• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Leupold make anything close to gold rings? (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Besides the weight, the review on the discontinued 10x42 gold rings were terrific but it seems there is nothing close to them in the current binoc offering. What happened to the gold ring and is there a equally good product from Leupold?

Besides the weight, the review on the discontinued 10x42 gold rings were terrific but it seems there is nothing close to them in the current binoc offering. What happened to the gold ring and is there a equally good product from Leupold?

They have dropped out of the higher end market with binoculars.

The answer is no, they do not have anything comparable.

They gave up, and the only current options are China clones.

Jerry

Ok,mtjats what it looked like but wondered if I was missing something. Surprising given the quality of things,d ring and their long history in optics

They have dropped out of the higher end market with binoculars.

The answer is no, they do not have anything comparable.

They gave up, and the only current options are China clones.

Jerry

Wrong again Jerry. The current high end Leupold, the Mojave BX-3 Pro Guide HD is totally Japanese. Yes some of the low end stuff has a MIC origin, but the majority of Leupold binoculars are Japanese origin. They have no product currently comparable closer than the Pro Guide HD.

As far as I know Leupold still has some future plans for a new Gold Ring. Their problem with the original was..."What $1,600 for a Leupold binocular are they nuts!!!". That was High end glass level price at the time and frankly were not viewed as a premium binocular, this was because the name was not Germanic. They were also viewed as too heavy. That particular complaint was voiced loudest by those who never tired one to begin with. Leupold made a further mistake when they tried to get the assembly of the Gold Rings done in house at Leupold. They jumped the gun and were not ready for the proper completion. When the first original completely kamakura models ran out, the quality of some of the first Leupold assembles ones was not right. The reputation of the Gold Ring suffered as a result. Even when Leupold got things sorted out, the impression of poor quality from the first Leupold assembly was never overcome. Hence they wound up in fire sale mode to clear the stock.

If you want a slightly improved Gold Ring binocular from Kamakura, I can positively recommend the Maven B1.

Last edited:
Steve:

If that is true, I stand corrected, but I am not wrong again.
You were one of the first to state the ZenRay Prime was going to be the next Swarovski EL.

You seem to be the one with current knowledge of some of the models now coming out of
Japan.

So how about a list of comparables, clones or whatever term you like ?

Jerry

Steve:

If that is true, I stand corrected, but I am not wrong again.
You were one of the first to state the ZenRay Prime was going to be the next Swarovski EL.

You seem to be the one with current knowledge of some of the models now coming out of
Japan.

So how about a list of comparables, clones or whatever term you like ?

Jerry

Jerry,

Pay attention please and stay on point. Where did that baloney about the ZEN Prime and the Swarovision come from? It is not part of the original post, nor part of my response. For that matter you are wrong again there anyway.

You have this apparent tendency or perhaps an inability to be unable to see past the end of your nose unless thee optic is Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, or Leica. If it is not sourced by one of these magic places, you seem to be prone to bash it as a China Clone. Now as for your request for a list, forget it. You were the one who introduced the China Clone, you may feel free to both define it and to do your own list.

Have a good Holiday Season ;)

Did they ever mention a time frame of when they will develop
the new GR?

Not during any conversations I had with them. However it has been a few months since I talked to anybody there, so plans may have changed. However I can't say about the timeline.

To reiterate my first post, either a Maven B1 for the 42 mm or the B3 for the 32 mm would be a superior optical substitute for a Gold Ring. Better light transmission and reduced weight.

Not during any conversations I had with them. However it has been a few months since I talked to anybody there, so plans may have changed. However I can't say about the timeline.

To reiterate my first post, either a Maven B1 for the 42 mm or the B3 for the 32 mm would be a superior optical substitute for a Gold Ring. Better light transmission and reduced weight.

Thanks Steve.

The small EP and 15mm ER of the 8x30 doesn't make the cut for me. This wouldn't do well with my eyeglasses.
Their bigger bins are WAY too heavy for me. These are for big burly hunters who don't mind this type of weight.
I do like the idea of customizable armor though.

I'd still much rather see a new GR if it will at least be assembled in the Oregon plant...that would be great.
Lighter than the old version will be a huge plus too.

Help me out here. You are asking about the Gold Ring bere, which is a very heavy binocular. Yet you say a lighter Maven is too heavy.

Help me out here. You are asking about the Gold Ring bere, which is a very heavy binocular. Yet you say a lighter Maven is too heavy.

No, I was inquiring about a future GR, not the heavy discontinued one.
I'm hoping a new GR will be much lighter than the previous.

The 30mm Maven is light. Their full size bins are quite heavy.

Last edited:
No, I was inquiring about a future GR, not the heavy discontinued one.
I'm hoping a new GR will be much lighter than the previous.

The 30mm Maven is light. Their full size bins are quite heavy.

