• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BirdFeeder (1 Viewer)

welove2travel

HI,

I put up a milk cartoon container with sun flower seeds and a suet feeder. No birds came. I have a lot of trees in the yard but I never see any birds at all.

Birds find food by sight, so they have to find it. If its hidden by trees, it'll take longer for them to find. Be patient, they'll eventually find it. Birds also look for other birds, so once a few of them are hanging around, more will see them and come to investigate.

be patient. And I would put some water out too. in any old container (if it is a bit deep but a rock in the middle for the birds to perch on)

like joe says, once one bird comes, there WILL be more! :)

Birds are at both my suet feeders and a peanut feeder filled with sunflower seeds. I saw two blueish birds with orange chests a cardinal and several titmice

I'm not sure where you are located, but a blueish bird with an orange chest would be a bluebird. Nice bird to have around!

I think it is bluebirds, they have been hanging around somewhat. See pics. I also think some kind of wren is there and anther bird I don't know what it is... maybe a goldfinch?

titmouse, chicadee, and a woodpecker have also been seen with juncos running around on the ground.

Attachments

• un2.jpg
    un2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 82
  • bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 93
  • dunno1.jpg
    dunno1.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 99
I do indeed see a carolina wren, and an american goldfinch, and of course your bluebirds. What a great group of birds to have. I'd trade my house sparrows and mourning doves for them anyday. I get goldfinches, but I don't think the bluebirds or wrens would dare try to tough out the winter here.

"Birds find food by sight", that's a generalization innit?

Well, I don't know if I'd say it's a generalization, but I suppose it's a somewhat simple way of saying it. Birds use their sight to find food, as opposed to being able to find food by the use of other senses, such as smell, like a raccoon or other mammal. Now, obviously there are exceptions, like vultures, who can indeed find food by smell. Here's a little nugget of trivia: The smell of natural gas is made to resemble a rotting carcass, so that if there is a leak on a pipeline, the circling vultures will tell the utility workers where it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back