• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Oland area (July) (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I intend visiting the Oland area for a few days of bird photography in July and would appreciate any help or advice as to specific areas or sites that may be best for a early July visit.
I have read some general information concerning the area but would really appreciate more detailed information regarding what can be seen and where.
I have yet to buy an area map so details on location etc would be really helpful in order for me to start planning my trip.
I shall be travelling to the area from Eskilsuna and I believe this will entail maybe a 5-7 hour drive ?
To break the journey up I would also appreciate any recommended sites to visit whilst on route.

Any help very much appreciated.

Straight to Öland from Eskilstuna is about 5 hours. Start with a trip to Stenåsa on the ast coast and the Nature Bookshop there. Buy "Fågellokaler på Öland", a great guide book för birding sites.

Two recommended sites of many:

Beijershamn on the west coast, saw my my first Citrine Wagtail there.

Ottenby in the south, the grooves has lots of nesting birds. Sure place for Collared Flycatcher. On the southern tip the lighthouse, café and birdstation is well worth a visit.

My recommendation would be to concentrate your trip to the southern part ot the island. Beware of huge crowds of tourists. Early mornings are very much calmer than later in the day.

Thanks Wachtel - very useful information and much appreciated.
I shall certainly buy a copy of the book you mention and as I will be staying 3 nights on Oland a trip to the birdstation is cerainly a must.
Hopefully I might be able to photograph the Collared Flycatchers you mention but with a lot of these things I'm sure an element of luck may be required to get some decent shots.
Ottenby certainly sounds a great place to visit and it seems there might still be plenty to see there even in July which probably isn't the most productive month.
Really looking forward to my visit now and hoping to visit Knuthöjdsmossen, Hällefors also. It is somewhere that has been recommended and I'm hoping it too will be good for photography in July.
If you ever intend visiting England or the UK at any time birdwatching, please feel free to get in touch should I be able to return the favour and assist regarding sites / information etc.

Straight to Öland from Eskilstuna is about 5 hours. Start with a trip to Stenåsa on the ast coast and the Nature Bookshop there. Buy "Fågellokaler på Öland", a great guide book för birding sites.

Two recommended sites of many:

Beijershamn on the west coast, saw my my first Citrine Wagtail there.

Ottenby in the south, the grooves has lots of nesting birds. Sure place for Collared Flycatcher. On the southern tip the lighthouse, café and birdstation is well worth a visit.

My recommendation would be to concentrate your trip to the southern part ot the island. Beware of huge crowds of tourists. Early mornings are very much calmer than later in the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back