best of intentions and to word your replies to them accordingly.

Did you notice that Dennis came up with a great observation? He was talking about SF but it applies to all binos and he said we should appreciate them for what they are and not get obsessed with what they aren't. This is sage advice because for sure, no bino is perfect.

Lee

I am considering to buy my first top class binos. The new Zeiss is one of the possibilities. Is in this high quality range a 10x better than a 8x for birding?

I use it very often to watch bird migration. Less in woodlands. I always feel the necessity to see as much details of birds to identify them.

SB

This is one reason why the Forum has over 250,000 registered members and is the biggest of its kind in the world.

Lee

Under "How to cancel an account" it is stated that "There is normally no need to cancel a Birdforum account. If you expect not to need to post at Birdforum, you can simply stop visiting our site. There is nothing you need us to do.", so the 250,00 figure probably over estimates the number o active members.

I am considering to buy my first top class binos. The new Zeiss is one of the possibilities. Is in this high quality range a 10x better than a 8x for birding?

I use it very often to watch bird migration. Less in woodlands. I always feel the necessity to see as much details of birds to identify them.

Opinions differ on this aspect.
Some want the extra detail the 10x provides, other feel they get a more comfortably stable view in the 8x. The SF has a wider than usual FoV, so the 10x image is not as restricted as most 10x glasses, which is easier on the eyes for some.
Given the expense of the glass, you probably need to test them out side by side to be sure of your choice. Bird fairs are usually pretty good places for that kind of research, unless you have a very accommodating shop nearby.
The other option is to order both from Amazon and send back the one you don't want.

Under "How to cancel an account" it is stated that "There is normally no need to cancel a Birdforum account. If you expect not to need to post at Birdforum, you can simply stop visiting our site. There is nothing you need us to do.", so the 250,00 figure probably over estimates the number o active members.

Yes it does. But members become inactive for many different reasons and some return after a gap of weeks, months and years. And of course some folks pass away too. On the other hand you don't have to be a member to visit the site and read all the different forums and contributions including everything that takes place on the bino forum. As a non-member you can't post but then the vast majority of visitors don't post anyway. For example PeterPS's review of a GPO has had more than 9,000 hits but only 78 posts, and one of my old reviews had about 25 members posting on it but had over 12,000 hits the last time I looked.

So yes the number of 'active' registered members is less than 250,000 but this is undoubtedly augmented by many regular visitors who aren't registered because they don't wish to post.

Lee

I would try them both but if you are ordering try the 8x first. It will give you a bigger FOV , more DOF, easier eye placement and most importantly it will be easier to hold steady than the 10x. 10x can be hard to hold steady and any detail advantage it gives you can be lost to shaking unless you have IS.(Image Stabilization). IMO 8x42 is the ideal birding binocular.

Slipymor

Dennis is right about the details that are revealed by 10x magnification can be lost due to the unsteadiness of the image. Remember that this 'bino-shake' can be caused by both your own unsteadiness and by the wind shaking and buffeting your arms and body, and, if you have had to run or climb a steep hill even your heartbeat can add to this.

I find I can hold Zeiss SF steadier than some other 10x but other brands can be as steady. Do give 10x a good trial before you buy.

Lee

Being the quintessential underdog, I love stories of the underdog coming out on top. It’s kinda like when one of the best fighter pilots of WWII, and test pilots directly after, (Chuck Yeager, first to break the sound barrier) was not allowed to be an astronaut because he wasn’t a college grad.

Early in the life of the Zeiss Night Owl, I was visited by two Zeiss reps—one local, one national. Knowing that I had ordered a few and that I was a Zeiss fan, they—showing much pride—asked me what I thought of the Night Owl.

Bill: Two years.

Zeiss: What do you mean “two years”?

Bill: That’s about as much time as I will give it on the market.

Zeiss: It’s one of our newest and best products. What do you see that we don’t. It has our best optics.

