• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan birds ID help needed (1 Viewer)

Agree with others, plus:
4. most likely Eastern Buzzard (Buteo japonicus) although the individuals I saw in Hokkaido and Izu were all much paler below, I guess they are very variable like common buzzard (B. buteo)
18. Agree with above, probably Dusky Thrush but hard to tell from pic
25. Japanese tit - Parus minor ssp. minor
27. Slaty-backed gulls - bright pink legs and dark mantle

Thank you everyone for the corrections and IDs. Yes, as mentioned in my original post, I had already tried to ID them the best I can (and included the names in the photos) but no offense taken at all. Appreciate the help very much.
Unfortunately the leaf warbler was quite far off and I have included two more shots of it (cropped to about 5% of the original photo). The dusky thrush flew off before my camera could focus correctly. I spotted nearly 40 species this trip. It was not a birding trip so that's a very good count and I'm quite pleased about that.

Attachments

• P4220836.JPG
    P4220836.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P4220838.JPG
    P4220838.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back