• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Point and Shoot Cameras (1 Viewer)

PTPIER

I'm looking into a new point-and-shoot camera for bird photography and the Sony Cybershot DSC-H5 along with the Canon Powershot S3 IS have got my attention. Any feedback of advantages/disadvantages with these two choices or should I be looking elsewhere. They appear to be in the same price range.
Thanks,
Paul

Well, if no one else is going to...

I do not have one, but my mother uses an earlier incarnation of the Sony (I think it's an H2). The shots she gets are great records of her travels and she has some very nice bird images. The quality does not really compare to that of a DSLR, but a DSLR does not fit in a pocket. It is quick to use and the IS works well. One problem is finding your target on the LCD screen or viewfinder if there is a messy background, such as if the bird is in a tangle of vegetation. It makes good A4 prints from the best images, and even small crops look great on a TV screen.

If you want to compare models, check out www.dpreview.com

Hope that helps.

Many thanks, I really appreciate your input
Paul

jdj said:
Well, if no one else is going to...

I do not have one, but my mother uses an earlier incarnation of the Sony (I think it's an H2). The shots she gets are great records of her travels and she has some very nice bird images. The quality does not really compare to that of a DSLR, but a DSLR does not fit in a pocket. It is quick to use and the IS works well. One problem is finding your target on the LCD screen or viewfinder if there is a messy background, such as if the bird is in a tangle of vegetation. It makes good A4 prints from the best images, and even small crops look great on a TV screen.

If you want to compare models, check out www.dpreview.com

Hope that helps.

Paul, if you can wait a little bit longer, Sony are going to bring out more updated versions of the H series, plus Canon have announced more camera's, which should be good. The S3 is a little cracker. So it may be reduced in cost when the newer ones arrive.

Last edited:
THANKS EVERYONE - you have been very helpful
Paul

pe'rigin said:
Paul, if you can wait a little bit longer, Sony are going to bring out more updated versions of the H series, plus Canon have announced more camera's, which should be good. The S3 is a little cracker. So it may be reduced in cost when the newer ones arrive.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back