Bill: Oh, I think your optics are superb—Zeiss all the way. It’s the mechanics that concern me. You drive a desk; and I drive 5 display cases visited by real live customers who often share their observations.

It is too heavy, it lacks balance, the focus mechanisms are atrocious and ... it’s ugly. Aunt Myrtle the retired birdwatcher likes lightweight and ... pretty.

The foremost focus wheel is not bad. However, the one most frequently used is hard to actuate—your finger often slides over the top with little movement. And, if you need gloves ... forget it.

After that, we got into more reasonable manufacturer / dealer discussion of many things.

As they left, one said: And, as far as the Night Owl, I guess time will tell.

TWO YEARS LATER

All the northwest Zeiss dealers were invited to a conference in Portland where we were introduced to the new Victory.

During the meeting, one dealer brought up the Night Owl. He was told that the Night Owl was being replaced by the Victory.

At that time, I raised my hand to ask just how long the Night Owl was in production. His response: “Two years.”

Knowing he had been one of my national visitors from two years prior, I asked again: “How long?”

Somewhere in his response, he recognized me, as he responded: “two ...... years.”

No one else knew the story and I didn’t pursue the matter. We both knew and that was good enough.

Screw turner 1: Zeiss engineer 0

Bill

Last edited:
Yep, I own one and everything you said was true. Amazing that they thought such a brick would appeal to the masses, regardless of how ''good'' it may have been optically.

Yep, I own one and everything you said was true. Amazing that they thought such a brick would appeal to the masses, regardless of how ''good'' it may have been optically.

Thanks! Sadly, some people get wrapped around the axle because of my straight talk. But, they would grow old scanning the various forums for where I made something up for the purpose of having something to say. Thus, not being able to find fault with my words, they are required to find fault with my delivery.

Doc Holliday died in bed. :cat:

Bill

Thanks! Sadly, some people get wrapped around the axle because of my straight talk. But, they would grow old scanning the various forums for where I made something up for the purpose of having something to say. Thus, not being able to find fault with my words, they are required to find fault with my delivery.

Doc Holliday died in bed. :cat:

Bill

To paraphrase:

"There are none so deaf as those who will not hear."

(or something like that)

Back in the day, I wanted that Night Owl so badly I couldn't see straight. At the time there was no way I could afford it. I could go on a "trip" out west for the same price as these binoculars. There was a nice, customer service oriented sporting goods store where I lived. They knew my name and me theirs. I'd go in there and when they weren't busy we'd talk binoculars. Chad introduced me to the Swarovski SLC at that time. Of course they WERE less than the Night Owls but still way out of my league price wise. Chad handed me a 10X42 and told me to take it home and try them for a few days, no obligation. Well I did....what a binocular! I brought them back and was like....AWESOME but.... Chad was like..."Have you got $300? If you do, you can pay me 1/3 now, 1/3 in 30 days, and 1/3 in 60 days." I never signed a piece of paper but I was true to my word and Chad his. Probably the single best optic purchase I've ever made. Well you have to know Chad made an impact on me and so did the Swarovski SLC 10x42 as I still have them.

Sorry off topic kinda...well not KINDA!

Hat's off to the independent sporting goods retailer of yesteryear that made so many things possible for I'm sure so many of us!

Being the quintessential underdog, I love stories of the underdog coming out on top. It’s kinda like when one of the best fighter pilots of WWII, and test pilots directly after, (Chuck Yeager, first to break the sound barrier) was not allowed to be an astronaut because he wasn’t a college grad.

Early in the life of the Zeiss Night Owl, I was visited by two Zeiss reps—one local, one national. Knowing that I had ordered a few and that I was a Zeiss fan, they—showing much pride—asked me what I thought of the Night Owl.

Bill: Two years.

Zeiss: What do you mean “two years”?

Bill: That’s about as much time as I will give it on the market.

Zeiss: It’s one of our newest and best products. What do you see that we don’t. It has our best optics.

