• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in and around cardiff (1 Viewer)

ickle_vicki

someone said to post this here so here goes:

I'm a student at cardiff uni but still want to carry on my bird watching.

Does anyone here know of decent areas in and around cardiff to go. At present I just go to Bute Park which is rather good but i'd like to go somewhere new.

Vicki

Hi vicki- why dont you head for Kenfig Pool and get the Redhead (theres also Bittern and Cettis Warbler about there as well i think)? I think its only about half an hour away from cardiff down the M4 (if u have a car or can get a lift) down by Port Talbot

Hello vicki, check out the glamorgan bird club, and gwent ornithological soc websites, they'll give you some ideas. In Cardiff itself the bay gets good birds at times, slav grebe last week, view either from the red house or st davids hotel (or both). There is a lake down by the rumney estuary on the east side of cardiff that can at times hold birds so you can combine a visit to the two. On the east side of Newport the Gwent Wetlands reserve is well worth a number of visits, the uskmouth end can be good during the winter months, the goldcliff end better during spring and autumn. Kenfig as mentioned earlier is a good place to visit. The far end of Bute park itself has lesser spotted woodpecker which are easist to see in spring (up by the riding stables at llandaff). Good Luck John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back