OK, I think I have the idea now ;).

Let me edit to add that if you are looking for a 42 mm glass that is much lighter than, well the B1 for example, you are going to need to accept some compromises it would seem. Since this is on the Leupold sub forum, let's consider the Mojave Pro Guide HD. It probably will satisfy your need for a pretty compact and not too heavy binocular. It has flourite glass elements and really gives a pretty nice image. While it has an afov of 60* at either 8x or 10x, the images are a bit narrower than some of their competition. I have no idea how much emphasis you place here, but in my opinion, that is a slight something you might consider compromising on. It seems I'd rather have a lighter, compact class with a full 42 mm objective that met my size criteria, and gave a good image, even if I had to give up a half degree of fov. How you regard this may be entirely different.

I's also suggest you look at a Nikon Monarch 7 or a Zeiss Conquest HD. I don't know what your price limit is, but those seem pretty compact to me. They are also capable of more than good enough images.

Last edited:
Jerry,

Pay attention please and stay on point. Where did that baloney about the ZEN Prime and the Swarovision come from? It is not part of the original post, nor part of my response. For that matter you are wrong again there anyway.

You have this apparent tendency or perhaps an inability to be unable to see past the end of your nose unless thee optic is Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, or Leica. If it is not sourced by one of these magic places, you seem to be prone to bash it as a China Clone. Now as for your request for a list, forget it. You were the one who introduced the China Clone, you may feel free to both define it and to do your own list.

Have a good Holiday Season ;)

Steve:

I guess we may differ in some of our optics choices, I am conservative
and look for long term value in my purchase.

You are more on the cutting edge looking for some new products,
and good for you.

By the way, I own several Japanese and China made binoculars,
they get the job done.
Jerry

OK, I think I have the idea now ;).

Let me edit to add that if you are looking for a 42 mm glass that is much lighter than, well the B1 for example, you are going to need to accept some compromises it would seem. Since this is on the Leupold sub forum, let's consider the Mojave Pro Guide HD. It probably will satisfy your need for a pretty compact and not too heavy binocular. It has flourite glass elements and really gives a pretty nice image. While it has an afov of 60* at either 8x or 10x, the images are a bit narrower than some of their competition. I have no idea how much emphasis you place here, but in my opinion, that is a slight something you might consider compromising on. It seems I'd rather have a lighter, compact class with a full 42 mm objective that met my size criteria, and gave a good image, even if I had to give up a half degree of fov. How you regard this may be entirely different.

I's also suggest you look at a Nikon Monarch 7 or a Zeiss Conquest HD. I don't know what your price limit is, but those seem pretty compact to me. They are also capable of more than good enough images.

Thanks Steve...I always value your advice.
I do have a compact and rather light 8x42...it's the Opticron Countryman HD and it's 5.4 inches long and weighs 24 oz. It has a narrow-ish FOV at 366ft. The optics are very good which is why I'm sticking with it for awhile.
I've had it for well over a year now and maybe will go another year or so with it.

But, I think this one is not a long term keeper for me and eventually I want to seek a replacement. I like the Razor HD 8x42 and the new Trinovid HD looks nice, but I will also consider an 8x32 if there is one I can tolerate with my eyeglasses. This is all down the road in the future and I'm not really looking seriously right now. I realize the really good optics are usually heavier than I'd prefer in the 42mm, so that's something I need to think about. I guess the Razor cuts corners by reducing body armor and who knows what else. They managed to make it pretty light yet very nice optics.

Steve:
By the way, I own several Japanese and China made binoculars,
they get the job done.
Jerry

Wow, that took the wind out of my sails ;). However after I recovered, it dawned on me the names of your Chinese and Japanese binoculars likely come from some combination of the following. Nikon Prostaff, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Terra ED, and Zeiss Conquest HD.

Brand name security intact :t:

Wow, that took the wind out of my sails ;). However after I recovered, it dawned on me the names of your Chinese and Japanese binoculars likely come from some combination of the following. Nikon Prostaff, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Terra ED, and Zeiss Conquest HD.

Brand name security intact :t:

Steve:

I am not sure of your intentions, but we both can have some fun. ;)

I like Leupold, especially the Yosemite models, they are very good, the 6x30 is my favorite. And by the way, they have a $25. rebate
right now until Dec. 31st. That makes them a very nice buy, I think it
was reported on the bargain thread.

One thing that is important to me is warranty, and long term value.
The brands you have mentioned have that, along with Leupold.

I am not sure if you have tried a couple of well recommended Japanese
made binoculars, the SE and the EII models, in any size.
They do compare well to many of the top binoculars available today.

Jerry

Edit:
I am in the Christmas spirit, which one of the Nikon porros would you like
for a test drive ? I have found life is short, enjoy and share the spirit.
Just let me know by PM.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back