Bill: Oh, I think your optics are superb—Zeiss all the way. It’s the mechanics that concern me. You drive a desk; and I drive 5 display cases visited by real live customers who often share their observations.

It is too heavy, it lacks balance, the focus mechanisms are atrocious and ... it’s ugly. Aunt Myrtle the retired birdwatcher likes lightweight and ... pretty.

The foremost focus wheel is not bad. However, the one most frequently used is hard to actuate—your finger often slides over the top with little movement. And, if you need gloves ... forget it.

After that, we got into more reasonable manufacturer / dealer discussion of many things.

As they left, one said: And, as far as the Night Owl, I guess time will tell.

TWO YEARS LATER

All the northwest Zeiss dealers were invited to a conference in Portland where we were introduced to the new Victory.

During the meeting, one dealer brought up the Night Owl. He was told that the Night Owl was being replaced by the Victory.

At that time, I raised my hand to ask just how long the Night Owl was in production. His response: “Two years.”

Knowing he had been one of my national visitors from two years prior, I asked again: “How long?”

Somewhere in his response, he recognized me, as he responded: “two ...... years.”

No one else knew the story and I didn’t pursue the matter. We both knew and that was good enough.

Screw turner 1: Zeiss engineer 0

Bill

Are you talking about this model made for 6 years 1994-2000 ?

https://www.allbinos.com/1687-Carl_Zeiss_Design_Selection_10x56_B_T*-binoculars_specifications.html

Nope. I am talking about the model that SOLD for 6 years; there's a difference. It’s like the official Fujinon ad that says the 7x50 FMT-SX has a 7.5-degree APPARENT FIELD OF VIEW when, in fact, it has a 52.5-degree APPARENT FIELD OF VIEW. (page 20 of my book)

Of course, it could be that the Zeiss reps lied. But, if so, I will be glad not to take responsibility for that. I think that’s fair. I don't always share the most accurate information. However, I do my very best. When a company THINKS a product is going to be a big seller they gear up for sales. When the product lays an egg, they are stuck with a surplus in inventory that takes a while to liquidate.

I am not picking on the Allbinos ad. However, throughout my career I have seen so many things in print that are pure horse dung that’s eaten up by the consumer, I chose not to believe everything I see in print.

As Richard Anderson said to Neville Brand in Tora, Tora, Tora

“Confirmation, Kaminski ... I want confirmation!”

Bill

Last edited:
Back in the day, I wanted that Night Owl so badly I couldn't see straight. At the time there was no way I could afford it. I could go on a "trip" out west for the same price as these binoculars. There was a nice, customer service oriented sporting goods store where I lived. They knew my name and me theirs. I'd go in there and when they weren't busy we'd talk binoculars. Chad introduced me to the Swarovski SLC at that time. Of course they WERE less than the Night Owls but still way out of my league price wise. Chad handed me a 10X42 and told me to take it home and try them for a few days, no obligation. Well I did....what a binocular! I brought them back and was like....AWESOME but.... Chad was like..."Have you got $300? If you do, you can pay me 1/3 now, 1/3 in 30 days, and 1/3 in 60 days." I never signed a piece of paper but I was true to my word and Chad his. Probably the single best optic purchase I've ever made. Well you have to know Chad made an impact on me and so did the Swarovski SLC 10x42 as I still have them.

Sorry off topic kinda...well not KINDA!

Hat's off to the independent sporting goods retailer of yesteryear that made so many things possible for I'm sure so many of us!

I really enjoyed reading that Chuck. Thank you for sharing.

I know where there is a gray pair with warranty card for $1999 US.

Would anybody here bite?

Maljunulo:

I assume you are speaking of my comment, as opposed to Jack’s. If so, that gray Fujinon FMTR-SX was Charlie Nemoto’s idea as a special offering to celebrate the 1992 America’s Cup race. From what I heard, my shop was not the only one in which they didn’t sell well and Charlie didn’t win any brownie points for the idea. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back