• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sony alpha 350 (1 Viewer)

Jaxman

Does anyone have experience of the Sony alpha 350? Looking at my first steps into the world of DSLR,

thanks.

Hi Jaxman, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with the a350, but I found an extensive review of this camera along with sample images here:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/reviews/sony-a350-review

Of particular relevance to your question is this quote from the review:
"For an entry level DSLR consumer it should be an easy to use camera that is capable of impressive results when they get to know it."

All in all it seems like a very impressive camera, let me know what you buy!

valzuniga

Last edited:
Many thanks for the link, a great source of information. i have asked around in local camera shops and the sony comes highly recommended, even over the more popular brands in the same price range. With the extra features on the 350 I am tempted!

Hi, Just bought one 3 weeks ago and it is excellent.
I was a bit off put by the body as it is made from plastic, however most are now. I am used to a rather solid Canon T90. But the 350 is lighter and easier to carry round.

The one "problem" if it is so, is that with 14.2 Mpixels you need a damn good lens, and these are not cheap. I would like the Sigma 135-400 and that is £360 and that is one of the less expensive. £600-1500 is common, have a look at the Sigma site for lens options then go look at prices Warehouseexpress is typical.

As an example many of the reviews when it came out said that you should think of buying the Carl Zeiss lens (Sony now own CZ) to get the best out of it. They rarely mentioned that the CZ lens is £1200-1400.:eek!:

I do wonder if a 10-12 MP camera would have been better. Noise gets worse as the number of pixels goes up and I have seen reviews where a 10MP camera gave as good a result as the 350.

The 350's screen hinges up and down well and is on decent mounts. I would like a cover for the rear screen, just for general protection.

Finally do you REALLY need the 350 with all it's bells and whistles? I suspect that I don't and could have purchased something a little less costly. However the bells and whistles was only a part of the reason I bought it. An experience with Canon and the T90 made we pick a camera model that had just come out and the 350 is that.

One other thing I wear glasses and with the lens I need I find that viewing via the rear screen is not comfortable. So the nice hinging screen with live view is a bit lost on me.:-O

a350 & Sigma 170 - 500mm

I enjoy my a350 and here is a pic I took 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• DSC00429b.JPG
    DSC00429b.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 298
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back